Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tilting things that websites do which drive you crazy

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Tilting things that websites do which drive you crazy

I'll start:

- Auto-playing a video when you open it

- Auto-playing a video after you've had it open and sitting quietly in the background for 2 hours (CNN has been doing this a lot recently)

- Forcing you to answer a lame survey question before showing you 90% of the content

- Forums which make you register before you can read them

- Captchas which are nearly impossible to read for humans

- Top 20 lists which force you to click through to the next page for each item

- Redundant links where you have to keep clicking through several pages to do the same thing. (American Airlines is a good example, where you have to click "Book Awards" and then scroll down on the next page to find the link for "Book Award Travel" to redeem your miles.)

- Videos with commercials which are impossible to pause or mute unless you use your computer's volume control

Load Metric
    everyone fuck off, i got this:

when they have a 1" top banner frame so when you space-bar down a page, the top 3 lines of text in the article get cut off LOOKING AT YOU VICE.COM

Comments

Sloppy Joe: ^ T-H-I-S

Crowe Diddly: nut worst development in website websiting

wrenchjockey: motherfuck if I didn't know you could 'space bar down a page'
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I'll start:

- Auto-playing a video after you've had it open and sitting quietly in the background for 2 hours (CNN has been doing this a lot recently)

- Forcing you to answer a lame survey question before showing you 90% of the content

- Redundant links where you have to keep clicking through several pages to do the same thing. (American Airlines is a good example, where you have to click "Book Awards" and then scroll down on the next page to find the link for "Book Award Travel" to redeem your miles.)

- Videos with commercials which are impossible to pause or mute unless you use your computer's volume control
    This one drives me nuts. Some captchas are absolutely ridiculous. It's bad enough just hitting the correct key and then they throw some unreadable text at you.

Load Metric
    video popunders.

Load Metric
    Ban me

Comments

4Dragons: free jsearls

abrown83: Lulz might be your best post ever

BCR: Well-played.
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    I'll start:

CNN is bad, but the second tier newspapers are the worst. Try opening the Chicago Sun Times for Example, yikes audio, multiple adds, they trick you when trying to close a new screen it clicks through to serve another add, etc. ESPN has a little "turn off video" button that works for a while so you don't get served the videos BTW.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    I'll start:

This one drives me nuts. Some captchas are absolutely ridiculous. It's bad enough just hitting the correct key and then they throw some unreadable text at you.

Makes me question if my eyes are going.

The CNN one has got me also. It's over, I'm waiting in line at grocery store, and all of a sudden it starts playing in my pocket.

ESPN radio app sucks also. You click on a podcast, and when it's over, it just continues with another podcast. This one annoys me because I listen to pods when going to sleep, but the ESPN radio app is impervious to IPhone timer. It won't shut off and it wakes you up a few hours later with some week old podcast.

Also:

Basically any link that makes me think I'm clicking on an article that's really a video. If it auto-plays it's worse, because you're often somewhere public and annoy everyone. Any entertainment site does this. It will entice you with a title that piques your interest, like "the real life Saul Goodman who inspired the character" and you click and it autoplays some welfare version of an Etv-type website playing a 5 minute video that starts off talking about Bieber's new ab workout, and your story starts at the 4:50 mark, and everyone in the waiting room of an oil change place thinks you're a giant fag watching Bieber ab routines.
    Last edited by BCR; 03-18-2015 at 07:13 AM.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    If the Golf Channel tweets out a link to a story on their website, instead of going to the story it goes to home page(which never has said story on it). If you go back and do it a 2nd time, it goes to the actual article. So pisses me the fuck off.

Load Metric
    sonatine nailed mine. I vote si.com as worse than vice, if only because they put an [X] on the right side of the bar that blocks the text, which would make you think clicking it would make the bar go away so you could see what you actually want to see. But NO. Click on the [X], and it closes the article you are reading, not the bar that's in the way, and you end up back on the SI home page.

Name:  close.JPG
Views: 625
Size:  248.6 KB

Comments

sonatine: making that leap of faith from terrible to sadistic

Load Metric
    Giant menus that on hover, cover the whole page.

Load Metric
    Sites that bitch and moan about my ad blocker.

Upgrades with a bunch of added crap I don't need. (Covers.com is the latest)
    Tradition is a set of solutions for which we have forgotten the problems.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    sonatine nailed mine. I vote si.com as worse than vice, if only because they put an [X] on the right side of the bar that blocks the text, which would make you think clicking it would make the bar go away so you could see what you actually want to see. But NO. Click on the [X], and it closes the article you are reading, not the bar that's in the way, and you end up back on the SI home page.

This happens when you have developers who see something and then don't really understand how to implement it.

Easy fix.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post
    Giant menus that on hover, cover the whole page.
    Have done a bunch of these recently. Really popular right now people like them because they provide consistent experience across all devices.

I am pretty ehhhhhh about them.

Load Metric
    check boxes or radio buttons that are too small...

worst is when deleting several emails at once...after checking a few boxes, if i don't get the cursor in the next box just right and all the previously check boxes are unchecked automatically...
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Things I hate:

a) prompts to shut off my ad blocker. No, I won't do that, fuck you....I'll just find the javascript line myself via greasemonkey and delete your annoying prompt, tyvm

b) auto loading video. So tilting when I am reading an article and suddenly some loud ass advert for home products or tampons or whatever else is on.

c) pop up ads where you can't just hit "x" to get out of the window, but if you do ANOTHER prompt comes up where you are asked, "do you really want to leave this page?". Yes motherfucker I do, be gone you ad demon.

Comments

SysOp: knows his shit rep
    http://www.miraclecovers.com

"Donk down, that’s what you say to someone after they have lost 28K straight?" - Phil Hellmuth, online

Load Metric
    Anything yahoo has done for the last 10 years.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    i haven't been to yahoo in about ten years.

Load Metric
    Autoloading stuff on mobile sites/apps so it eats your data even if you didn't want to watch the video/look at the photos in the first place

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post

This happens when you have developers who see something and then don't really understand how to implement it.

Easy fix.
    many developers are working against unrealistic time frames to get shit done. or some improvise when they don't know how to do shit the correct way.

i agree w/ all that druff wrote. and these auto play vids are pretty new invading your privacy. it wasn;t long ago that you had the choice to listen/play them.

seems like in the past few years shotty journalism and crazy monetization of major websites have taken over.
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SysOp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    i haven't been to yahoo in about ten years.

what about Lycos?
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Thread Information