Thread: If Chrome is freezing your Windows 7...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

If Chrome is freezing your Windows 7...

I had a problem with Chrome flipping out on certain web pages and totally freezing my Windows 7.

The freeze would happen for like 5-15 seconds, and I was going crazy trying to solve it.

Finally I beat it, so I figured I might as well share it with people here:

If you see your Chrome do this (freeze the whole computer), look at the bottom of the browser. If you see "Waiting for Cache...", then you have this exact bug.

There is a relatively easy fix to stop the problem.

It involves a problem with the "User Data" folder for Chrome.

You just need to go to this directory:

C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome

Take the folder called "User Data" and copy it anywhere else on your hard drive. Like, for example, make a directory called "Chrome Data" under the main C: drive, and just copy the "User Data" folder to that folder. Don't copy just the contents of the folder. Actually copy the whole folder called "User Data" to where it now resides in the new folder you just created.

Now delete the "User Data" folder in the original location.

Finally, open up a console window (type "cmd" at the run prompt) and type the following:

mklink /J "[old location of UserData]" "[new location of UserData]"

Let's say your User Data folder was located at C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome and you moved it to C:\googlecache

You would type:

mklink /J "C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Use r Data" "C:\googlecache\User Data"

(ignore the space between Use and r, I don't know why the forum is doing that)

Don't bother with any of this if your Chrome isn't regularly freezing your computer. If you need help, just post here or PM me.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Load Metric
    I have a love/hate relationship with chrome. It's the fastest browser out of the box but requires constant upkeep otherwise it bogs the system down. I run CC literally twice a day on days I am on the net a lot and it never fails to amaze me to see 200+mb's of crap get cleared out after minimal web browsing with chrome. I can't imagine how buggy it is for people that don't maintain their system with regular cleanings and registry upkeep etc.

Anyway good info, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine
    i was pretty butt-hurt when mike said he didnt want to fuck with my home game because i was trannie-bombing threads, but ive definitely come to appreciate mike as a poster and a person and feel genuinely that the last thing on earth he deserves is a dime-store bipolar fruitcake like marty threatening him.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    I get system can't find the path or not recognized internal or external command.
    Now what brother? Damned computer is 2 months old and I updated Java or Flash or
    some crap like that and now it's dead in the water.
    I even did a clean install and it's doin the same crap. What up wit dis?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I had a problem with Chrome flipping out on certain web pages and totally freezing my Windows 7.

The freeze would happen for like 5-15 seconds, and I was going crazy trying to solve it.

Finally I beat it, so I figured I might as well share it with people here:

If you see your Chrome do this (freeze the whole computer), look at the bottom of the browser. If you see "Waiting for Cache...", then you have this exact bug.

There is a relatively easy fix to stop the problem.

It involves a problem with the "User Data" folder for Chrome.

You just need to go to this directory:

C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome

Take the folder called "User Data" and copy it anywhere else on your hard drive. Like, for example, make a directory called "Chrome Data" under the main C: drive, and just copy the "User Data" folder to that folder. Don't copy just the contents of the folder. Actually copy the whole folder called "User Data" to where it now resides in the new folder you just created.

Now delete the "User Data" folder in the original location.

Finally, open up a console window (type "cmd" at the run prompt) and type the following:

mklink /J "[old location of UserData]" "[new location of UserData]"

Let's say your User Data folder was located at C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome and you moved it to C:\googlecache

You would type:

mklink /J "C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Use r Data" "C:\googlecache\User Data"

(ignore the space between Use and r, I don't know why the forum is doing that)

Don't bother with any of this if your Chrome isn't regularly freezing your computer. If you need help, just post here or PM me.

Thread Information