Thread: Chess with friends

Load Metric

Chess with friends

Anybody play? I'm terrible but trying to get more games in. Grand puba

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Chess is better than poker imo

Load Metric
    Last time I mobilized a Bishop it was in a Catholic Church.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post
    Last time I mobilized a Bishop it was in a Catholic Church.

Load Metric
    Anybody else watch the re-burial of Richard III?

Comments

RegGaymer: shut it down you rambling mess

Lord of the Fraud: i did - offset

Load Metric
    Somebody crush reg's soul for me, i'm going out and getting drunk.

Load Metric
    0-0 > 0-0-0
    Save a Cow - Eat a Vegetarian, they're grass-fed.

Load Metric
    I quit playing and studying when i was 12 years old. I didn't see a future for myself in professional chess. Way less than a 1% of all the players ever make a living playing and if you didn't put in your 10k hours training before your early teens you likely have no shot at it.

I played a lot against my uncle as a kid. Out of 2k matches i got 1 draw. I figured he was soft playing, tired and/or had migraine. I think he was around 2k elo player in the 90s. He mostly played and studied chess for 2 decades. But he wasn't good enough to make living out of it.

Chess is a brutal game.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmick View Post
    I quit playing and studying when i was 12 years old. I didn't see a future for myself in professional chess. Way less than a 1% of all the players ever make a living playing and if you didn't put in your 10k hours training before your early teens you likely have no shot at it.

I played a lot against my uncle as a kid. Out of 2k matches i got 1 draw. I figured he was soft playing, tired and/or had migraine. I think he was around 2k elo player in the 90s. He mostly played and studied chess for 2 decades. But he wasn't good enough to make living out of it.

Chess is a brutal game.
    At a guess I think a player would have to be 2500+ rating to make a living at it.

It can be brutal and frustrating, but also quite fun and rewarding. It's more of a gentleman's game, doesn't attract the degen crowd because of the lack of money buy-in games.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by RegGaymer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmick View Post

Chess is a brutal game.
    At a guess I think a player would have to be 2500+ rating to make a living at it.

It can be brutal and frustrating, but also quite fun and rewarding. It's more of a gentleman's game, doesn't attract the degen crowd because of the lack of money buy-in games.
    Doesn;t get degen crowd because luck plays almost zero role in outcome. games with low variance will never get degen crowd. Wish I would have studied chess when I was younger or taken it more seriously.

Load Metric
    I'm talking about the app and playing for fun. Not sure how being a professional got brought into this.

Load Metric
    Fucking chess.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Lothario whats your rating these days?

Comments

Suicide King: No clue

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    No, I just couldn't bear it, too soon as they say.

But I did hear about the story on Snap Judgment, another Podcast worth a listen. Very strange stuff, and maybe one for the conspiracy theorists to take a look at because the woman who was researching his story basically acted as a human bone sensing divining rod and said something to the effect of "dig here' at a parking lot and yeah well they found him.

Apparently he was dumped in or near a lavatory of sorts and then those who did the dumping kept dumping on him verbally, so muck so that his distant relatives had troubles qualifying for a credit card.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    No, I just couldn't bear it, too soon as they say.

But I did hear about the story on Snap Judgment, another Podcast worth a listen. Very strange stuff, and maybe one for the conspiracy theorists to take a look at because the woman who was researching his story basically acted as a human bone sensing divining rod and said something to the effect of "dig here' at a parking lot and yeah well they found him.

Apparently he was dumped in or near a lavatory of sorts and then those who did the dumping kept dumping on him verbally, so muck so that his distant relatives had troubles qualifying for a credit card.
    Better than your conspiracy theory, when they went to dig him up, they picked a spot in the parking lot marked with a large letter R.

documentary stream: http://fullepisode.info/richard-iii-...-the-car-park/
    a different doc: http://fullepisode.info/secrets-of-t...g-richard-iii/
    and yet a third: http://fullepisode.info/the-kings-sk...-iii-revealed/
    a stream of the burial: http://videobull.to/richard-iii-the-burial-of-the-king/

Load Metric
    i play chess since the 80s, learned frome some books

now the technology changed it all

now everyone is solid

back in the day there were a handful of GMs

now there are 1000s of Grandmasters, even 12 or 13 year olds

game databases, programs and Internet people to play against

and there´s still no money in chess (for most of the players)

poker is simpler and more lucrative

but i still love chess and play in some team games (offline)

and watch some training videos of Karpov and Carlsen

by the way, i have 2040 international rating (highest was 2165)

Comments

sonatine: 2040 = made chess nigga

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I'm the Borispoker Othello champion

Load Metric
    Most i hated about chess was memorizing openings and knowing there was no way around it. It's just too effective and even though i'm fairly solid in the delusion of grandeur department, i didn't think it was too likely i was ever going to come up with say a better 4th move of any known opening when players before me had collectively studied that opening for millions of hours. I could also see that the length of openings would keep inflating.

I still have random memories from the 80's and early 90's playing against chess computers and following the most important matches from chess magazines. Being around chess players as a child also prepared me how to deal with a variety of characters. The spectrum of people that devout most of their time to studying a single game for decades tends to vary from mildly insane to bat shit crazy. Still mostly nice people.

Load Metric
    effectively memorizing the standard openings and spending 10 minutes on middle/endgame basics will take you to a solid 1650 rating on the most popular chess sites, thats how important they are. particularly with blitz/bullet where youre under time pressure long before you hit middle game.

that said.

knowing a couple of common openings super intimately and having strong middle/endgame instincts is also the grounds for a solid 1650-1750 rating. but you'll never go higher, you cant evolve past that point really ratings-wise if you dont start to study the other opening books.

basically you can only beat very bad players if you fuck up an opening and they dont.

i studied under an excellent eastern euro IM for some time in my late 20s and was able to tread water at the 1700-1800 level but i knew, absolutely, that if i wanted to go a point beyond that, chess was going to utterly take over my life. i was already having chess dreams pretty much every single night and it was getting scary. so i bailed because if im going to get that fucking crazy about something it needed to be something profitable.

i still play and maintain about a 1750 rating for standard chess (24h+ per move), but my bullet/blitz rating can vary from 1350-1680 depending on my emotional disposition/ability to concentrate/general sense of life alignment. which is crazy fucking variance and underscores how much the game really demands in terms of mental acumen and conditioning.

Load Metric
    I like the piece with the horse.

Thread Information