Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TRIGLYCERIDES - CHOLESTEROL

Skated Thru to PFA WP Title BHS's Avatar
    Load Metric

TRIGLYCERIDES - CHOLESTEROL

Any of you guys 35+ get bloodwork done lately?

Apparently my Triglycerides are through the roof as well as my good and bad cholesterol.. I smoke a decent amount of weed/vape, drink a couple times a week but seriously WTF? For exercise, I surf 3x a week at least, play on a softball team (lol) and I walk the golf course 3-4x a month.

Feeling like a bitch telling Druff to lay off the pepsi.. Anyway, who has had problems with this and what did you do to solve them?

Load Metric
    Atorvastatin, the generic of Lipitor---it is very cheap and effective--have you Dr write you a fix

it will get you numbers down in the good range, although lately there is some disagreement that cholesterol it totally bad

mine were bad, I tried the diet thing (oatmeal, grains, no pizza) lost 15 lbs over a year's time plus continued to visit the gym at least twice a week...no help

the pills did the job and have kept the numbers down now for 2 years.

Comments

BHS: Interesting
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Headshot View Post

Apparently my Triglycerides are through the roof as well as my good and bad cholesterol.. I smoke a decent amount of weed/vape, drink a couple times a week but seriously WTF? For exercise, I surf 3x a week at least, play on a softball team (lol) and I walk the golf course 3-4x a month.

Feeling like a bitch telling Druff to lay off the pepsi.. Anyway, who has had problems with this and what did you do to solve them?
    ya I had bloodwork that said my Triglys were too high, haven't done shit about it yet, but I need to lay off the red meat, candy (soda), and butter I figure

Load Metric
    Unless you want to cut out trans fat and alcohol, choose the medicine route.

Load Metric
    *FORGOT TO MENTION* I LOOK REASONABLY FIT OR BETTER WITH MY SHIRT OFF - S/O to Jewdonk, Druff and the Sizzler

Comments

ToasterOven: topless rep

Load Metric
    Topless pic or gtfo

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post
    Atorvastatin, the generic of Lipitor---it is very cheap and effective--have you Dr write you a fix

it will get you numbers down in the good range, although lately there is some disagreement that cholesterol it totally bad

mine were bad, I tried the diet thing (oatmeal, grains, no pizza) lost 15 lbs over a year's time plus continued to visit the gym at least twice a week...no help

You are thinking about LDL. There are many effective medications to combat high LDL (or the related high total cholesterol).

Headshot is saying that he has high triglycerides, which while part of a cholesterol panel, are a different matter.

There is no medication for high triglycerides, and that is typically caused by a diet high in fat and sugar, or by frequent alcohol consumption.

HDL, the "good cholesterol", is supposed to be high. If yours is low, it's likely due to lack of exercise.

Your total cholesterol number and your LDL are mostly hereditary. In the old days, it was believed that if you eat right and exercise, your cholesterol will stay low. That was proven false. LDL/total cholesterol levels are mostly hereditary, with only a small element related to lifestyle.

So a look at my personal cholesterol, from December 2014:

Total: 142 (excellent)
    LDL: 80 (excellent)
    HDL: 30 (bad, but not a concern because LDL is so low)
    Triglycerides: 244 (bad, but not terrible)

Doctors like to use the LDL/HDL ratio to determine your risk of heart attack. If your ratio is less than 3.5:1, then you're not high risk. Mine is 2.67:1, which is very good despite my low HDL.

There is no medication (at the moment) which is approved for raising HDL or lowering triglycerides.

Headshot: You need to quit drinking so much, and also cut sugar/fat out of your diet somewhat. How high were your triglycerides?

Comments

big dick: smart jew rep

Load Metric
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...y-cholesterol/

The nation’s top nutrition advisory panel has decided to drop its caution about eating cholesterol-laden food, a move that could undo almost 40 years of government warnings about its consumption.

The group’s finding that cholesterol in the diet need no longer be considered a “nutrient of concern” stands in contrast to the committee’s findings five years ago, the last time it convened. During those proceedings, as in previous years, the panel deemed the issue of excess cholesterol in the American diet a public health concern.

The finding follows an evolution of thinking among many nutritionists who now believe that, for healthy adults, eating foods high in cholesterol may not significantly affect the level of cholesterol in the blood or increase the risk of heart disease.

The greater danger in this regard, these experts believe, lies not in products such as eggs, shrimp or lobster, which are high in cholesterol, but in too many servings of foods heavy with saturated fats, such as fatty meats, whole milk, and butter.

The new view on cholesterol in food does not reverse warnings about high levels of “bad” cholesterol in the blood, which have been linked to heart disease. Moreover, some experts warned that people with particular health problems, such as diabetes, should continue to avoid cholesterol-rich diets.

While Americans may be accustomed to conflicting dietary advice, the change on cholesterol comes from the influential Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, the group that provides the scientific basis for the “Dietary Guidelines.” That federal publication has broad effects on the American diet, helping to determine the content of school lunches, affecting how food manufacturers advertise their wares, and serving as the foundation for reams of diet advice.

The panel laid out the cholesterol decision in December, at its last meeting before it writes a report that will serve as the basis for the next version of the guidelines. A video of the meeting was later posted online and a person with direct knowledge of the proceedings said the cholesterol finding would make it to the group’s final report, which is due within weeks.

After Marian Neuhouser, chair of the relevant subcommittee, announced the decision to the panel at the December meeting, one panelist appeared to bridle.

“So we’re not making a [cholesterol] recommendation?” panel member Miriam Nelson, a Tufts University professor, said at the meeting as if trying to absorb the thought. “Okay ... Bummer.”

Members of the panel, called the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, said they would not comment until the publication of their report, which will be filed with the Department of Health and Human Services and the Department of Agriculture.

While those agencies could ignore the committee’s recommendations, major deviations are not common, experts said.

Five years ago, “I don’t think the Dietary Guidelines diverged from the committee’s report,” said Naomi K. Fukagawa, a University of Vermont professor who served as the committee’s vice chair in 2010. Fukagawa said she supports the change on cholesterol.

Walter Willett, chair of the nutrition department at the Harvard School of Public Health, also called the turnaround on cholesterol a “reasonable move.”

“There’s been a shift of thinking,” he said.

But the change on dietary cholesterol also shows how the complexity of nutrition science and the lack of definitive research can contribute to confusion for Americans who, while seeking guidance on what to eat, often find themselves afloat in conflicting advice.

Cholesterol has been a fixture in dietary warnings in the United States at least since 1961, when it appeared in guidelines developed by the American Heart Association. Later adopted by the federal government, such warnings helped shift eating habits -- per capita egg consumption dropped about 30 percent -- and harmed egg farmers.

Yet even today, after more than a century of scientific inquiry, scientists are divided.

Some nutritionists said lifting the cholesterol warning is long overdue, noting that the United States is out-of-step with other countries, where diet guidelines do not single out cholesterol. Others support maintaining a warning.

The forthcoming version of the Dietary Guidelines -- the document is revised every five years -- is expected to navigate myriad similar controversies. Among them: salt, red meat, sugar, saturated fats and the latest darling of food-makers, Omega-3s.

As with cholesterol, the dietary panel’s advice on these issues will be used by the federal bureaucrats to draft the new guidelines, which offer Americans clear instructions -- and sometimes very specific, down-to-the-milligram prescriptions. But such precision can mask sometimes tumultuous debates about nutrition.

“Almost every single nutrient imaginable has peer reviewed publications associating it with almost any outcome,” John P.A. Ioannidis, a professor of medicine and statistics at Stanford and one of the harshest critics of nutritional science, has written. “In this literature of epidemic proportions, how many results are correct?”

Now comes the shift on cholesterol.
    Save a Cow - Eat a Vegetarian, they're grass-fed.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

You are thinking about LDL. There are many effective medications to combat high LDL (or the related high total cholesterol).

Headshot is saying that he has high triglycerides, which while part of a cholesterol panel, are a different matter.

There is no medication for high triglycerides, and that is typically caused by a diet high in fat and sugar, or by frequent alcohol consumption.

HDL, the "good cholesterol", is supposed to be high. If yours is low, it's likely due to lack of exercise.

Your total cholesterol number and your LDL are mostly hereditary. In the old days, it was believed that if you eat right and exercise, your cholesterol will stay low. That was proven false. LDL/total cholesterol levels are mostly hereditary, with only a small element related to lifestyle.

Doctors like to use the LDL/HDL ratio to determine your risk of heart attack. If your ratio is less than 3.5:1, then you're not high risk. Mine is 2.67:1, which is very good despite my low HDL.

There is no medication (at the moment) which is approved for raising HDL or lowering triglycerides.

Headshot: You need to quit drinking so much, and also cut sugar/fat out of your diet somewhat. How high were your triglycerides?
    Welp, there are a couple factors in play here that are pretty interesting.

1. My girlfriend (living together for 2+ years) is a registered Dietitian and she does 99% of the cooking in our home. We eat pretty fucking healthy by any standard measure, minus the nights we go burger and beer it up, which prob averages 2x a week. I don't think my diet is all that high in fat or sugar, honestly.

2. My Triglycerides were like 435 and the healthy range is supposed to be 149 or less.. YIKES. HDL 63 (looking for 40 or lower) LDL 171 (looking for 99 or less). Total 291, supposed to be under 200. My Non-HDL 228

3. I don't drink a ton but often times when I do it's a weekend party situation and I go pretty big. I don't know if this really matters but I don't drink on a daily basis for sure.

4. I don't want to get the aids and I'm willing to make lifestyle changes if absolutely necessary.

Druff, does this change anything for you?

Load Metric

1. My girlfriend (living together for 2+ years) is a registered Dietitian and she does 99% of the cooking in our home. We eat pretty fucking healthy by any standard measure, minus the nights we go burger and beer it up, which prob averages 2x a week. I don't think my diet is all that high in fat or sugar, honestly.

2. My Triglycerides were like 435 and the healthy range is supposed to be 149 or less.. YIKES. HDL 63 (looking for 40 or lower) LDL 171 (looking for 99 or less). Total 291, supposed to be under 200. My Non-HDL 228

3. I don't drink a ton but often times when I do it's a weekend party situation and I go pretty big. I don't know if this really matters but I don't drink on a daily basis for sure.

4. I don't want to get the aids and I'm willing to make lifestyle changes if absolutely necessary.

63 is actually good. You want that number high. Higher the better.

Comments

BHS: Oops, TY
    :freelewfather

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

The 435 is pretty bad. It is not in the 500+ hazardous range yet, but it's close.

Your LDL and total cholesterol are also bad, but those can be controlled by medication. You should talk to your doctor about getting on it immediately. Fortunately these work well and have had a big effect on raising life expectancy.

You can't take medication for the triglycerides. I would cut out the alcohol, aside from an occasional drink, and retest in a few months.

Did you fast before the cholesterol test for 12 hours? If you didn't, forget these results and take it again after fasting. By "fasting", I mean eating nothing and only drinking water. It's better to do these in the morning so you sleep most of these 12 hours (just to avoid the problem of being hungry).

Your HDL is good. You want it high, not low. 63 is a good number, so that's the one piece of good news here. Your LDL:HDL ratio is 3.61:1, so that's not awful. Slightly high, but your HDL is actually saving you from your bad LDL, much like my low LDL is saving me from my bad HDL (though overall my picture is better, since my ratio is 2.67 and yours is 3.61.)

Basic suggestions: Make sure you fasted before this test. If you did, get on cholesterol medication, and cut the alcohol way down. Retest in a few months and see if there's improvement.

Load Metric
    Did you fast before the cholesterol test for 12 hours? If you didn't, forget these results and take it again after fasting. By "fasting", I mean eating nothing and only drinking water. It's better to do these in the morning so you sleep most of these 12 hours (just to avoid the problem of being hungry)..
    I did not fast whatsoever before the bloodwork, which was drawn around 4pm in the afternoon.

Part of me feels a bit in denial here, so I was curious about others experience with this just as much as my own.

I will not make fun of you for drinking pepsi for quite a while though. I apologize in fact. People in glass houses...

Load Metric
    You need to fast. These results should be ignored. Go ahead and have a drink to celebrate.

Comments

BHS: GOD BLESS

Load Metric

thanks for explaining the biochemistry!

My condition was the High Cholesterol was good, but the Low Cholestrol was too high as were the Tri's...Atorvostatin resulted in lower numbers for Low Cholesterol & Tri's...don't know why, and you mileage may vary
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 02-26-2015 at 01:38 PM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Bronze
    Load Metric
    My triglycerides started at over 800. Doctor put me on fenofibrate which is for high triglycerides. look it up. last check they were in the 600 range. I ave heard and read about people who have 1000+ triglycerides that still somehow crawl out of bed each day. Talk to your doctor about it. A poker forum probably is not the best place for health advice. Link for the drug:http://www.drugs.com/fenofibrate.html

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
    My triglycerides started at over 800. Doctor put me on fenofibrate which is for high triglycerides. look it up. last check they were in the 600 range. I ave heard and read about people who have 1000+ triglycerides that still somehow crawl out of bed each day. Talk to your doctor about it. A poker forum probably is not the best place for health advice. Link for the drug:http://www.drugs.com/fenofibrate.html
    Thanks for link. Druff's brother is a cardiologist btw..

Bronze
    Load Metric
    No problem. I panicked when this got dumped on me. Talk to your doctor, mine started with the diet route then went the pill route when it was not dropping fast enough for her.

Gold
    Load Metric

My numbers were high and I quit sugar and that resolved the problem. Fat and cholesterol is not as bad for you as the cardiologists originally thought. Many are flipping their stance. I went from 230 to 187 by quitting soda and candy. 1 person's result is not a scientific experiment but I believe I have done the homework and believe it to be true.

"If you’ve been trying to reduce high blood cholesterol levels, you might be surprised to learn that sugars, even more than saturated fats, are the main culprits contributing to your problem."
    http://preventivecardiologyinc.com/cholesterol-myth/
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/0...rictions/?_r=0
    http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014...y-myths-fed-up
    http://www.biznews.com/lchf-health-s...a-lchf-hearts/
    http://www.bbc.com/news/health-24625808
    http://coconutoil.com/cardiologist-s...g-than-butter/

Gold
    Load Metric
    No problem. I panicked when this got dumped on me. Talk to your doctor, mine started with the diet route then went the pill route when it was not dropping fast enough for her.
    What kind of diet did your doctor recommend?

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by snake_in_the_ass View Post
    What kind of diet did your doctor recommend?
    cut down the sugar
    lay off the fried and fast foods
    quit drinking which is funny because i maybe have one or two drinks a year but she is convinced I'm a closet alcoholic even after i told her my entire drug history
    exercise more
    quit smoking- I do smoke between 3 to 5 packs a day
    eat fatty fish protein more often instead of red meat
    cut down on carbs

Thread Information