Thread: Is my new dentist a quack?

Load Metric

Is my new dentist a quack?

So about a month ago I noticed a few teeth on right side of mouth hurting. Ended up booking an emergency visit to get it checked out with my gf's dentist (I've always just used my old dentist who I go see when I visit family). Overall the services provided were excellent although slightly pricey. In Canada dentists are not covered under healthcare generally, insurance will cover most of price though. Turned out I lost a filling and they replaced it on the spot.

So just now I was going through some papers on my desk and notice this handout they gave to me. They didn't really explain it at time and I was on my way back to work so thought nothing of it. The handout I have is slightly different but pretty much what is below.

Name:  toothchartrelates-to-organs.jpeg
Views: 345
Size:  282.1 KB

It's obviously total bullshit.

But overall the dental experience was amazing. The dentist has great reviews and is known not to push unneeded procedures. I've also come to see in the past that many medical practitioners have adopted some pseudoscientific beliefs. I also know that the general public eats this shit up so its possible the dentist doesn;t really even use the info for her treatment decisions. She certainly never gave any impression she subscribed to any of this stuff.

What is my play?

And no she is not hot...

Load Metric
    Looks like one of those crazy ass astrology charts.

Also, the nose and the rectum are too close together for comfort.

Comments

ToasterOven: not bad
    Save a Cow - Eat a Vegetarian, they're grass-fed.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Bet check I think you should just euthanize yourself for the well being of the state and have consideration for the younger members of the work force..oh, wait a minute..PROGRESSIVES only apply rules to OTHERS! it doesn't count for them only those with ideological impurities..

Load Metric
    99% of dentists are cons and frauds.

Comments

also yikes: org has a great page on this Is it 1 am in Iceland

Load Metric
    They really should have included penis, because I can't think of anything worse than scraping lateral incisors on penis.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Boy you had better hope you don't lose your top-left-front teeth, or your rectum is going to be in a world of hurt.

Load Metric
    Lats visit to the dentist, got my teeth cleaned. Dental assistant, I think, did the work.

Mid 20's, thin, cute. I thought alright.

Then she started. Terrible breath. I couldn't move my nose or hold my breath to avoid it. She talked the whole time too. No where to go. It seemed like 5 hours. Awful experience.

Never going back to this place.

Load Metric
    Oh there's NO doubt Dentists are common insurance scammers.

I actually dealt with this in a situation where one dentists (private) had every incentive to lie about me needing a simple operation (wisdom teeth being pulled) when i was like 19 or 20. And another dentist (military) say that was absolutely not true.

This private Dentist was an arrogant, annoying know it all type tbh, who swore I needed my wisdom teeth taken out, i saw what it did to my friends and told him, listen man they never hurt me ever in my life why would you expect me to go through that 5 days of pain and agony to rip them out when they are fine to me. He swore I needed them out. Fast forward 5 years and I was in the Army, in the military you get regular dental check ups to determine mainly you're deployability. They make you pass a check list of appointments, Drs etc to make sure you don't have any issues that would lead to your combat effectiveness. In the unit I was in at the time 10th Mountain we were on 72 hour deployability window so they take that SERIOUSLY.

So I go for my Dental checkup this is now prob 5 or 6 years after this knucklehead local dentist I saw as a kid, and hadn't seen him since but remembered what he had told me then, and I was thinking oh shit now I am gonna have this military dentist tell me i need to get these teeth ripped out, and have to get it done here. I was a little nervous about that can't lie, so the x-rays come back i get a filling and the Dentist being completely honest with me and after I explained this to him about the private dentist I had seen a while back, he explained its very common for private dentists to try and angle people into these wisdom teeth surgeries because its so simple to do and they can bill insurance companies thousands and thousands of dollars for surgeries that are routine and literally only take 30 mins. So then I though huh, do that maybe 15+ or so times a year and you probably added at least 100k to your bottom line. To this day that really bothers me and I am one who would always question a dentists integrity in what they are recommending when it comes to surgeries like simple sidow teeth operations, maybe even a second opinion if possible before going through with them ripping my teeth out to line their own pockets.

The moral of the story is you should be questioning Dentists. When in the military where the Dentists ARE NOT obv private and have no incentive to lie I was told I actually don't have concave wisdom teeth and don't need them out if I do not want. When I was young, dumb, and had dental insurance I had this dentist telling me I needed my wisdom teeth out.

It was def a scam by the private dentist to line his pockets performing the simple surgery he could have billed my insurance company for. Military dentists have zero incentive to lie obviously and only care about your deployability and well-being and they told me I absolutely did not need that surgery. To this day I still never had them out and never had any issues in fact they pretty much came in perfect and straight. Really bothers me so when I read this thread I wanted to share that story, so you parents out there dont just go run and get your kids wisdom teeth pulled out and put them through all of that agony, when in reality the only thing it may be helping is your dentists bank account!

Dentists are not Medical Doctors please do not mistake them for one either.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    ....he explained its very common for private dentists to try and angle people into these wisdom teeth surgeries because its so simple to do and they can bill insurance companies thousands and thousands of dollars for surgeries that are routine and literally only take 30 mins.
    Had to have a wisdom tooth pulled(it was really hurting) when I was around 21 so about 1980.

Went to closest dentist, small town, maybe had 3K population. He had a terrible reputation but I had to go. He pulled the tooth, did good job.

Didn't have any insurance. Think he charged me $20. Got a script of Mepergans to boot. Had to go back a week or two later for lingering pain. He re packed it or something like that. Think he charged me $5 or $10 for this trip.

Thread Information