Page 318 of 326 FirstFirst ... 218268308314315316317318319320321322 ... LastLast
Results 6,341 to 6,360 of 6512

Thread: **Official UFC thread**

Load Metric
    most of the posts were in the VIP forum to be fair.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    It's sad that we have this great thread & one of the best events ever last night generated exactly zero new posts. Every fight was good & there was even some spectacular finishes & controversial stoppages but nothing.

I guess we'll just have to busy ourselves with reading for the millionth time about how Trump is to blame for everything wrong in the world but not really because Obama was black.

& you wonder why this place is dying a slow death.

Even radio last night had only 5 guys in chat with zero conversation happening. Nothing. Sad indeed!

I posted in the wagering thread on it. First time I’ve ever seen a split decision 30-27, 27,30 29-28

Load Metric
    because Obama

wow wild coincidence

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    maybe the most interesting thing from UFC 249 was the "anti-disparagement" waiver the UFC made everyone sign. Like, everyone. Fighters, coaches, media, anyone who was gonna be in the building. This is the type of thing you would think a company in an anti-trust case wouldn't do, but 2020 America, etc...

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/5/1...oronavirus-mma

Load Metric
    Figured tonight would be a let down after 249 but it’s been entertaining.

Anyone watching?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Figured tonight would be a let down after 249 but it’s been entertaining.

Anyone watching?
    was mostly watching survivor with the fights on in the background, started really watching at the Dober fight. Not bad shit for a wednesday nite. Weird co-main kinda, but interesting anyway. How loud can OSP's breathing get?

On a side note, Jonathan Snowden's book on Ken Shamrock is pretty awesome, highly recommended. It's a warts and all telling, and there are puh-lenty of warts in the Shamrock story. Easily the best fighter bio I've ever read. https://www.amazon.com/Shamrock-Worl.../dp/B087NW18J1

Load Metric
    Smith was brave but he took a hellacious beating last night, it was hard to watch, too tough for his own good. Broken orbital bone, broken nose, lost 2 teeth and his veneers. During the fight Smith handed one of his teeth to the ref and Glover apologized to him, Smith responded and told him it was ok. Glover may just be the toughest plus 40 year old on the planet but he also seems like a sweetheart.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by peter mcneil View Post
    Smith was brave but he took a hellacious beating last night, it was hard to watch, too tough for his own good. Broken orbital bone, broken nose, lost 2 teeth and his veneers. During the fight Smith handed one of his teeth to the ref and Glover apologized to him, Smith responded and told him it was ok. Glover may just be the toughest plus 40 year old on the planet but he also seems like a sweetheart.
    Cruz complained that they stopped the fight too quick. You wonder what the ref was thinking last night?

He clearly should have stopped the fight a couple times and Smith's corner should have thrown in the towel before the 5th round.

Question for everyone. Hows is there going to be an event on May 30th where they don't even have the card ready? I think after this Saturday's event they may hold off for a few more weeks unless Dana has told everyone to cut weight and be ready at a moment's notice? No chance that big names would go for that.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post

Question for everyone. Hows is there going to be an event on May 30th where they don't even have the card ready? I think after this Saturday's event they may hold off for a few more weeks unless Dana has told everyone to cut weight and be ready at a moment's notice? No chance that big names would go for that.
    They don't even have a location yet. It's probably gonna be at the UFC APEX if it happens, but they still need the NV commission to lift their combat sports ban.

Normally, I'd expect the commission to lift the ban as long as they follow whatever protocols they come up with, because no UFC events, no money to fund the commission. The money comes from the live gate, though, at least under normal circumstances. Is it even worth it for Nevada to allow this event to happen when they cant really make any real money off it, but would still have to provide all the normal officials, if not more than normal? Florida let events happen, but its Florida, they're not exactly a barometer for what anyone else would do.

No card, no location, 14 and a half days until weigh-ins, that doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Also, the NAC doesn't have any meetings scheduled on their calendar this month.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Load Metric
    How the F did the Ref not stop the Overeem fight early in the 1st. JFC he was on his back and having hammer fists rained down on him. That’s insane.

Load Metric
    I dont think refs ever like to call heavyweight fights quick in the first round, not when a guy can still protect their head with their arms even a little bit. As quick as atom weights can get knocked out then recover in a fraction of a second, the big heavyweights take tangibly longer for their bodies to wake up from the same flash KOs, so its much more obvious when they happen. Reem is a guy who can get flatlined, we've seen it plenty in his career, and Walt couldn't make it happen. Ref made the right non-call.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    So Conor has been trying to level Justin Gaethje for a bit into fighting him. I get it's a money fight but Gaethje isn't being pulled in here so far from any of these tactics as he's set on Khabib for the title.

From a money aspect and more recognition he probably can wipe over rated McGregor outta here if he wants I am that sold from his fight with Ferguson that Conor would be a dead man walking in this one.

Load Metric
    pretty sure conor obliterates him. like honestly.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    pretty sure conor obliterates him. like honestly.
    You also thought Amanda Nunes would get crushed by Cyborg so there is that.

Regardless tho it makes more sense for Gaethje to hold out for the guaranteed title shot versus Khabib because McGregor is still a future option afterwards.

Comments

sonatine: i do tend to think things

Load Metric
    I think Conor has a 7 minute window to put Gaethje away and after that he gets pieced up, probably gives up his neck and taps out. My guess is Conor does a fight at 170lbs first to protect his 155lb ranking (Masvidal or Diaz?) Then fights the winner of Gaethje vs Khabib.

Load Metric
    lol @ anyone just dismissing the "over rated" McGregor's chances against Gaethje.

Like, fuck off.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    lol @ anyone just dismissing the "over rated" McGregor's chances against Gaethje.

Like, fuck off.

Over rated is a strong term for me to use I suppose but we are talking about elite fighters here and I just don't see Conor in a top 3ish in his weight class(es) caliber in these times.

To each their own I suppose he's shown moments of being very impressive and is very skilled I'm not saying he isn't but he won't persuade me ever from word play fight hype up antics.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post

Like, fuck off.

Over rated is a strong term for me to use I suppose but we are talking about elite fighters here and I just don't see Conor in a top 3ish in his weight class(es) caliber in these times.

To each their own I suppose he's shown moments of being very impressive and is very skilled I'm not saying he isn't but he won't persuade me ever from word play fight hype up antics.
    Moments like when he made Cowboy look like a Cowgirl?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmarefish View Post

Beating Cowboy at this stage even in an impressive way isn't that amazing. I love Cowboy as a fighter but the guy has so much mileage on him and goes into many fights without any strategy he just tries to use his natural abilities to win that isn't good enough plenty of times.

Conor owned him I'll say that much but did Cowboy really have a plan here?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmarefish View Post

Beating Cowboy at this stage even in an impressive way isn't that amazing. I love Cowboy as a fighter but the guy has so much mileage on him and goes into many fights without any strategy he just tries to use his natural abilities to win that isn't good enough plenty of times.

Conor owned him I'll say that much but did Cowboy really have a plan here?
    No one has done anything close to that to Cowboy. Cowboy just fought Pettis and lost a decision (I thought he won the fight). Conor abused that man, it was sad honestly.

Thread Information