Page 3 of 73 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing Thread

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JoyMillersMeatCurtains View Post
    I've since softened my stance regarding JuanMa's post fight interview. Dude apologized, and regardless of the sincerity - which, if absent, actually speaks to Lopez' desire to win. He looked lousy in this fight, but he never stopped trying to finish Salido - not steal rounds, not eke out a decision, but put Salido on his ass and keep him there. Salido's face, and his quite possibly being saved by the bell after the knockdown, speak to Lopez being effective while practicing a rather rudimentary brand of violence. Lopez has regressed but his mettle hasn't corroded.
    Eh, I don't know.. I don't think it's a "I'm sorry I said it" thing. But more of a "I'm sorry I made such an ass of myself" thing. He realized he stuck his foot in his mouth, and knew he had to try and make it right.

Have class in defeat, and there won't be a need for an apology.

Interviewing fighter's after they've been knocked out - I agree that it's a conversation worth having. I don't know what the procedures to determine the wherewithal of the knocked out fighter are, but it seems odd that they can conduct this examination quickly enough to determine that a fighter can reasonably answer questions about something that gutted him. It's another extreme demand of the sport's participants, but it brings with it an opportunity for even greater dignity in defeat. Tough call, and maybe not one that has ever been answered satisfactorily.

Zoolander = Sergio Martinez

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JMM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SixToedPete View Post
    I miss the days when Marvin Hagler ruled the Middleweight Division.

I love boxing but wtf!? with boxing today!
    It's really not the level of talent that is fucking the sport up these days (except for the heavyweight division). It's the fighters unwillingness to fight anyone, and everyone. Don't get me wrong, fighters have avoided other fighters for a hundred years, but it's to the point now, that's it has become the main focus of the sport.

Mayweather/Pacquiao are the obvious example. They're staring one of the biggest fights in boxing history square in the face, with an opportunity to make more money than anyone thought imaginable, and it's not happening. They're the faces of boxing, yet they are unwilling to help the sport (avoiding each other, catch weights, slapping women, choking guys at the weigh in, etc.). The shit is just bad for boxing.

People are consumed by two things these days.... the Heavyweight division (or lack of), and Mayweather/Pacquiao not fighting. So blinded by those two things, that they don't care to see the fucking boat loads on talent throughout the sport.

It's probably never going to get back to it's glory days, but I'll always love the sport no matter what. And I still catch myself saying "man, fuck boxing", probably once a month.

And as much as I hate to say it, the sport will be better off when Bob Arum is no longer a part of it. His in house fights, so he can keep all the money... also not helping. If boxing were ran more like UFC, where guys have two choices, fight, or no pay, then it would be better. But that's never going to happen.
    Fair analysis of the boxing scene today. However I don't want boxing to be run like the UFC monopoly. I like the fact that uber talented superstars like PBF, Pac Man and Oscar DLH rightly made the lion share of profits.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Can Mayweather really turn down 70 – 30 split offer from Manny?

"...Pacquiao by offering a 70 – 30 split with 70% going to the winner, demonstrated how serious he is about getting Floyd into the ring before he retires. The 70 – 30 split also shows how confident “Pacman” is of defeating Floyd."

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2012/03/...er-from-manny/

Load Metric
    Sad day for the boxing community. Bert Sugar passed away today. May he rest in peace.
    Last edited by JMM; 03-25-2012 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Ninja edit.

Load Metric
    Sad day for the boxing community. Bert Sugar passed away today. May he rest in peace.
    I had the pleasure of hearing Bert Sugar speak at a conference for aspiring sports writers in college. He told us a classic story about a night out at Caesars Palace with the late great Jim Murray.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Very sad.

Here are some answers Bert gave for an ESPN feature 'Chat With Bert Sugar' a few years ago:

Joe (Bellevue, WA)

Hi Bert, What is your favorite fight that has taken place in the last 30-35 years and why?
    Bert Sugar
    (4:22 PM)

Well, the greatest fight was Marvelous Marvin Hagler and Tommy Hearns. Period. More was at stake. Greater fighters with more to gain and lose and greater result than any fight in that time. Of course, there are many great fights in history and many recent, including, Corales-Castillo. If pushed, and I'm old enough to have "seen" fights on the radio, where you had to imagine fights. I "saw" some wonderful fights like Louis-Conn. But in the last 25-30 years, it's Hagler-Hearns. (And maybe, right after that, Foreman-Lyle, where everybody went down except the referee.)

Frank (Chicago, IL)

Bert as a historian can you tell Floyd that just because he's undefeated that doesn't make him the greatest. You got to fight the best even if it means you lose a few. Great fighters don't duck fighters like he does.
    Bert Sugar
    (4:25 PM)

Good for you, you've been listening. I've tried to tell Floyd. Although I've known Floyd since he was 9 (my wife is from Grand Rapids), Floyd has his own way of interpreting things. While I encourage him to have the confidence of a great, everything you said is correct. He will tell me that he is the greatest because he has no losses and Robinson had one loss in his 123 fights. 123 fights! That was a loss to LaMotta, whom he beat in a return fight three WEEKS later. I will continue to support Floyd in his belief for himself, but not for me. Still, he's one helluva fighter. We'll see just how great July 18 against Marquez.

ESPN's 'Chat With Bert Sugar'

Note: Although Sugar Ray Robinson's final record was 175-19-6 (109 KOs), in 1951 (shortly before he first retired in 1952) his record was an astonishing 128-1-2 (84 KOs)!
    Last edited by SixToedPete; 03-25-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Load Metric
    Jesus...Peterson fails a drug test, cancelling the Khan rematch. Now Berto fails a drug test, cancelling the Ortiz rematch (which I was really looking forward to).

Funny how the two guys who requested random blood testing, were the two to fail it. And Berto was all over twitter after the fight, accusing Ortiz of doping.

This definitely is proving that the current testing is seriously flawed, and that random blood testing is the way to go, though.

*waiting for "-1 dix" on the other site for "posting the same thing on two sites"*

Load Metric
    pride of the Fillmoe Karim "Hardhittah" Mayfield with the knockout tonight!!

Load Metric
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/19847940

Puerto Rican featherweight Orlando Cruz has become the first active boxer to publicly reveal he is gay. Cruz, 31, competed in the 2000 Olympic Games and is on the verge of a world title fight with the WBO. "I've been fighting for more than 24 years and as I continue my career, I want to be true to myself," said Cruz, who has won 18 of his 22 contests. "I have and will always be a proud Puerto Rican. I have always been and always will be a proud gay man." The revelation comes two weeks before Cruz takes on Jorge Pazos for the WBO Latino featherweight crown in Florida, a bout that could propel him towards a world title fight.

Cruz has had two victories since being stopped by Cornelius Lock - his first professional defeat - and knocked out by former world champion Daniel Ponce de Leon in successive bouts. Cruz added: "I want to try to be the best role model I can be for kids who might look into boxing as a sport and a professional career." Former two-weight world champion Emile Griffith came out as bisexual in an interview with Sports Illustrated magazine, but his admission came after he had retired. In Britain, only Surrey cricketer Steven Davies, footballer Justin Fashanu, who took his own life in 1998, and dual-code rugby international Gareth Thomas have come out during their careers. In 2007, British basketball star John Amaechi became the first NBA player to publicly announce he was gay, but he had retired three years previously.

Load Metric
    That is an extremely admirable and impressive thing that Cruz is doing. Guy's got guts.

Load Metric
    time to call it a day for good Ricky

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by rickastley View Post

Hated to see Hatton go out like that, but I had a feeling this comeback wasn't going to be good.

I had a bet on Senchenko +300 (posted on twitter, for doubters). Just didn't like the lifestyle + layoff for Hatton. Also bet the over 8.5 rounds. Missed it by like, a minute and a half.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by rickastley View Post

Hated to see Hatton go out like that, but I had a feeling this comeback wasn't going to be good.

I had a bet on Senchenko +300 (posted on twitter, for doubters). Just didn't like the lifestyle + layoff for Hatton. Also bet the over 8.5 rounds. Missed it by like, a minute and a half.
    I agree.

I've always liked Hatton even though I felt the judges gave him too many rounds in his decision win over the great Kostya Tszyu. It was at the end of Kostya Tszyu's career but I honestly felt he beat Hatton that night. Anyway, that fight was a sign of things to come for Ricky.

He had a great career, a great record. No one could beat him except HOF greats Pacquiao and Mayweather although to be fair, Ricky fought a shit load of UK Palookas.

Hatton enjoyed the blow, the wine and too many pints of Guinness when he was not training.

Anyone think he deserves to be inducted into the Boxing Hall of Fame?

I'm interested in your opinions.

Name:  Ricky_Hatton_blow.jpg
Views: 1470
Size:  43.5 KB

Load Metric
    Possible fight of the year with Berto/Guerrero tonight. Gained a lot of respect for both fighters, just incredible heart. Guerroro's chin is as good if not better than Margarito's. Only difference is he actually has some decent power too.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas1369 View Post
    Possible fight of the year with Berto/Guerrero tonight. Gained a lot of respect for both fighters, just incredible heart. Guerroro's chin is as good if not better than Margarito's. Only difference is he actually has some decent power too.
    PAY ATTENTION!

Ricky Hatton....Boxing HOF.

Yes or no?

Load Metric
    Hatton will probably get there on popularity alone.

Load Metric

Thread Information