Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cable/TV Volume Problem

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Cable/TV Volume Problem

Ok so I am watching TV before bed couple of mornings ago and all of sudden the Volume went silent. Can't remember if I was flipping through the channels and noticed or if it just went silent.

I thought nothing of it until the next day when I start flipping through some channels and like 3 or 4 will have volume and then like 20 in a row won't.

Called the cable company, they reset the box but this didn't help.

I unplugged all the cables and made sure they were tight and still the same problem.

The only way for me to get volumes on certain channels is to turn the TV OFF and turn the TV back ON or Turn the cable box OFF and back ON. Either of these methods will give me volume back for these channels that have no volume but it kind of sucks to have to do this regularly.

I took this a step further today and tried the cable box on another TV and all of the channels worked and had volume.

I tried an hd converter box on the TV that was having problems and all of the channels sounded fine.

Anyone have any idea why the fuck this one box won't give sound on some channels? Could it be the TV?

I also reset my TV to factory settings in case I clicked some random button on accident that would fuck this up but that didn't help.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    Ok so I am watching TV before bed couple of mornings ago and all of sudden the Volume went silent. Can't remember if I was flipping through the channels and noticed or if it just went silent.

I thought nothing of it until the next day when I start flipping through some channels and like 3 or 4 will have volume and then like 20 in a row won't.

I unplugged all the cables and made sure they were tight and still the same problem.

The only way for me to get volumes on certain channels is to turn the TV OFF and turn the TV back ON or Turn the cable box OFF and back ON. Either of these methods will give me volume back for these channels that have no volume but it kind of sucks to have to do this regularly.

I took this a step further today and tried the cable box on another TV and all of the channels worked and had volume.

I tried an hd converter box on the TV that was having problems and all of the channels sounded fine.

Anyone have any idea why the fuck this one box won't give sound on some channels? Could it be the TV?

I also reset my TV to factory settings in case I clicked some random button on accident that would fuck this up but that didn't help.
    Plug HDMI cable into a different input?

Probably a tv issue.

Load Metric
    china is god/thread

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83 View Post

Plug HDMI cable into a different input?

Probably a tv issue.
    tried every HDMI (4 of them) and did not work

if it is a TV issue though then why is the other box I put in there working fine? i'd use that one but has no on demand etc....

TV is a VIZIO and had problems when I had Verizon years ago. They said some Vizios could not connect thru HDMI to their system for some reason and they had to use like 6 sound cables.

My plan is to get a new box from comcast and if that doesnt work I will try the sound cables but I am open to suggestions
    Last edited by chinamaniac; 03-26-2015 at 04:37 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I keep reading to turn sap off, any idea how I find this on this remote? Don't think I pressed it but worth a shot

http://cdn.vizio.com/documents/downl...ser_Manual.pdf

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Get a new HDMI cable. Don't spring for an expensive one, but don't get the cheapest either. It's true that they all work the same way, but the physical quality of one can be better than another. It's possible it worked on one box, but not the other just because the other box could accommodate the physical properties of that cable than the box you are trying to use it on.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FR1GHT View Post
    Get a new HDMI cable. Don't spring for an expensive one, but don't get the cheapest either. It's true that they all work the same way, but the physical quality of one can be better than another. It's possible it worked on one box, but not the other just because the other box could accommodate the physical properties of that cable than the box you are trying to use it on.
    Don't think this is the issue. I swapped in a different HDMI cable and I am getting the same result

Load Metric
    Sounds like it was working for a long time before this week. The chances of a wire failing like that have to be a million to one. It's TV related.

Cant say what exactly, but I bet its the TV.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    Sounds like it was working for a long time before this week. The chances of a wire failing like that have to be a million to one. It's TV related.

HDMI handshaking/sync issue.

How old is your TV?
    How old is your box. Curious Comcast or Verizon.

As an aside, my sister in law called me in to help with her entertainment setup. Friggin 10 year old cable company boxes. They don't call you up and suggest upgrades, of course. Reminded me of retirees who still lease phones from phone company

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Only thing i can think of that may have happened was the other day when clicking over to HDMI 1 (apple TV) from HdmI 2 (cable) I may have hit a tv/av/component button but I dont think that would affect anything as long as I go back to HDMI2 for cable it should work. Unless I accidentally clicked something on the TV remote while doing this but I dont see anything on the tv remote that would screw anything up. It is a very simple remote

Bronze
    Load Metric

I agree, but that's a cheap, quick and easy possible solution. I brought it up, because my sound bar stopped working one day and I thought I was completely fucked. I thought either the sound bar went out or the output on my TV did. I messed with it for an hour with no success. I even went as far as testing that "bad" HDMI on other devices and it worked. I finally unhooked another device and tried that HDMI cable on the sound bar and it worked. I was stumped, because it didn't make any sense. I trashed the HDMI cable I couldn't get to work on the sound bar and bought a new one.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

How old is your TV?

As an aside, my sister in law called me in to help with her entertainment setup. Friggin 10 year old cable company boxes. They don't call you up and suggest upgrades, of course. Reminded me of retirees who still lease phones from phone company
    prob bought the TV in the fall of 2009, box is comcast and is about 4.5 years old I think but is not their newest box and may not have been new when they brought it here

Load Metric

How old is your TV?

prob bought the TV in the fall of 2009, box is comcast and is about 4.5 years old I think but is not their newest box and may not have been new when they brought it here
    Do you have a multiple room setup?

Are you dealing with the non DVR box. Is the box "really small" almost cigarette size or about a foot x 6"

Feels like the TV, so far. But let's see. TV chipset struggling to handshake with box. You could always try the 3-wire alternative output. I actually dunno if that is high definition out.

Comcast absolutely blows. The nightly downloads at 2-3am which I now YOU see happen lol. System is all software and flaky as hell. This is just a rant. Your problem is hardware.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 03-26-2015 at 05:48 PM.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Leave your boxes how you want them and swap a different HDMI cable in place of the one you are having trouble with and see if you still have those problems.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Leave your boxes how you want them and swap a different HDMI cable in place of the one you are having trouble with and see if you still have those problems.
    tried that and it didn't work but I will swap another as I have a few on hand

Load Metric
    Yes, of course Swap cables. My bad.

Is cable seated snugly in TV input. Kinda obv.

HDMI sync issues are somewhat usual but definitely swap cables.

Load Metric
    Turn it off and then turn back on in 10 seconds

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Are you dealing with the non DVR box. Is the box "really small" almost cigarette size or about a foot x 6"

Feels like the TV, so far. But let's see. TV chipset struggling to handshake with box. You could always try the 3-wire alternative output. I actually dunno if that is high definition out.

Comcast absolutely blows. The nightly downloads at 2-3am which I now YOU see happen lol. System is all software and flaky as hell. This is just a rant. Your problem is hardware.
    I don't have a DVR box , the box is prob a foot by 6 I would guess

Bronze
    Load Metric
    tried that and it didn't work but I will swap another as I have a few on hand
    Well if that didn't work the first time, then it's unlikely to solve the issue. It was unlikely to be the issue in the first place as Daly pointed out. It's highly unlikely to be the issue with more than one cable. It sounds like it was just an abnormality that I experienced that could have possibly applied to this situation, but does not.

Load Metric

I don't have a DVR box , the box is prob a foot by 6 I would guess
    You swapped cables? Gotta ask

Thread Information