Thread: Turn your computer into a WiFi hotspot

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Turn your computer into a WiFi hotspot

Free software package: http://www.connectify.me/hotspot/

There is a version you can buy, but the free version is very functional.

Basically this gives your computer the ability to TRANSMIT a wifi signal, which can be very useful in certain situations.

I find it's most useful where you are charged "per device" for hotel or airplane internet. Using connectify, you can pay for just one device (your computer), and then retransmit the internet to your other devices (phone, iPad, wife's computer, etc).

It is also useful if you are in a place with only wired internet, and you can then use your computer to act as a wireless router for all of your other devices.

It's not all that useful at home, but I've used it quite a few times on the road. Worth a download.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

This still works, BUT...

1) I was oversimplifying what Connectify does. It doesn't actually give your computer the ability to be a hotspot, but rather harnesses a feature the hardware already has. There are ways to do this without buying Connectify, but they requires some technical knowledge, and are a pain in the ass.

2) You might find that Connectify suddenly stops working. If you are getting an annoying error where some devices claim "wrong password" even though you're entering the right one, you need to update your network card drivers. Do not update through the Device Manager. Google your network card type, and go directly to the manufacturer page, and install the newest version of the drivers. If you're getting some other error with Connectify (for example, it just won't start the hotspot), you need to go into Services (type "services.msc" in the run bar) and stop the Connectify process, then reboot.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BUMP

This still works, BUT...

1) I was oversimplifying what Connectify does. It doesn't actually give your computer the ability to be a hotspot, but rather harnesses a feature the hardware already has. There are ways to do this without buying Connectify, but they requires some technical knowledge, and are a pain in the ass.

2) You might find that Connectify suddenly stops working. If you are getting an annoying error where some devices claim "wrong password" even though you're entering the right one, you need to update your network card drivers. Do not update through the Device Manager. Google your network card type, and go directly to the manufacturer page, and install the newest version of the drivers. If you're getting some other error with Connectify (for example, it just won't start the hotspot), you need to go into Services (type "services.msc" in the run bar) and stop the Connectify process, then reboot.

Just how quick is it? Is it latent as fuck?

I might need something like this in the near future.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupid Stunt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BUMP

This still works, BUT...

Just how quick is it? Is it latent as fuck?

I might need something like this in the near future.
    Not latent at all -- at least not for standard web browsing. I haven't tried anything intense with it, such as online gaming, but it's great for web browsing.

On airlines or cruise ships, the latency is a non-factor because the connection is so slow in the first place.

Think of it like this:

Say you wanted to send a written message to your mother on the other side of your backyard. If you put the message on a snail's back and had it crawl to her, it would take a long time for her to get the message.

Now let's say you had the snail crawl to me, who was sitting the same distance away from you as your mother. Then I would walk the message over to your mother.

Would this make a significant difference in how long the message takes to get to her? No, because the speed of my walking would be MUCH faster than the speed of the snail bringing it to me, so it would add only a tiny percentage of time to the entire process.

That's how I would describe the latency when using an airline or cruise ship connection. The broadcast from your laptop to your other device will be speedy compared to the data you're receiving in the first place.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

Windows 10 now has this functionality in its latest version, so this Connectify software is no longer necessary.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP #2

If you get a stupid error "We can't set up mobile hotspot", or if clicking on Mobile Hotspot simply flashes and doesn't do anything, here's how you fix it:

- Go to Device Manager
    - Use the top menu, and click View -> Show Hidden Deivces
    - Go to Network Adapters, and click on it so you see them all listed
    - Look for Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter. Look for the one which is not greyed out. Right click on it and click Disable Device. Then right click on it again and click Enable Device.

That should fix it.

You may need to do this whenever the thing doesn't work.

Thread Information