Page 23 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing Thread

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post
    What are the odds that Mayweather never fights Pacquiao?
    Like JMM has said many times, I think it's probably more Arum than anything. I really don't like saying it, but Floyd would most likely just frustrate the shit out of Pac. Pac is Arums cash cow, still more fights to be had before the showdown. They'll probably fight each other when they're closer to 40, if ever.

Load Metric
    Pretty good fights. Hand speed is still there, but the movement and angles weren't what we're used to seeing from Pacquiao. I really hope they don't force a third fight. There's not point. Pacquiao should have won the first, and clearly won the second. I'd like to see him hang it up soon. If they can't secure Mayweather for his next fight, he needs to just ride off into the sunset. That right hand Bradley caught him with in the 4th round really shook him up. If a guy like Provodnikov lands something similar, he'll be out cold again.

Arum might actually try to pursue a Mayweather fight, as I'm sure he senses that they're coming to the end of the road with Pacquiao, and it's time to cash out.

I'm pretty interested in the Mayweather/Maidana fight. If nothing else, Mayweather is going to have to work, because Maidana will fucking bring it for 12 full rounds.

Comments

El Gallo: Canelo was also supposed to bring it for 12 rounds

Load Metric
    for everyone who wants Manny to pack up and retire, remember this: dude's broke. Most of his money is spent before he ever even sniffs his fight purse. He can't retire, not with his lifestyle.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    for everyone who wants Manny to pack up and retire, remember this: dude's broke. Most of his money is spent before he ever even sniffs his fight purse. He can't retire, not with his lifestyle.
    He can make $50 million with Mayweather. They've all gotta pull their heads out of their asses, though.

Load Metric

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    LOL at the judge who had Beibut Shumenov winning against Bernard Hopkins. That judge needs to gtfo of boxing.

Load Metric
    El Gallo, Canelo isn't a pressure fighter, contrary to what people think. He's a boxer/puncher. Much more tactical than Maidana. Maidana has one style, fucking bang. He'll throw punches, even if it looks like he's stuck in the mud while doing so. He's gonna lose, but he will apply pressure.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    LOL at the judge who had Beibut Shumenov winning against Bernard Hopkins. That judge needs to gtfo of boxing.
    That judge should be shit canned. No way in hell to score that fight for Shumenov.

Banned
    Load Metric

What happened to him making life changes?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lewfather View Post
    I heard that he has to fight one or two more times just to pay off his outstanding taxes.

And LOL at the best 175 lb fighter in the world being 49 years old. Is there *any* new blood coming into boxing?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lewfather View Post

I heard that he has to fight one or two more times just to pay off his outstanding taxes.

And LOL at the best 175 lb fighter in the world being 49 years old. Is there *any* new blood coming into boxing?
    You say that like he's some shit fighter or something.

LOL @ you having no idea just how good that 49 year old is.

Comments

BeerAndPoker: This! Even at 49 Hopkins makes everyone fight his style and he sends just about all his competitors down with a decision defeat.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JMM View Post

Hopkins was very good a long time ago. Why is it that in every other sport the 28 year olds outperform the 49 year olds? How many legitimately famous fighters are under 30?

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Cuz boxing is a joke, Barry. The last legit scrap ive seen in the ring was you vs micon.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JMM View Post

Hopkins was very good a long time ago. Why is it that in every other sport the 28 year olds outperform the 49 year olds? How many legitimately famous fighters are under 30?
    You act like there's 49 year olds all over boxing running over the younger guys.

Hopkins is a once in a lifetime type of fighter. He's in better shape than most guys half his age. You're acting like 'everyone else must suck' when the reality is that Hopkins is just that good, but you can't give him credit, because god forbid you do something other than hate.

I'm sure you weren't saying shit when it was Randy Cotoure.

Load Metric
    I always thought Pernell Whitaker would be a Bernard Hopkins type. Have a long career, fight well into his 40's. Cocaine is a hell of a drug. Guy destroyed Chavez bad and got a draw.

Load Metric
    Mayweather by decision is down to -167 on 5dimes.

Load Metric
    http://www.lasvegassun.com/vegasdelu...ings-richest-/

Wow, Mayweather is worth half a billion dollars?

He owns 88 cars, spent millions on luxury handbags for his former girlfriend.

He hopes he won't go broke in the future, but if you make $500 million, spend $400 million, and don't pay taxes, how much money do you have left?

Mayweather's legacy is also in jeopardy, because he's been ducking fighting the best fighters for years.

Mayweather was an 11 to 1 favorite against Maidana.

Mayweather vs Maidana will be a fucking joke, unless Mayweather decides to fight blindfolded and use only one hand.

Load Metric
    Looks like Pacquiao is about to sign an extension with Arum. Say goodbye to what little hope we had of actually seeing that fight.

I'm worried that Collazo is gonna ice Khan, and they're gonna put him in there with Mayweather in September. That would be awful.

I'd love to see Lara/Mayweather, after Lara beats Canelo. It'd be a snoozer for the casual fan, but I'd love it.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I think Barry's criticism is actually valid to an extent, and JMM is reacting more towards some kind of history between himself and Barry than the comment itself. For whatever reason, I think it is safe to say that genetically great athletes above a certain weight (especially in the US) that may have once gravitated towards boxing in past generations are gravitating more towards team sports such as baseball and football. I don't think it is a coincidence that middleweight is the weight where we see a 49 year old boxer dominating his weight class, as this is probably around the cutoff where you are big enough to compete in baseball/football/basketball/etc.. You can pretty much say the same thing with the Klitchko's dominating the heavyweight division. Heck, it is not too big a stretch to imagine an almost 50 year old Lennox Lewis still being on top if he had decided to keep fighting like Hopkins.

Anwyays, I think it is ok to postulate that boxing is severely watered down in the bigger weight divisions, which is why you can tell the talent pool and quality of boxing is so much higher in smaller weight classes.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Also, I thought it kind of funny Mayweather announced he was interested in buying the Clippers. I am sure the NBA is very interested in having an avid open sports bettor owning one of their franchises.

Thread Information