Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Better Call Saul

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertstemple View Post
    Fargo season 3 finale was also a dud, and The Americans ended flat

I havent watched Fargo season finale (tonight probably) but its worth noting that the head writer said there probably wont be 4th season; they are out of ideas. Like literally.

And The American's next season is its last as well which makes me wonder if this season was some sort of set-up for the final run or they are just limp-wristing it over the plate because they feel written into a corner.

The latter would really fucking suck because we are literally talking about a cold war espionage show without a significant ideological betrayal and thats kind of like showing up for a BBQ only to find out its vegan. Like they seriously might have just given up on cold war espionage and turned this shit into a drama about the struggles of parenting in the 80s without telling anyone, the espionage feels borderline irrelevant at this point.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    I read that they wanted to end the season in case they don't make a season 4.

Saul died at the Cinnabon after realizing he can't do the job that he loves
    Chuck killed himself after realizing he can't do the job that he loves
    We have a complete backstory on Mike and Gus and realize Mike kind of knows how it will end
    Ding! Ding! We see how Hector ends up in the wheelchair.
    It's implied that Gus knows Nacho tried to kill Hector IMHO.

I think the fact that thy didn't know if there would be a season 4 or not kind of handcuffed them.

URL? According to a direct quote from G&G, 100% of the holdup for signing Season 4 is Zack Van Amburg and Jamie Erlicht leaving Sony and no one being entirely sure who needs to sign what over there. Plus the show is still racking up awards, maintains a reasonable number of viewers, and has super low production costs, so it strikes me as a bit odd, this claim that they felt compelled to wrap up loose strings.
    Something I read last week about the writers perspective. It does seem like there will be season 4 but the writers felt compelled not to leave everything open in case this was it.

Comments

sonatine: interesting

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Yeah this season seemed to be a little too serious with not as much humour as BCS viewers were looking forward to.
    I thought the finale was fine though; it tied up a few ends nicely....but we definitely need a season 4.

This would definitely not be satisfying as a complete ending.
    I think shit is really going to pick up steam next season and be much more of the BB/BCS image that we are used to and hopeful of seeing.

Jimmy hasn't even changed his name yet and set up shop, so im sure we will see plenty of antics with that deal

Im thinking kim will give jimmy his "cut" from the settlement and they will part ways because jimmy obv doesnt trust kim anymore. (Hard to say imo if the writers make kim donkdown but i dont think they will) Obv jimmy uses that cash to get himself going....buy "the car" etc

I think there will be a handful of people going donkdown besides the obvious Chuck

Gus will be consolidating his power and probably taking care of loose ends, so you know Mike will be pretty busy digging holes in the desert.

Then im still wondering if somehow they sneak Jesse into the script somewhere doing a cameo. Last i heard, they werent going that route, but maybe they want to make a surprise

Load Metric
    One, I think Gus is going to make Nacho listen to his whole extended family get murdered on the phone before he catches one behind the ear because Gus wants to demonstrate his (fake) loyalty to the cartel.

Two, that Fargo season finale was... not... good.

I really dont want Fargo as a series to go out on that note. It had some real high points.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    One, I think Gus is going to make Nacho listen to his whole extended family get murdered on the phone before he catches one behind the ear because Gus wants to demonstrate his (fake) loyalty to the cartel.

Two, that Fargo season finale was... not... good.

I really dont want Fargo as a series to go out on that note. It had some real high points.
    Mike made it a point to "switch out those pills". Gus definely noticed Nacho with the pills in the aftermath.

I think it's a bit weak sauce to take Nacho out esp with the whole enemy of my enemy part plus the fact that his #1 guy knows he can work with him.

Then again I never really got Gus knifing his #2 guy in Br Ba but they did have to show what a bad ass he could be from time to time.

Comments

sonatine: was thinking about how enigmatic and shocking that lab scene was today actually

Load Metric
    fargo finale was great you are officially losing your mind

Load Metric
    eehhhhnnnnnnnn......

Load Metric
    carie coon goat but ehhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnn

Load Metric
    david thewlis talking about anything puts it in the top 1 percent of ways to spend an hour

Platinum
    Load Metric
    At first, the idea that Nacho would be taken out by Gus was completely off the table for me, but...

The more I think about it, its possible he might...but imo perhaps not for the reason Sonatine just mentioned...

Regarding the pill tampering, obv Gus knew the whole time, because Mike obv knew. Would Gus really want a loose end like Nacho walking around who fucked up Hector, when there are drug lords like Don Eladio & Juan Bolsa who could potentially catch wind of the setup (i.e. them interrogating Nacho)? Yeah, naturally Bolsa and Eladio didnt favor Hector because he didn't produce like Gus could - but they are still "family"; in any case, if they caught wind of the poisoning story, they would know what Gus is ultimately capable of to gain power and eliminate others who get in the way, including potentially themselves

(Disclosure: BTW if it sounds like ive been drinking when i wrote this, well...i have)

Comments

sonatine: coge

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lol wow View Post
    david thewlis talking about anything puts it in the top 1 percent of ways to spend an hour

this is literally all because you liked the scene where he ate ice cream isnt it.

because you like watching people eat ice cream.

Load Metric
    saul season 3 compared to fargo is like a b- to an a

omg the bingo scenes but neg

Comments

sonatine: oh definitely

Load Metric
    also obv the follow up is yes letter grades have lost some cache since the last time you were allowed anywhere near a school

Load Metric
    It has virtually no humor. Like its a straight drama at this point, and the sheer volume of human misery at bar is genuinely difficult to swallow at this point, it feels legit unbalanced.

IMO the tarpit it got caught in was the relationship with his brother. A for effort but B- for execution; it eclipsed everything else, my cup runneth over.

Also, honestly, I could have used a lot less Nacho and a lot more Mike, especially considering Johnathan Banks is 70 years old and will probably be closer to 72 before the next season airs. It would be best to get while the gettings good there.
    Tine, I don’t want to hurt your feelings. But the truth is, you’ve never mattered all that much to me.

Michael McKean was absolutely amazing. There was a scene with Chuck lying in bed during a tortured and sleepless night. Whether it was gravity's effect on McKean's face or my imagination - he looked 30 years younger. He looked like the guy from Spinal Tap or Laverne & Shirley. Which just made his work more impressive when considering the range

The court scene with Chuck on the stand. Everything broke too perfectly per Kim & Jimmy's plan. Yet McKean's performance was so brilliant that the script's shallowness never mattered. A rare weak moment by the writing crew.

I'm sorry you couldn't find your daily requirement of yucks. The acting is too top. Jonathon Banks, Odenkirk, Mando, etc are stellar. I take great enjoyment from ciphering Vince Gilligan's choices. The sound and cinematic choices are unique and always symbolic and part of the puzzle too.

I haven't been this riveted to every line of dialogue since the psychological thriller Gone Girl.

Is this a kind of psychological thriller too?
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 06-25-2017 at 10:18 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

I haven't been this riveted to every line of dialogue since the psychological thriller Gone Girl.

Add this one to all your calls have been wrong list lol Never heard this before, well maybe Ben telling Matt about it but...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DonaldTrumpsHairPiece View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

Add this one to all your calls have been wrong list lol Never heard this before, well maybe Ben telling Matt about it but...
    I have never read a Gone Girl review and saw it long after its run in the theater. My memory is that every line of dialogue was like well written programming code. Every word uttered was revealing and mattered.

I am not giving the acting or anything else similar high regard. Just sayin

Load Metric
    Officially renewed for season 4...

Load Metric
    Ya

Silver
    Load Metric
    I was under the impression that since Gilligan killed it with Breaking Bad, AMC basically gave him carte blanche on this one and knew it was going to be a story told over 5 seasons.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Avon Barksdale View Post
    I was under the impression that since Gilligan killed it with Breaking Bad, AMC basically gave him carte blanche on this one and knew it was going to be a story told over 5 seasons.

Ahhhhh ok that makes a ton of sense. The x-factor here is that there was a shakeup at AMC recently but I dont recall hearing before that they had an established 5 season arc to work with.

Works for me.

Thread Information