Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thought I'd Splurge on A Kick Ass Vacuum

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Thought I'd Splurge on A Kick Ass Vacuum

Was having a buddy of mine come over to do a couple of jobs around the house this Monday and he also owns a carpet cleaning business so I was going to have him clean my carpets too. I used some shitty carpet spray before vacuuming with my "Ballin" Oreck a while back and the rugs felt like they were stuck together when I was done and almost felt like sandpaper when they dried.

But after a little breakeven stretch I hit a little heater and decided to "splurge" on a new carpet cleaner that can shampoo the carpets instead of paying this dude whatever he was going to charge me.

So I took a ride to Wal-Mart to pick one out and they were all out of stock but they had some rentals that were like $40 but you had to drop another $20 on cleaning solution and I knew Druff would not approve of the rental so I made my way to home depot.

I picked up this Hoover that is not exactly "ballin" in the carpet game but it does the job. And for $130 I think it was a good buy.

Dogs approve OBV

Carpet Cleaning Graph

/thread

Comments

Sanlmar: Hypoallergenic grinder rep

SrslySirius: that's some mighty fine vacuuming sir

DRK Star: there is a "suck out" joke here somewhere

WillieMcFML: beast mode graph rep

Charham: Cha Ching those last $3,000 hands!

tyde: lol

Kuntmissioner: inspiring
    Last edited by chinamaniac; 03-04-2015 at 08:07 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Well, now I see who has been bad beating me on Bovada recently.

Load Metric
    Dyson or GTFO

I have never enjoyed vacuuming or had a boner for a vacuum........

Until I got a Dyson

Load Metric
    forum needs more hoover-related threads imo

Comments

Sanlmar: Lol

Load Metric
    I got this image of China's poker setup.

Lace doilies under his monitor & keyboard. Coaster under his drink. Big bottle of Purell hand sanitizer beside the mouse.

Ballin'

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    So I took a ride to Wal-Mart to pick one out and they were all out of stock but they had some rentals that were like $40 but you had to drop another $20 on cleaning solution and I knew Druff would not approve of the rental so I made my way to home depot.
    NEVER and I repeat, NEVER spend a bunch of money on a carpet cleaner solution. I used to work for a consumer products company that manufactured all kinds of household cleaning products. A carpet cleaning solution is nothing more than another all-purpose household cleaning product wrapped in a bottle with a much higher mark-up and a marketing label that says "carpet cleaner." Those are HIGH margin products for the manufacturer.

We had our own name brands and we manufactured private label products for grocery/department stores. We put the same exact solution in all the bottles for the most part, sometimes the solution would change, but not much when it came to the active ingredients. The bottles differed and so did the sizes based on what name was on the bottle. It's the same for all-purpose cleaners, glass cleaners, drain cleaners, etc... We had about 1k SKU's.

Think 409, but instead of being $3.49 it's $19.99 for a carpet cleaning solution. People fall for it, because they are afraid to use any other product than the one prescribed (by the manufacturer obv) for the carpet cleaner machine, as if a different solution will all the sudden break the carpet cleaning machine.

You can use an all-purpose solution like Mean Green or LA Awesome that comes in gallon sizes for just a few bucks at a dollar store and it will do just as good or out perform the prescribed carpet solution.

Don't buy into the marketing propoganda. I'm telling you this even though you already bought your own machine, because you can use that product in your Hoover instead of a way overpriced carpet cleaning solution.

Comments

Sanlmar: Making peace with his conscience rep

Charham: Nice insight, txs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    I got this image of China's poker setup.

Lace doilies under his monitor & keyboard. Coaster under his drink. Big bottle of Purell hand sanitizer beside the mouse.

Ballin'
    close

Comments

Sanlmar: Coasters.

4Dragons: nice

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FR1GHT View Post
    NEVER and I repeat, NEVER spend a bunch of money on a carpet cleaner solution. I used to work for a consumer products company that manufactured all kinds of household cleaning products. A carpet cleaning solution is nothing more than another all-purpose household cleaning product wrapped in a bottle with a much higher mark-up and a marketing label that says "carpet cleaner." Those are HIGH margin products for the manufacturer.

We had our own name brands and we manufactured private label products for grocery/department stores. We put the same exact solution in all the bottles for the most part, sometimes the solution would change, but not much when it came to the active ingredients. The bottles differed and so did the sizes based on what name was on the bottle. It's the same for all-purpose cleaners, glass cleaners, drain cleaners, etc... We had about 1k SKU's.

Think 409, but instead of being $3.49 it's $19.99 for a carpet cleaning solution. People fall for it, because they are afraid to use any other product than the one prescribed (by the manufacturer obv) for the carpet cleaner machine, as if a different solution will all the sudden break the carpet cleaning machine.

You can use an all-purpose solution like Mean Green or LA Awesome that comes in gallon sizes for just a few bucks at a dollar store and it will do just as good or out perform the prescribed carpet solution.

Don't buy into the marketing propoganda. I'm telling you this even though you already bought your own machine, because you can use that product in your Hoover instead of a way overpriced carpet cleaning solution.
    Good to have this affirmed. I have some all purpose spray called awesome and someone told me earlier this would do the trick instead of the solution. Now what about like 409 carpet spray? I have a few bottles of that lying around. What if I spray that into the hot water in the tank and mix it. Would this be any good?

Bronze
    Load Metric

Good to have this affirmed. I have some all purpose spray called awesome and someone told me earlier this would do the trick instead of the solution. Now what about like 409 carpet spray? I have a few bottles of that lying around. What if I spray that into the hot water in the tank and mix it. Would this be any good?
    Well honestly, based on my original post, 409 really isn't any different than LA Awesome or Mean Green besides the price tag. Given that, I think 409 would be fine with my industry knowledge. I'm just more comfortable with LA Awesome/Mean Green, because they compete in the same target market I worked in. 409/Clorox are in the same market, but they are high end products so they were competitors, but not for the same target buyer.

I haven't seen LA Awesome in my region for sale in gallon size, but Mean Green is in this region as a gallon. I know you can stick either one of those into your carpet cleaner and they will perform well and they have low price points. I know that LA Awesome/Mean Green were just as good as 409/Clorox based on the independent research we would get regularly. They all use the same active ingredients for the most part. I'm just not as familiar with 409/Clorox to put my weight behind it when giving a recommendation.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Well honestly, based on my original post, 409 really isn't any different than LA Awesome or Mean Green besides the price tag. Given that, I think 409 would be fine with my industry knowledge. I'm just more comfortable with LA Awesome/Mean Green, because they compete in the same target market I worked in. 409/Clorox are in the same market, but they are high end products so they were competitors, but not for the same target buyer.

I haven't seen LA Awesome in my region for sale in gallon size, but Mean Green is in this region as a gallon. I know you can stick either one of those into your carpet cleaner and they will perform well and they have low price points. I know that LA Awesome/Mean Green were just as good as 409/Clorox based on the independent research we would get regularly. They all use the same active ingredients for the most part. I'm just not as familiar with 409/Clorox to put my weight behind it when giving a recommendation.
    When I say 409 I mean the 409 carpet foam spray not the liquid 409 all purpose cleaner. Is that what you are referring to?

Bronze
    Load Metric

When I say 409 I mean the 409 carpet foam spray not the liquid 409 all purpose cleaner. Is that what you are referring to?
    I was just talking about 409 in the sense of all-purpose cleaner. I'm not sure about the foam, but my initial thoughts are don't stick a foaming spray into your machine. Carpet cleaning solutions for a machine in general don't foam. The 409 foam spray might cause un-expected pressure. I'd spray that on heavily soiled areas and then run the cleaner over it.

Comments

chinamaniac: thanks for the tips

ThreeBet: Solid advice ITT

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Agreed the spot cleaners are mostly bullshit. If you don't stay on top of keeping a carpet clean you might as well replace it. Nothing gets more abuse than carpeting and when you realize a "professional machine" is required it's usually too late.

Life sucks

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    Agreed the spot cleaners are mostly bullshit. If you don't stay on top of keeping a carpet clean you might as well replace it. Nothing gets more abuse than carpeting and when you realize a "professional machine" is required it's usually too late.

Life sucks
    Agreed, eventually I am going to tear these up and go with all wood floors

Load Metric
    Your in luck, FR1GHT no longer does fraud in a spray bottle and now works for a firm that sells imported Chinese laminate flooring.

Garrett may have been a victim of formaldehyde poisoning it turns out.

Banned
    Load Metric
    The place I'm living in now is all hardwood, and I don't think I ever want to go back to carpet.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Your in luck, FR1GHT no longer does fraud in a spray bottle and now works for a firm that sells imported Chinese laminate flooring.

Garrett may have been a victim of formaldehyde poisoning it turns out.
    I never sold anything. I work in finance. My curiousity in general always ends up with me knowing more than just the numbers.

Load Metric
    You guy's no nothing about sweepers!! I heisted this from Rosa's to clean the shed I'm staying in and a little water in the pan and this thng works magic!! It's called the rainbow!! Druff testify to the Rainbow every Jew had one back in the early 80's!!

Name:  rainbow-rosa.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  93.5 KB

Comments

WillieMcFML: early 80's kickass vacuum rep

Kuntmissioner: heavy

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    The place I'm living in now is all hardwood, and I don't think I ever want to go back to carpet.
    Makes sense. Ive had all hardwood before and it isnt even close which is better IMO

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post

Makes sense. Ive had all hardwood before and it isnt even close which is better IMO
    Personally, the grass is always greener...

If you have pets and they piss on your carpet, then your carpet will be ruined. If you have pets and they piss on your hardwood, then your hardwood will be ruined. I've been on both sides of the fence in the past two years. Carpet was my rental property and nice hardwoods are in my current property.

If your pet ruined one, then your pet will ruin the other. Pets=Kids in this conversation

Now if you're pet/kid free and prefer one over the other then go for it, but don't think for a second that if a pet/kid ruined your carpet/hardwood you're going to find a solution by swithing from one to the other is going to fix it. Hardwood is nice, but it's no solution for fixing pet/kid problems if they are the ones tearing up your carpet.

Load Metric
    Personally, the grass is always greener...

If you have pets and they piss on your carpet, then your carpet will be ruined. If you have pets and they piss on your hardwood, then your hardwood will be ruined. I've been on both sides of the fence in the past two years. Carpet was my rental property and nice hardwoods are in my current property.

If your pet ruined one, then your pet will ruin the other. Pets=Kids in this conversation

Now if you're pet/kid free and prefer one over the other then go for it, but don't think for a second that if a pet/kid ruined your carpet/hardwood you're going to find a solution by swithing from one to the other is going to fix it. Hardwood is nice, but it's no solution for fixing pet/kid problems if they are the ones tearing up your carpet.
    The hardwood/carpet kid analysis must include noise.

When kids were young & we had hardwood I had an expression "girls basketball" as all the neighborhood girls thundered across the floor.

Wife walking in heels across the floor makes me nuts too. Noise and countless high heel divots.

I am impressed by China's fastidiousness cause it rings familiar. Shut in grinder develops Howard Hughes obsessive compulsive behaviour.

The thought of sitting at a filthy Foxwoods table causes the room to spin, amirite?

Thread Information