Page 17 of 73 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing Thread

Load Metric
    Ridiculous power from Kovalev.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JMM View Post
    Damn!

First KO punch landed in a funny spot, on the back left of his head. As perfect a short right as it was, I think it was one of those that caused more damage from the angle it snapped his head back, and then the whiplash when he fell. The second KO though...lol. That was just vicious.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas1369 View Post
    Damn!

First KO punch landed in a funny spot, on the back left of his head. As perfect a short right as it was, I think it was one of those that caused more damage from the angle it snapped his head back, and then the whiplash when he fell. The second KO though...lol. That was just vicious.
    Sillakh probably shouldn't have even been allowed to finish. When the ref signaled for the fight to continue, Sillakh was still staring at the referee. Not even looking in Kovalev's direction.

We have to get Kovalev/Stevenson now. I guess the only real question is, how well can Kovalev deal with power from a southpaw stance? If the answer is even "pretty good" he'll put Stevenson to sleep.

Load Metric
    Stevenson will not be able to hang with Kovalev. But who will be? Maybe the two best fights that could be made in the sport now are Ward-Golovkin and Ward-Kovalev. Those are the only two guys on earth who might be able to beat Andre Ward.

Load Metric
    In other news, Paul Spadafora finally lost a fight. Mostly because he fought a real opponent for the first time in forever, but still.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by HEX View Post
    In other news, Paul Spadafora finally lost a fight. Mostly because he fought a real opponent for the first time in forever, but still.
    Yeah I read where Spadafora lost a decision. Haven't seen video of the fight yet.

Load Metric
    Big weekend.

I've got some not so popular opinions on a few of the fights.

I like Lara +105. I know Trout is gonna run a bit, and he'll probably be more active, but I think you need an effective jab to disrupt Lara. Trout's jab isn't particularly accurate or effective. I believe that Lara will have success countering Trout. Lara also has surprisingly long reach considering his height. He won't have to work his way inside in order to touch Trout. I've touted Lara for a long time, maybe he won't make me look bad.

I've also got Paulie Malignaggi +155. If he fights similar to the Broner fight, I think he wins a decision. People are talking about Zab like he's some devastating puncher that can knock Paulie out. I'm not sure where this is coming from. He's got that uppercut, and not much else. And Paulie's chin is solid. Barring something strange, this should go the distance. I think Malignaggi's work rate wins it for him. Epic post fight interview if Paulie is robbed in Brooklyn.

I like Felix Sturm +105 over Darren Barker. I like Barker. Seems like a nice guy. Good fighter. But if Sturm is on his game (questionable) and doesn't clam up like he tends to do (also questionable) he's simply the better fighter. I feel like it's do or die now for Sturm. He needs this one. It's also in Germany, which doesn't mean what it once meant, but it still favors Sturm.

I have Guillermo Rigondeaux by decision -160 over Joseph Agbeko. Treading lightly here, because Rigondeaux could be looking to impress, with all the talk of HBO not wanting to put him on TV because of his style of fighting. Even so, Agbeko is tough as fuck. It won't be easy to get him out of there.

I also have Devon Alexander by decision -164 over Shawn Porter. I'll happily lose this one, if it means that Porter gets a shot at bigger things, while disrupting a possible Mayweather/Alexander fight in the future. I do believe that Alexander is a small step above Porter, though.

Still waiting around on the Anthony Dirrell/Sakio Bika line. Anything close and I'll play Dirrell. Anything wide and it's Bika or nothing. Dirrell should win it, but Bika's live for sure. If Dirrell can blast him out, I'll be seriously impressed.

Glen Tapia vs. James Kirkland is on the undercard of the Rigondeaux fight, I think. It's only a 10 rounder. Hoping to get a line on it. I'll be playing Tapia most likely. I think he's got the tools to beat Kirkland. He isn't going to punch himself out in the first round, and spend the rest of the fight standing flat footed in front of Kirkland until he gets stopped, the way Angulo did. This is a tough fight from a layoff for Kirkland.

Load Metric
    In other, other news, Simpiwe Vetyeka stopped Chris John (who sat at 48-0-3) in the 6th round, after knocking him down multiple times (that were all ruled "slips").

Load Metric
    In other, other news, Simpiwe Vetyeka stopped Chris John (who sat at 48-0-3) in the 6th round, after knocking him down multiple times (that were all ruled "slips").
    What? Are you fucking serious? Holy fuck! That's a WAY bigger shocker than Spadafora, as you well know. That bums me out - Chris John deserved better than to lose his "0" to some random scrub.

Load Metric
    OK, so I like Trout over Lara for whatever reason, style matchup blah blah - that's my best guess on a coin flip.

I like Malignaggi to win v. Judah, so obv at +150 or whatever he's the way to go.

I'm picking Porter in the upset over Alexander, partly just because I like Shawn Porter, but also because I believe he might be about to overachieve.

I like Dirrell over the going-to-lose-his-title-soon-one-way-or-the-other Sakio Bika.

Obv Rigo wins easy v. King Kong.

Like Tapia over the aggravatingly stupid James Kirkland.

Rooting for Barker over Sturm, just because I'm sick of Sturm.

Load Metric

What? Are you fucking serious? Holy fuck! That's a WAY bigger shocker than Spadafora, as you well know. That bums me out - Chris John deserved better than to lose his "0" to some random scrub.
    Yeah, it spoiled the plans for a Donaire fight, too. This Vetyeka guy has beaten the 2 top Indonesian fighters in his past 2 fights.

Load Metric

Yeah, it spoiled the plans for a Donaire fight, too. This Vetyeka guy has beaten the 2 top Indonesian fighters in his past 2 fights.
    Donaire? He was never gonna fight Donaire. His plan was to get to 50-0 against stiffs and then retire.

Load Metric

Donaire? He was never gonna fight Donaire. His plan was to get to 50-0 against stiffs and then retire.
    Yeah, you're probably right. The idea was out there, though, lol.

Load Metric
    I'm super psyched about tonight. I'm excited about every SHO fight. What a card.

Load Metric
    I'm super psyched about tonight. I'm excited about every SHO fight. What a card.
    Can you believe that fucking card? We're getting 4 fights that could headline on their own, on the same card.

HBO has a pretty good one, too. Kirkland/Tapia and Rigo/Agbeko.

Load Metric
    Can you believe that fucking card? We're getting 4 fights that could headline on their own, on the same card.

HBO has a pretty good one, too. Kirkland/Tapia and Rigo/Agbeko.
    I can't get excited about the Rigo fight because Agbeko has almost no chance, but Tapia-Kirkland is guaranteed to be a thriller.

Load Metric
    Sturm stopped Barker in the 2nd round.

Load Metric
    Props to Shawn Porter. Glad he got that upset win.

Fucking Tapia. Couldn't handle Kirkland's power. Meh.

Good call on that Porter upset Hex.

Got the Rigo, Sturm, Paulie, and Lara fights.

Load Metric
    First of all, I love to watch Rigondeaux fight. I don't understand why he gets so much shit for being so good. I don't think watching someone fight that skillfully is boring at all. Agbeko was no competition, but it was yet another fantastic performance. If more people understood the sport, he'd be a star. I can't believe Arum wants to throw Lomachenko in with that guy in like his third fight. It's hard to picture anybody having more than a puncher's chance against Rigo.

James Kirkland is an amazing offensive fighter. No defense of any kind, obv, but not many guys I've ever seen can pound away like that. He essentially ended Tapia's career. Kirkland's gonna get a big fight against somebody now, that's for sure. Also, I wish I could go with Ann Wolfe to bars and have her beat the fucking shit out of dudes who think they're tough.

Zab looks like a shot fighter, and Paulie is still very impressive. Guy is in tip-top condition, that's for sure. There are so many good fights that can be made at welterweight, and I think Paulie has a good shot against almost everyone in the division. He kept himself extremely viable with that performance, that's for sure.

I called the Porter upset of Alexander, but I thought his win had more to do with Alexander's inability to make adjustments than anything else. I like Porter a lot, but I'm not sure how long he keeps the title in such a deep division.

Lara is a nightmare for anyone, and he clearly won the fight, but I didn't think he was nearly as dominant as everyone else seemed to. I thought most rounds were close and that neither guy was landing many clean shots. Trout is still one of the best in the division, but when you fight Canelo and Lara back-to-back you take your chances. Supposedly Canelo might fight Lara, but that's hard for me to imagine. If Canelo can win that fight, I take my hat off to him.

Dirrell got robbed imo. Especially with the knockdown, he clearly won the fight. Bika is so fuckin dirty. Dirrell deserves a rematch. He should be champ already. Bika won't hold that title long, rematch or no.

Load Metric
    First of all, I love to watch Rigondeaux fight. I don't understand why he gets so much shit for being so good. I don't think watching someone fight that skillfully is boring at all. Agbeko was no competition, but it was yet another fantastic performance. If more people understood the sport, he'd be a star. I can't believe Arum wants to throw Lomachenko in with that guy in like his third fight. It's hard to picture anybody having more than a puncher's chance against Rigo.

James Kirkland is an amazing offensive fighter. No defense of any kind, obv, but not many guys I've ever seen can pound away like that. He essentially ended Tapia's career. Kirkland's gonna get a big fight against somebody now, that's for sure. Also, I wish I could go with Ann Wolfe to bars and have her beat the fucking shit out of dudes who think they're tough.

Zab looks like a shot fighter, and Paulie is still very impressive. Guy is in tip-top condition, that's for sure. There are so many good fights that can be made at welterweight, and I think Paulie has a good shot against almost everyone in the division. He kept himself extremely viable with that performance, that's for sure.

I called the Porter upset of Alexander, but I thought his win had more to do with Alexander's inability to make adjustments than anything else. I like Porter a lot, but I'm not sure how long he keeps the title in such a deep division.

Lara is a nightmare for anyone, and he clearly won the fight, but I didn't think he was nearly as dominant as everyone else seemed to. I thought most rounds were close and that neither guy was landing many clean shots. Trout is still one of the best in the division, but when you fight Canelo and Lara back-to-back you take your chances. Supposedly Canelo might fight Lara, but that's hard for me to imagine. If Canelo can win that fight, I take my hat off to him.

Dirrell got robbed imo. Especially with the knockdown, he clearly won the fight. Bika is so fuckin dirty. Dirrell deserves a rematch. He should be champ already. Bika won't hold that title long, rematch or no.
    Right there with you on Rigondeaux. I love watching him fight. Barring just getting caught with something huge, he's not losing. He'd wreck Lomanchenko. I don't think it's a certainty that he even beats Salido.

They had to rush Tapia to the hospital after the fight. Hopefully he makes a fast recovery. Corner men have got to do a better job of stopping these fights. Tapia was slumped in the corner, head down, eyes shut. He should have been saved.

Man, just imagine if Paulie could punch. He'll be competitive with most guys at 147.

I thought Lara won the fight clearly. Trout just wasn't landing much, and very little of what he was landing, was landing cleanly. I thought Lara looked much faster, much more accurate, and his foot placement was incredible. He knew exactly how to fight as a southpaw, against a southpaw.

Happy for Porter. I had a 9 fight parlay that went back through last month, that depended solely on Alexander beating Porter. Paid 27/1. I was counting my money. Ugh. Kind of mad at myself for missing that opportunity. I should have dug into it more. Porter was the bigger man, stronger, and I completely didn't think about the fact that he is capable of roughing Alexander up the way Bradley did. All the signs were there, I just missed it.

I didn't think Dirrell was robbed. He might have edged the fight, though. With the KD and the point deduction, hard to score it for Bika. Bika didn't sound like he was in any hurry to give a rematch. He's a dirty, dirty fighter. He's tough as shit, though.

Thread Information