Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ** OFFICIAL ** Buy Pieces of Dan Druff for the 2015 WSOP Thread

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

** OFFICIAL ** Buy Pieces of Dan Druff for the 2015 WSOP Thread

It's time for the WSOP, and I have again decided to sell pieces of the events I am playing.

Before we get started, here are a few things to consider:

- I am doing this both to reduce variance and to give the PFA community a way to experience some of the excitement of the WSOP without actually attending. However, I would play all of these tournaments with or without any pieces being bought of me.

- I am not promoting this as a great investment opportunity. It's not. It's simply a chance for you to be able to have fun rooting for a WSOP player you know (me), while being financially invested in his results.

- The biggest advantage you get by buying pieces of me is that you know I am 100% reliable. There is zero chance you will get stiffed if I cash, and zero chance I will take your money and run and/or fake playing the events. In addition, as I don't drink or do drugs, you will be assured that I will be playing all of these events in a proper mental and physical state.

- Another big advantage is that I will FREQUENTLY update my chip counts and other tournament info via my "chips" Twitter: http://twitter.com/DanDruffPoker .... so you'll feel like you're actually there.

- This is a straight-up "buy a piece" deal. If you buy pieces of my events and lose, there is no "makeup". The money is gone forever.

- If you win over $600 through me hitting a big score, I will need to send you tax forms. That will require me having your full name, address, and social security number. If you don't feel comfortable with that, I suggest you don't buy any pieces of me. Of course, I will keep all information in the strictest confidence, and will only ask for it if I need to issue you a tax form.

Okay, now that I've gotten that stuff out of the way, I'm changing a few things this year regarding how I'm selling events.

During prior years, it has been a huge pain in the ass to keep track of who is buying into which events, and then figuring out who to compensate when I cash. And then when I min-cash, I have to make all kinds of $35 type payments to people with 1% shares, which again is a huge waste of time and energy for everyone.

Also, I really want anyone who invests in my WSOP to make money if I have a good year. I felt bad in 2013 when, despite my finishing 5th in the $5k Limit Holdem for over $50k, some investors still lost money because they didn't buy that particular event.

Therefore, I am going to be grouping most of the events I'm playing into one entity, and you will buy pieces of all of them at the same time. These events will be:

June 2 Event 11 $1500 Limit Holdem
    June 5 Event 16A $1500 Millionaire Maker NL Holdem
    June 7 Event 19 $3000 Six-Handed Limit Holdem
    June 8 Event 20 $1500 NL Holdem
    June 20 Event 42 $1500 Extended Play NL Holdem
    June 22 Event 45 $1500 NL Holdem
    June 24 Event 50 $10,000 Limit Holdem Championship
    June 27 Event 55 $1500 50/50 NL Holdem
    So the total buyin for the above 8 events is $22,000. I will be selling 80 shares of the above combined events, for $132 each. Each "share" gets you 0.5% of my TOTAL cashes for the above events. That's a 20% markup, in case you're wondering.

So, to repeat, $132 gets you an 0.5% share in ALL of the above 8 events.

If I miss any of the $1500 events (due to illness or scheduling conflicts), then I will increase your shares in the other events proportionately. There will be no refunds for unplayed $1500 events. If I miss the $10k Limit Holdem or $3k Limit Holdem, in that case you will get a refund. Otherwise, you will just get more shares in the other events, even if it's retroactively.

I will give you an example:

Say you buy 2 shares for $132 each. So you send me $264, and now own 1% of me for those 8 events.

However, I make Day 2 of Event #19, and therefore miss Event #20. That event had a $1500 buyin, so I subtract $1500 from $22,000 (the total cost of all the buyins), now making the total buyins $20,500, and making the "base" price for 1% to be $205. Multiply that by 20% (for the markup), and now 1% of me was only $246, instead of the $264 you paid. So dividing 264/246, you now own 1.0732% of me for the other 7 events (even if I've already cashed in some prior), instead of the 1% you used to own.

If I miss the $10k Limit Holdem for some reason, in that case I will simply refund everyone $60 per share. If I miss the $3k Limit Holdem, I will refund $18 per share. Everything else will be rolled into the other events as described above.

Here are the two events I will NOT be selling, and therefore they will not be part of the "group". If I cash in either of these, I will be keeping 100% of the money (and, of course, I will be putting up 100% of the buyins for these myself):

May 30 Event 5C $565 Colossus NL Holdem
    July 6 Event 68B $10,000 Main Event NL Holdem

Why these two? Because I feel silly selling pieces of a $565 event, and I don't want to dilute the huge potential Main Event prize for myself, as the $10 million or so prize is much of the fun of playing it.

You may only buy a maximum of 8 shares of me ($1056), meaning you will own a maximum of 4% of my action. I am doing this in order to give everyone a chance to buy pieces of me.

Once I get to 80 shares sold (40%), I am closing it.

If it seems there isn't enough interest to get me up to 40%, at that point I will open it up for people with 4% to buy more if they want.

Also, the minimum you can buy is one share (0.5%) for $132. I know that some people in the past were buying small pieces of single events, for as little as $18. While I was happy to provide those people with such a cheap "sweat" for the WSOP, it became an administrative headache for me, so I am trying to keep it simpler this year. As $132 isn't all that much money, I believe it leaves the door open for nearly everyone here to afford 0.5% of me if they so choose.

I accept the following payments: Check, money order, cash-in-envelope (your risk in sending it, though), bitcoin, bank transfer (PM me for bank info), cash deposit into my bank (again, PM me for bank info). If you are mailing me a check/money order/cash, please PM me for the address.

Unless I know you really well, I can't "hold" pieces for you until I actually have your money in hand. It's first come, first served.

Feel free to post any questions.

Please do NOT clutter this thread with trolling, nonsense, or debates whether or not my markup is a good value. If you wish to make such commentary, feel free to start a different thread. This thread is only for direct discussion of people interested in buying WSOP pieces.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    By the way, I don't even think this is a bad value, because almost 66% of the money will be going toward limit holdem events, where obviously I have a bigger edge than the NL ones.

I am the 10th highest cashing player all time in the WSOP limit holdem events, despite only playing since 2005 (and they date back LONG before that).

Initially I was going to give a break to people who bought and lost last year, but I decided not to do so, as many of those same people made good money the year before when I finished 5th in the $5k LHE event. I think I am charging a fair price here, given that almost 2/3 of the money is going toward limit events where I am stronger.

Skated Thru to PFA WP Title BHS's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Could you elaborate at how you arrived at the 20% markup figure or no?

If not no biggie.

Load Metric
    I feel like this would be a good value if you were to run good in multiple events. Typically though you look at maybe like 1 or 2 minimal cashes and 1 fairly deep run a year. In that case I just can't really see the value in paying for a 1% across the board.

So assuming I buy 1% of you and you get like 20k total cashes, a 3k a 4k and a 13k. I still lost money whereas if I just bought the equivalent dollar amount of you in the in event you win 13k in, say it's a 1.5k buy in (18%), I'm making good money.

Idk. I'll have to think about this.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Although your ROI should be much higher than 20% in the main event, otoh it should be much lower than that in the 10K limit. Plus, people prefer to have a sweat in the main, everyone knows that this is where the value is.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Marty can no longer post on this forum, as he ignored my request to not troll this thread.

Comments

Jayjami: Where is the buy a piece of Marty thread?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by anonamoose View Post
    I feel like this would be a good value if you were to run good in multiple events. Typically though you look at maybe like 1 or 2 minimal cashes and 1 fairly deep run a year. In that case I just can't really see the value in paying for a 1% across the board.

So assuming I buy 1% of you and you get like 20k total cashes, a 3k a 4k and a 13k. I still lost money whereas if I just bought the equivalent dollar amount of you in the in event you win 13k in, say it's a 1.5k buy in (18%), I'm making good money.

Idk. I'll have to think about this.
    I understand the concern. If it makes you feel any better, over 50% of the money goes into two events -- the $3k 6-Max Limit and the $10k Limit, so if I run well in either of those, you are likely to make money.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Headshot View Post
    Could you elaborate at how you arrived at the 20% markup figure or no?

If not no biggie.
    It's been around that for years.

It is there because I am the one spending the time, effort, and some expense to play these events.

Also, I am choosing events which, from personal experience, I feel I have a good shot at doing well. The $1500 NL events all have fields with a lot of recreational players, and the limit events are self-explanatory.

At the same time, I am not promoting this as a wonderful +EV investment opportunity. This is something you do for fun if you want to buy a piece of me in lieu of going to the WSOP yourself.

Now, you could probably buy pieces of other WSOP players for cheaper. However, with me you get the following advantages, especially if you're doing it for fun and not necessarily as an investment:

1) You know I won't ever stiff you with the money. I will be honest regarding which events I play and don't play, and will always pay out winnings.

2) You know I won't get stoned/drunk the night before, nor will I spend the entire night before playing cash and show up on 1 hour of sleep. You can be certain that I will take these seriously.

3) I update my chip counts, notable hands, and interesting table situations on Twitter very frequently. With many other people, you are lucky to see a chip count once every 4 hours.

4) I am someone you are familiar with, probably for many years. So it's more fun to watch than some random on 2+2 who you barely know.

If I were hurting for money, I would probably sell these at even money and not mark anything up, because I would be happy just to get the opportunity to play.

But that's not my situation. I can easily afford to play with or without these pieces sold. So I'm doing this 20% markup (very common, actually), and if you still think it's something you would like to do, then I am happy to sell you pieces. If you think this is a lousy value and it doesn't appeal to you, then obviously steer clear of the whole thing.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Marty can no longer post on this forum, as he ignored my request to not troll this thread.
    As soon as I saw this thread , I was looking for Tyde. Man, even asked him in advance not to troll but the force was too strong with that one. Gl in the wsop sir. Do we have to reload poker forum. If there is a freeroll for tonight show would like to play it, I like to play the freerolls while I listen. Think I saw bellybuster post something about this but unsure. Didn't want to start a new thread sorry for any hijacks all the best in wsop again.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Put me down for a share. $132 just sent

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    THIS WILL BE THE OFFICIAL LIST OF RECEIVED MONEY FOR SHARES. If you are listed here, you officially own the below listed shares (0.5% each) of my WSOP action for the above-stated 8 events:

Updated 5/2/15 at 12:15am

FR1GHT 1
    MispronouncedArchive: 4
    system.out.println: 4
    cmoney 8
    gut 3
    Shizzmoney 1
    trdhrsky 2
    Charham 8
    CarlB 5
    KlownBuster 2
    belly buster 2
    Tellafriend 8
    snowtracks 1
    PAINLESSWON 3
    BrandonR 1
    DaGreek23 4
    mulhs82 1
    anonamoose 8
    ToughPuppy 2
    MarketingSlime 1
    Vintage_One 4
    cleatus 1
    DutchDoDo 2
    hishga 1
    MrEWubbz 1
    JW 2

Remaining shares: 0

Load Metric
    sign me up for 3 shares por favor. Shipping now.

Silver
    Load Metric
    I'll be buying , don't expect a reserve, but think 1.2 is a bit old school.
    cmoney :It would be nice if Mexico could simply get human feces out of its drinking water

Load Metric
    should probably edit that OP to say that you are selling 80 shares, not 200 BTW.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Put me down for 1, shipped the loot

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    sign me up for 3 shares por favor. Shipping now.
    whoops

fixed

Radio Co-Host
    Load Metric
    Druff, Why are you not giving a deal like you said you would to past investors . You of all people I thought would keep your word . Perhaps cut the juice a little . I don't know . Just my opinion

Load Metric
    Please put me down for 1 share .. Druff is Zod

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Oooh a BAP. Sign me up.

2 shares please (1%). $264 shipped
    Good Luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage_one View Post
    Druff, Why are you not giving a deal like you said you would to past investors . You of all people I thought would keep your word . Perhaps cut the juice a little . I don't know . Just my opinion
    Sorry, I thought I was going to cut it, but I decided not to because it's too much of a headache figuring out who invested in previous years, and winning/losing in the past is just part of the way things are.

2014 didn't go well, but people made a lot on 2013.

Thread Information