Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Terrorism is mostly bullshit

Load Metric

Terrorism is mostly bullshit

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/boko-har...year-hrw-says/

Nigeria has a population of 174 million.

The US has a population of 300 million or so and we've had 3905 homicides in 2015 already.

You are literally more likely to be murdered in the US than being killed by Boko Harem in Nigeria.

Comments

anonamoose: terrorist attacks aren't necessarily about deaths, it's about causing...terror. derp.

FRANKRIZZO: fuck off biatch and die in a greassy aids fire :)

Load Metric
    You are also likely to have to live in Nigeria if you are in Nigeria.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ToasterOven View Post
    The US has a population of 300 million or so and we've had 3905 homicides in 2015 already.
    That seemed like a staggering number to me, but I just looked it up (lol Wikipedia) and it's about par for the course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._homicide_rate

As far as homicide rate goes, we're quite low on that list. Not even top 100.

Another article (lol Wikipedia) claims that obesity causes ~120,000 deaths per year in the United States. That's insane, but then again, it's less than one half of one tenth of one percent of the population. There's a lot of people in this country, it's hard to wrap your head around sometimes.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    That seemed like a staggering number to me, but I just looked it up (lol Wikipedia) and it's about par for the course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._homicide_rate

As far as homicide rate goes, we're quite low on that list. Not even top 100.

Another article (lol Wikipedia) claims that obesity causes ~120,000 deaths per year in the United States. That's insane, but then again, it's less than one half of one tenth of one percent of the population. There's a lot of people in this country, it's hard to wrap your head around sometimes.
    The US usually has about 16k homicides a year.

Banned
    Load Metric
    The US usually has about 16k homicides a year.
    That what I meant by par for the course. We're about 25% through this year, right on pace for 16k.

Load Metric

You are literally more likely to be murdered in the US than being killed by Boko Harem in Nigeria.

Not if you went around telling everyone you were an American and were in Boko Harem territory in Nigeria. Then the odds of you being killed are like astronomically high.

Question is moot.

Load Metric
    Bullshit, no

But terrorism has been purposely overhyped to the general public for two decades now..

What is bullshit though is the shit that the US government has pulled while screaming "terrorism" in your faces.

If the muslamics really wanted to get you.... they would and they could.

As for Nigeria. I'd rather spend 2 weeks in a gay prison that 2 weeks in that shithole of a country.
    http://pnimg.net/w/articles-attachments/1/4c2/74d75c36d2.jpg

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post

Not if you went around telling everyone you were an American and were in Boko Harem territory in Nigeria. Then the odds of you being killed are like astronomically high.

Question is moot.
    Walking around Chicago's southside telling everyone you were in the KKK might be worse.

Load Metric
    Aside from Obamacare and Hillary not using the government email server, it's basically all the right has to hold on to.

It's amazing to see how much time Fox News dedicates to shit that isn't happening in this country.

That said, it definitely is a problem that can't be ignored. You're thinking short term if you don't think this is an issue.

Comments

LLL: point

Load Metric
    no need to say anything about the kkk to get yourself killed

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post

Question is moot.
    Walking around Chicago's southside telling everyone you were in the KKK might be worse.
    Rather be shot dead in the street than beheaded by a pocket knife. No comparison imo.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    9/11 proved that terrorists aren't looking to just kill tens or hundreds of people, but are always looking for ways to kill thousands, tens of thousands, or more. So yes, it's a real issue. You shouldn't wait for a catastrophe before you take terrorism seriously.

There's also the psychological aspect.

I have this debate often with Israelis I know.

Israeli: Americans make such a big deal about the terrorism in Israel, but you are much more likely to be killed in a murder in the US than you are terrorism in Israel.

Me: Yes, but you can dramatically lower the chance you are a victim of a murder in the US by staying out of high-crime areas and staying away from dangerous situations. With terrorist attacks, there's nothing you can do to avoid it besides stay home.

Israeli: Still, the number of people who die in terrorist attacks in Israel is very small compared to our population.

Me: True, but it sucks to have to fear it and look over your shoulder everywhere you go. You walk around with the feeling that you're never safe, and you have to get nervous around anyone (especially Arab) acting suspiciously. We don't have that situation in the US.

One of my friends traveled to Israel recently and rode a bus there. A suspicious-looking Arab guy got on the bus, in a large jacket, and sat down. Everyone went silent. Everyone looked really nervous, and were exchanging, "WTF do we do?" glances. Turned out it was nothing, and the guy got off the bus without incident (or bothering anyone). But the fact that people know to look for this -- and get nervous at the slighest thing out of the ordinary -- is very stressful.

Take away the ghetto-type violence and domestic violence, your chance of being a murder victim in the US is very tiny.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    9/11 proved that terrorists aren't looking to just kill tens or hundreds of people, but are always looking for ways to kill thousands, tens of thousands, or more. So yes, it's a real issue. You shouldn't wait for a catastrophe before you take terrorism seriously.

There's also the psychological aspect.

I have this debate often with Israelis I know.

Israeli: Americans make such a big deal about the terrorism in Israel, but you are much more likely to be killed in a murder in the US than you are terrorism in Israel.

Me: Yes, but you can dramatically lower the chance you are a victim of a murder in the US by staying out of high-crime areas and staying away from dangerous situations. With terrorist attacks, there's nothing you can do to avoid it besides stay home.

Israeli: Still, the number of people who die in terrorist attacks in Israel is very small compared to our population.

Me: True, but it sucks to have to fear it and look over your shoulder everywhere you go. You walk around with the feeling that you're never safe, and you have to get nervous around anyone (especially Arab) acting suspiciously. We don't have that situation in the US.

One of my friends traveled to Israel recently and rode a bus there. A suspicious-looking Arab guy got on the bus, in a large jacket, and sat down. Everyone went silent. Everyone looked really nervous, and were exchanging, "WTF do we do?" glances. Turned out it was nothing, and the guy got off the bus without incident (or bothering anyone). But the fact that people know to look for this -- and get nervous at the slighest thing out of the ordinary -- is very stressful.

Take away the ghetto-type violence and domestic violence, your chance of being a murder victim in the US is very tiny.
    you have such a refined writing style

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

"The September 11 attacks themselves resulted in approximately $40 billion in insurance losses, making it one of the largest insured events ever."

"The September 11 attacks also led directly to the U.S. war in Afghanistan, as well as additional homeland security spending. The attacks were also cited as a
    rationale for the Iraq war, although this rationale was discredited by intelligence organizations globally. The cost of the two wars so far has surpassed $5 trillion"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economi...ber_11_attacks

This is only a response to your thread title, whether you agree with it or not.

Terrorism has affected the psyche of everyone who witnessed the events noted above. It has changed the way you live, the way you are governed and monies spent on avoiding similar attacks. Unlike the numerous domestic murders or deaths annually in your country, which can be blamed on many things, you're facing the deterioration of a decent social structure.

The "American way", which led to great prosperity for some time is over. Your country spends far too much on trying to police the world while ignoring the internal rot. Terrorism has shown it can essentially cripple that might with far fewer resources.

Terrorism is the most effective method of fighting back against a military giant especially when it is the only option for
    those who are involved.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

And all those murders in the u.s look like the immigrated from Nigeria

Comments

Sanlmar:

Load Metric
    The bullshit is mostly about how we react as a country to terrorism, and what we spend to fight it. Even the "libertarian" in the Republican field wants to jack up defense spending. http://time.com/3759378/rand-paul-defense-spending/

This is to pretty much fight ISIS, which is just a bunch of jackasses riding around in pick ups with small arms. Their weapons are almost entirely stolen from our "allies".

Even our conspiracy nuts focus on dinosaurs and the moon landing, while the deal our politicians have with defense contractors to just keep the war going is ignored. There hasn't been a major party candidate in a long ass time interested in slowing down the machine.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    The fact that no one has yet to blow up a sporting event is mind boggling to me. I mean the security at these places is LOL. You cant tell me this couldnt be accomplished relatively easily. And there are often 50,000-100,000 people in these things. Sure you arent going to get them all, but a sporting event seems to me to be the place where it is most likely to obtain the highest carnage.

Even in Kansas City this shit scares me every time I go to a game, which is fairly often. I know the target would more likely be a NY or LA, but that might mean KC would be an easier target. What the fuck would the NFL do if a stadium blew up and 20,000 people died? How could you ever have a game ever again?
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Bronze
    Load Metric
    This is to pretty much fight ISIS, which is just a bunch of jackasses riding around in pick ups with small arms. Their weapons are almost entirely stolen from our "allies".
    Fuck you are stupid. This place was much more intelligent before your dumb ass showed us last year. You have single handedly dragged the PFA IQ quota down, and down dramatically.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Fuck you are stupid. This place was much more intelligent before your dumb ass showed us last year. You have single handedly dragged the PFA IQ quota down, and down dramatically.
    Drunk already, huh? Aren't you the guy that has to change his name every season because he can't remember his password, or his screen name? Getting called stupid by one of the biggest retards on the internet is not really an insult. Maybe you should go back to safely trolling a guy that can't post. That might be a debate where you have a chance.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post

Drunk already, huh? Aren't you the guy that has to change his name every season because he can't remember his password, or his screen name? Getting called stupid by one of the biggest retards on the internet is not really an insult. Maybe you should go back to safely trolling a guy that can't post. That might be a debate where you have a chance.
    LOL @ trolling. You have been scaling my posts since you showed up. Been around these parts since 2008, and have pushed in self indulged pricks like you ever since.

You are actually worse than Dirty B, and my guess is we will not see much of him anymore now that his long standing buddy ran off to some third world shithole as a fugitive.

STFU

Thread Information