Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Painkiller Addiction

Load Metric

Painkiller Addiction

Explained in another thread that recently I was prescribed a drug called "Tramadol" during a 3 week 'non serious' hospital stay.... On discharge I no longer needed the pain relief so obviously the medication stopped.. Had my last pill Friday gone.

But ever since i've felt pretty fucking shit.. feel sick, no sleep etc..... I'm wise enough to know what the symptoms are and realize what my only play is, which is to just ride it out..

And tbh I've had worse comedowns after smashing the beak and ecstasy every weekend during my late teens and early 20's.

But this shit after just 3 fucking weeks??

Imagine what the people who have been hooked on them for years go through?... Like not deadbeat losers with not much else to get up for of a morning... but hardworking people with families that can't get through their day without a dose of prescribed drugs that they started taking for a bad back or w/e many moons ago..

These fuckers likely needed the pain relief for a week or two, but fast forward 5 years or more, long after the pain has gone.. they're still hooked on these drugs..

And who is doing anything about this? who is trying to get the many millions (imo) of upstanding members of the public away from these highly addictive drugs??

I'll tell you who..... fucking nobody.

Because the problem is so vast, so huge.. so controversial. And most importantly, so profitable for these multi billion pound companies.. that anybody in any reasonable sort of power that opens this particular can of worms will start a shitstorm that's way beyond their control..

I've only done a tiny, tiny bit of research into the problem.. And it breaks my heart reading what these good family people are going through..

I'm only rambling on like this coz I can't get my head down for longer than 20 mins at a time since Saturday... And it's only my body that is reacting badly to this, my mind & soul is fine really... But much longer on those devil drugs and I'm not sure I could turn my back on them the way I've done thus far.

Few small snippets from this website.

There's like thousands of people all pretty much saying the same thing... And i'll take a guess that by law of averages alone there are regular posters/lurkers on PFA that have been down, or are on a similar dark road as the people in that link...

http://www.patient.co.uk/forums/disc...ramadol-175502

I have become such a recluse. I just sit in my room. During the day I try and stay awake to do stuff but I just get bored or lonely...I sleep because my dreams are better than my reality. My husband knows what is going on and said he would do whatever it takes but I really don't think he cares to be a part of it....He works all the time and the rest of the time he plans basketball with our kids and the team he runs. We discussed weening but he never takes them and follows threw and I have never made him because I feel to embarrassed and he has to much to worry about already

I had been on Tramadol for 9 years taking 2 50 mg in the morning and 2 at night and sometimes on a bad day 1 or 2 in the afternoon. I was given them for a bad neck and shoulder issue. It did the trick and I will admit I loved them. I had wondered over the last year how I was going to stop these and became concerned. I did not want to tell my family I was concerned becasue I had told them what was told to be they are not addictive. Well arond Sept 25th I called to refil my prescription and was told my Dr. just left for a 2 week vacation. I tried to get the Dr. on call to refill it but it did not happen.So that was the beginnning of my withdraw period.It was not pretty.I do work and for 2 weeks or so I could not sleep more tha 2 to 3 hours a night I had horrible RLS, I ached everywhere and had NO patience for any of my family. I could not eat I felt sicker than a dog. I could not watch TV or even read as I wanted to throw the book. So it was HELL !!! I have never been on any other drugs and thought nothing of it until I was out ! It is now November 7th and I feel so much better. I am alert, I sleep better, my smell and taste are so sharp which I thought was funny. During the several weeks of Hell I took 3 to 4 Ibuprofin at a time several times a day. I took over the counter sleep aides did not work. I had a friend come over and give me Ambien and they did not put me to sleep.the next day I took Benedry and then a few hours later took another and finally got a little more sleep. It is a progression of feeling better. I loved taking the Tramadol at night. It relaxed me and made my aches go away and I slept good. So I do miss that time however, that is the only thing I miss. I will never go back. so if you can with stand the first few week it does get much better. I just went to work and told everyone I was sick and not to come near me. I kow there are different ways but this worked for me. I pray everyone else finds their way as this is not good stuff !

Comments

big dick: smashing the beak and ecstasy.. my god I laughed so hard

smithbk: brave thread
    http://pnimg.net/w/articles-attachments/1/4c2/74d75c36d2.jpg

Load Metric
    consider killing yourself.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post
    consider killing yourself.

Guessing it all started with the new Hot Yoga classes..

Silly cunt

Load Metric
    nyquil and some bourbon can help take the edge off while you are in withdrawal

Load Metric
    Could make a start on the latter in the form of whiskey, but the former have to wait until shops reopen in the morning..

Not like I'm suffering super horribly or anything. Just can't shake it and affecting my sleep rather badly.

Thanks

Load Metric
    hey druggie

there's shit you can take that will help you sleep. preferably permanently

try zzzquil, ambiem, advil/tyl pm or cyanide.

fondly

Comments

Lord of the Fraud: just a big softie really

Load Metric
    My wife and I both had medical procedures last year. She was prescribed percs I was prescribed Vikes post op "for the pain". Neither one of us took them for a few days thankfully. On a lark I googled both drugs and found out that the USA is the only country in the world that actualy prescribes this shit to people. The rest of the world realizes how addictive these meds are.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Eat about 200mg of edibles and you will think "tramadol" is the name of the stuffed animal dragon sitting on one of the kids beds. Works every time.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    My wife and I both had medical procedures last year. She was prescribed percs I was prescribed Vikes post op "for the pain". Neither one of us took them for a few days thankfully. On a lark I googled both drugs and found out that the USA is the only country in the world that actualy prescribes this shit to people. The rest of the world realizes how addictive these meds are.

It is true. If one looks to see how many countries actually allow Adderall it is surprising. Yet so many people in the USA take it.
    :freelewfather

Load Metric
    Here is Steve Wynn talking about his own experience. It is a great example of how fucked up it all is and how doctors are basically killing their patients. If Steve Wynn's own doctor isnt on the ball the average joe doesn't stand a chance.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010...iva-las-vegan/

“I was addicted, but I didn’t know I was addicted because I didn’t feel high,” Wynn says. “So when Eddie Nathan, who is a local doctor, who I grew up with, took out my stitches, that night at 7 o’clock I went upstairs in the bedroom and said, ‘Great!’ and ripped the patch off and threw it in the toilet.

“I shouldn’t have done that.”

No, it was a bad idea, as Wynn had acted without consulting a physician. In an hour, he had buckled under the effects of severe chemical withdrawal.

“I was in hell,” he says. “It’s impossible to describe the feeling, but when you take a heroin junkie, and it’s either cold turkey or the alternative, you understand why they commit crimes.”

To combat his agonizing sweats and trembling, Wynn embarked on a routine of climbing into the shower, then returning to bed.

“You know that movie, Man With the Golden Arm? That’s what it was like,” Wynn says, referring to the 1955 film featuring Frank Sinatra’s famous heroin withdrawal scene. “The only way I could survive was to tell Andrea she should not stay with me, to go downstairs to the other bedroom and not touch me—but she wouldn’t do it. But I would get up every 45 minutes and go in and stand for 15 minutes under the hot shower, and that calmed me down and stopped the crazed, tumultuous feeling I had inside. Then I would be able to go sit in the bed or lay upright for 45 minutes, and then it would come back again.”

Wynn finally contacted a pain doctor, and told him he still had a Fentanyl patch in his possession. The doctor told him to cut the patch in half and put it on his shoulder, explaining with great urgency, “What you’re experiencing has just started. In the next 30 hours, this is going to get real serious.”

Wynn laughs.

“Real serious? Are you kidding me? I’m ready to kill myself!”

It took Wynn three weeks and a physician’s assistance to get off the pain medication, and he is still detectably affected by the experience.

“I said to my surgeon, ‘If I ever have another operation, I don’t care what technique you use, I am never, ever going to take a pain pill again as long as I live.’”
    :freelewfather

Load Metric
    Unfortunately have two people close that are in this brutal boat.

Both started off prescribed pain killers for back pain and now both are on disability living shitty lives.

The doctors keep prescribing the pills and do nothing about their symptoms anymore. And I find the worst part is how they affect you mentally.

Load Metric
    opiates are great drugs if absolutely necessary. Every civilized country has them for worst case scenarios, even if they have different names. Hospice would be screaming and passing out on repeat for weeks without morphine. Very few people would die at home surrounded by family.

Three days, in my experience, is key for both. Never take them for 3 days straight unless you're in palliative care/hospice and dying anyway.

You can take any opiate for 2 days when in real pain.(without addiction, you can OD if you're an idiot) Third day, knock yourself out with something else like a muscle relaxer and you'll be fine. Once you pass that third day, it's game on and getting dope sick is on the table. You're better off not taking them at all if you can avoid it, but sometimes its home or the hospital, and I'd rather be at home and find a way to knock myself out. Too easy to keep hitting that pain pump in hospital with them waking you up all the time and days running together. At home you can get a blowjob and swill Benadryl and eventually you'll go out.

Load Metric
    The pharmaceutical companies created a nation/world of drug addicts on purpose, the doctors are the drug dealers.

Load Metric
    I had some tooth pain as a result of needing a root canal. I was prescribed Vicodin and ran out. My grandmother had a bottle of tramadol. I took them for two days and it put me in huge depression. I still have 3/4 of the pills and am won't touch them now. The funny thing is doctors prescribe them to addicts claiming they are not addictive.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Unfortunately have two people close that are in this brutal boat.

Both started off prescribed pain killers for back pain and now both are on disability living shitty lives.

The doctors keep prescribing the pills and do nothing about their symptoms anymore. And I find the worst part is how they affect you mentally.
    I've been on this train for the last year. Back increasingly jacked up in pain. Went chiro, x-Rays, MRI, PT, no answer, finally they redid MRI and checked cervical spine and it was all fucked up. Really hard to diagnose because pain is in thoracic spine being referred down from neck. See neurosurgeon to schedule surgery in mid-April. I went the 2 days on route all year when pain is really bad and have avoided getting hooked. I've been hooked badly in past and learned the hard way.

If you have a construction job or something you might as well eat a bullet. I can work my life and schedule around a day of pain in bed.

The medical system will wear you down and most quit looking for a solution once they get medicated. That's the main problem. They make you jump through 50 hoops before getting an answer. You need to stay on their ass to get to the root of the problem, particularly with back issues where half the people they see are making it up for pills/workmen's comp

Also, in US, I don't know that a 3 week non-serious hospital stay exists. Open heart surgery is average of 5 day stay. A lot of people get hooked because they send you out the door with a month's prescription rather than keep you an extra couple days. You pop pills for 30 straight days, most are going to have some real issues. The average surgeon or family doctor doesn't educate patients enough about exactly what you're getting into.

Still, I'd much rather have them available than not.

Load Metric
    My buddy used to have a vyvanse script and that shit was soo much more addictive than Vicodin. If you get addicted long-term to any of these painkillers you're a mental midget imo

Platinum
    Load Metric
    when I was in the hospital the nurse would come around with hydrocodone and ask me how many I wanted, I always said "one"...they always said, "you can have two if you want"...

I said no thanks, I bet they pocketed that extra vs going through the hassle of signing back into the computerized pharmacy cart.

Once I turned down the meds and started hurting a couple hours later, called the nurse asking for a pill....she said I already had some a couple hours ago...ha...she probably took them.

I took as few as I could get away with when I got home, since my sister was a heroin addict I was pretty scared of getting hooked.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post
    when I was in the hospital the nurse would come around with hydrocodone and ask me how many I wanted, I always said "one"...they always said, "you can have two if you want"...

I said no thanks, I bet they pocketed that extra vs going through the hassle of signing back into the computerized pharmacy cart.

Once I turned down the meds and started hurting a couple hours later, called the nurse asking for a pill....she said I already had some a couple hours ago...ha...she probably took them.

I took as few as I could get away with when I got home, since my sister was a heroin addict I was pretty scared of getting hooked.

Hydrocodone is Tylenol 3, chief. I think you are ok with 2.

Load Metric
    Interesting stories and posts

See, i bet literally every adult in North America and Western Europe have somebody close to them that have fallen into the addictive painkiller trap..

Laughable to think what the government has us panicking over sometimes while they turn a blind eye to the mass poison of Joe Public...

"sprained my ankle at work today doc"

"congrats, that means you get to become a miserable drug addict for the next 10 years"

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ToasterOven View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post

Hydrocodone is Tylenol 3, chief. I think you are ok with 2.
    Now you tell me!

Comments

ToasterOven: lol

Thread Information