Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: If have utorrent on your computer you might want to delete that shit asap

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

If have utorrent on your computer you might want to delete that shit asap

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/tor...tm_source=mbfb

I wonder what they have made off this scheme over the years using tens of millions of computers with the program installed for mining coins.

From Epic Scale’s agreement:

“We may use your computer's processing power, network connection, memory and storage for various purposes, including, but not limited to, cryptocurrency mining, data processing, data analysis and/or scientific research and development.”

You are also giving Epic Scale access to your data and personal information.

"Epic Scale alone (and its licensors) may collect data from you that you voluntarily enter in the click-through download and installation process and from your computer, in accordance with the terms of our Privacy Policy [ http://epicscale.com/privacy/], which is also available on our website, and which is incorporated in this Agreement."

Glad I dumped this shit years ago when I thought it was slowing my computer down at times and went to a way better client in deluge.

Comments

gimmick: usefull stuff... axed utorrent added deluge

Load Metric
    Can you even download shit with torrents anymore? I haven't downloaded with these in years, but my friend was telling me that he recently downloaded some movies and comcast temporarily shut down his net, and when he called them, they gave him a list of what he had downloaded illegally, and told him to cut that shit out.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    ^^^ - Yeah you can still and as far as that notice he got it might really be from Comcast or it might be one of the fake emails that are sent to people trying to extort money.

How the scheme works is they tell you they caught you downloading illegal/pirated content and if you pay them "x" amount along with promising not to do this again they won't take legal action. They have various phone numbers setup for each cable provider that are fake ones but where they can actually say "Comcast", "Charter", Time Warner",etc. when you call so anyone who ever gets this should probably either ignore it or definitely check to see if the phone number is legitimately the company they have internet from.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SetofKs View Post
    Can you even download shit with torrents anymore? I haven't downloaded with these in years, but my friend was telling me that he recently downloaded some movies and comcast temporarily shut down his net, and when he called them, they gave him a list of what he had downloaded illegally, and told him to cut that shit out.
    Most people use a VPN or Usenet...but that shit does cost money and can affect DL speeds because one is paring the data even more to conceal the identity of the IP.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker
    I wonder what they have made off this scheme over the year
    "Packaged with the latest version of µTorrent is a program called Epic Scale"

short version; not much.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Banned
    Load Metric
    uTorrent has been awful for quite a while. Oddly enough I started using it because it was simple and lean at one time, unlike my previous client that had gradually started adding obnoxious ads and frivolous updates. Then uTorrent went down the same path, so I switched to qBittorrent.

This is an annoying cycle with free software, but one I've come to accept.

Load Metric
    Utorrent for the Mac is a fine program. The op title is hyperbolic nonsense and is akin to the red scare Cold War era.

Comments

Muck Ficon: Trying way too hard to sound smart

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker
    I wonder what they have made off this scheme over the year

short version; not much.
    I believe utorrent bogging computers down has gone on way longer then the latest version for whatever the hell they were doing but yeah Epic Scale is apparently new. Who knows if they were doing something else in the past?

utorrent has been shit for years yet it got so popular early on that millions of people stuck with it cause people simply hate change.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

short version; not much.
    I believe utorrent bogging computers down has gone on way longer then the latest version for whatever the hell they were doing but yeah Epic Scale is apparently new. Who knows if they were doing something else in the past?

utorrent has been shit for years yet it got so popular early on that millions of people stuck with it cause people simply hate change.

honestly, its not something that would have flown under the radar for long. lots of shitware bundled with utorrent but BTC mining generally doesnt escape observation from the anti-malware community for long.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt View Post
    Utorrent for the Mac is a fine program. The op title is hyperbolic nonsense and is akin to the red scare Cold War era.
    said the guy who clearly didnt read the article and also listens to white rappers.

#SORRYNOTSORRY

Load Metric
    You largesse motherfucker

Load Metric
    Rude.

Load Metric
    you shouldn't be using any of the newer utorrents anyway, imo.

Go with an older version, and turn off the updates. http://www.filehorse.com/download-utorrent/7858/

Load Metric
    sad but true; i use Vuze.

im not proud. i just love being able to stream to xbox with it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    uTorrent has been awful for quite a while. Oddly enough I started using it because it was simple and lean at one time, unlike my previous client that had gradually started adding obnoxious ads and frivolous updates. Then uTorrent went down the same path, so I switched to qBittorrent.

This is an annoying cycle with free software, but one I've come to accept.

uTorrent is definitely turning into a piece of malware, the ads are super-fast, downloads super-slow.

Downloading torrents I always look for a trusted user so I can avoid other malware and extortion/hijack software.

Load Metric
    You guys must have slow internet. My utorrent has never ever had ads for all the years of great service; it's simply the:

Comments

Muck Ficon: You must have supreme internet. No one cares Elliot

Load Metric
    Popular torrent client can steal your CPU cycles to mine Bitcoins
    http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/06/u...bitcoin-miner/

If you recently installed or updated uTorrent on your PC, you may have have picked up an unwanted passenger: a Bitcoin miner called Epic Scale. If you don't pay attention, that piece of code can be inadvertently installed with the latest uTorrent build (version 3.4.2). It can then use your computer as part of a Bitcoin farm (Litecoin, to be exact) to generate revenue for third parties. Users first reported the situation on uTorrent's forums, and it was quickly confirmed by a senior support manager. He said that the app "cannot be installed without permission," but one user claimed that there was "never a warning about it," even though he opted out of other bundled software.

Once it's installed, the program will take up CPU cycles, slowing your machine and causing it to burn more power. The support person described Epic Scale as "easy to uninstall," but some users reported otherwise. One said it didn't show up in the "Programs and Features" list for Windows, and another needed anti-adware software to be rid of it. (Epic Scale said the app can be uninstalled normally, but confirmed that it leaves behind registry keys.)

"We have reviewed the issue closely and can confirm there is no silent install happening." -- BitTorrent

uTorrent's parent company BitTorrent has denied that the software is installed without user consent, and told The Verge "we have reviewed the issue closely and can confirm there is no silent install happening... most likely, the users accepted the offer during the install." I attempted to install the software on my own PC, and can confirm that the software gave me the chance to decline or accept the "offer" -- though it could easily slip by a careless user. If it does, most antivirus companies have confirmed that Epic Scale isn't dangerous, though it could certainly be a performance-sapping nuisance.

BitTorrent said that the Epic Scale is "a great partner for us to continue to generate revenue for the company, while contributing funds to (philanthropic initiatives)." With the recent Lenovo SuperFish affair, however, users are on edge about unwanted software. One uTorrent forum user called Epic Scale's unexpected presence "quite a pity," adding "I will switch because of this."

Update: BitTorrent told The Verge that the Epic Scale software is not a "silent install," and we've confirmed it ourselves. It also told us that the user forums where the thread started may be down, and that no users' accounts have been suspended. The post has been updated with that information.
    When was uTorrent update version 3.4.2 released?

A few days ago I had a problem with a laptop that uTorrent was installed on, I had Avast anti-virus software and the computer was using almost 100% of the CPU.

Fuck uTorrent.

https://www.how-to-remove.com/epic-scale/

Banned
    Load Metric
    been ripping movie and music torrents using Utorrent for a good 2-3 years now...no plans to stop any time in the near future

warm regards

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I honestly wonder if this is why my cpu runs so high.. It's only been like this for last couple months. It's runs so high that slows my computer down when browsing. I've antivirus test nothing. Been super annoying

Thread Information