Page 14 of 73 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing Thread

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by HEX View Post
    Fury and Wilder have one thing in common - they can't take a punch. Therefore their careers are virtually guaranteed to be major disappointments. Fury is shit anyway, though - Wilder might be a good fighter if he had a chin. But since he doesn't, he will be going the Seth Mitchell route soon enough. The lack of chin also explains, at least partly, why he's been matched only against cans.
    Yep. And for a guy with a below average chin, he also has very little upper body movement. He's a KO waiting to happen. I think they can match him up wisely, get him a couple of notable wins and cash him out against Wladimir.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Anthony Joshua can offer the heavyweight division. Skill appears to be there.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JMM View Post
    Fury and Wilder have one thing in common - they can't take a punch. Therefore their careers are virtually guaranteed to be major disappointments. Fury is shit anyway, though - Wilder might be a good fighter if he had a chin. But since he doesn't, he will be going the Seth Mitchell route soon enough. The lack of chin also explains, at least partly, why he's been matched only against cans.
    Yep. And for a guy with a below average chin, he also has very little upper body movement. He's a KO waiting to happen. I think they can match him up wisely, get him a couple of notable wins and cash him out against Wladimir.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Anthony Joshua can offer the heavyweight division. Skill appears to be there.
    Yes, they will get Wilder to Wladimir unbeaten and then he will get crushed like everyone else. Maybe even next year in the States.

Anthony Joshua might be the best hope for the future of the division, though obv it's way too early to know.

Load Metric
    Sorry it turned out that Kell Brook was too good to let Senchenko go the distance, JMM. I tell ya, if Devon Alexander can beat Shawn Porter and then Brook, he will have well and truly earned a big fight - at least a rematch with Tim Bradley.

Load Metric
    Sorry it turned out that Kell Brook was too good to let Senchenko go the distance, JMM. I tell ya, if Devon Alexander can beat Shawn Porter and then Brook, he will have well and truly earned a big fight - at least a rematch with Tim Bradley.
    Yeah, it wasn't even close. It's funny because I was back and forth on Brook by decision, and Abraham by decision. I ended up passing on AA, and whatta ya know, it sails to a decision at like +270. I just didn't know enough about his opponent to pull the trigger.

I think Alexander's hand speed is going to be a big issue for Porter. I don't expect a ton of excitement, but I think Alexander wins a comfortable decision.

Originally, I thought that Kell Brook would beat Alexander, but the more I watch Brook, the more I like Alexander, lol.

Load Metric
    Sweet! No PPV for Broner/Maidana...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/broner-...0328--box.html

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas1369 View Post
    Sweet! No PPV for Broner/Maidana...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/broner-...0328--box.html
    Yes sir. Though not in terms of star power, but just in the matches, the card was probably ppv worthy. That a damn good card from top to bottom. I'm just glad it's going to be a while longer before we're force fed Broner as a PPV star. Man, I hope Chino plants him. I highly doubt it, though.

Thurman probably KO's JSK. Ortiz might fuck around and find himself in another dog fight with Gomez. Winnable fight for Gomez.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Broner's rap career going to be huge obv...

He will never stop clowning.

Load Metric
    About Billions.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I watched the Broner/Paulie fight, and was very unimpressed. I don't know if he had a bad night or it was a bad stylistic matchup or he was too much out of his weight class or what, but from what I remember he would just stand still in a defensive stance, eat a whole bunch of punches while talking trash and making faces and shaking his head, and then counter with a power shot/combo every once in a while. I remember the announcers were waiting for his power to hurt Paulie and it never really did, and you could legitimately argue Paulie won the fight cause he was so much more active.

Is he really that good and had an off night, or I am missing something?

Load Metric
    Double post.

Load Metric
    Mother fucking triple post.
    Last edited by JMM; 10-28-2013 at 03:26 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    I watched the Broner/Paulie fight, and was very unimpressed. I don't know if he had a bad night or it was a bad stylistic matchup or he was too much out of his weight class or what, but from what I remember he would just stand still in a defensive stance, eat a whole bunch of punches while talking trash and making faces and shaking his head, and then counter with a power shot/combo every once in a while. I remember the announcers were waiting for his power to hurt Paulie and it never really did, and you could legitimately argue Paulie won the fight cause he was so much more active.

Is he really that good and had an off night, or I am missing something?
    He's better than he showed in that fight. Paulie has pretty good movement, and a really good jab. Those two things, with a pretty good level of activity made that fight pretty competitive for the most part. Broner definitely landed the more telling shots, though.

As for Broner's lack of movement, I think that had a lot to do with the fact that he really didn't have anything to be afraid of. You can pretty much stand in front of Paulie, without fear of getting hurt. If Paulie were a stronger puncher, Broner would have moved more. He didn't really hurt Paulie, but there's no real shame in that. Malignaggi has a damn good chin on him.

I guess to answer the question, I don't think really think it was an off night for Broner. I think Paulie had a good gameplan and executed it well for the most part. I also don't think, at this point, that Broner is world class. I think he will be one day. I hope he takes a loss soon, and that it humbles him, and he comes back hungry. Right now he just wants to be Floyd.

He'll have to up his work rate if he's going to keep stepping his competition up. He thinks he can beat these guys throwing single shots.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    My favorite fighter Max Baer.

Primo Carnera vs Max Baer.

Load Metric
    Sounds like a fun read.

http://deadspin.com/dont-turn-your-b...yso-1458780510

Don King was offering me a $20 million settlement in exchange for him getting to promote my fights again. I told Jackie Rowe that before we could talk about working together and settling, I wanted three things of mine that Don still had—a green Rolls-Royce, a painting that the Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi had given me that was supposed to be worth a lot, and the thing I was worried the most about: a drawing of me in the middle of a bunch of X-Men that Stan Lee had done.

Don called Jackie and told her that he would fly us down to Florida and put us up so we could work out a settlement. Jackie, her son, my girlfriend Luz, and I got on Don’s private jet and flew down. I packed a big block of coke and a duffel bag with a half-pound of reefer. I was doing my coke and smoking my blunts and listening to my Walkman and I was higher than the plane was when an epiphany hit me.

“This is my motherfucking plane. I paid for this plane. And this motherfucker is acting like he’s doing me a favor sending me down on my own fucking plane. This nigga is playing me.”

The drugs were playing with my head and I was freaking out and getting jealous.

Don picked us up at the private airport in his Rolls and he had Isadore Bolton, who used to be my chauffeur before he stole him from me, driving some of Don’s associates in the lead car. We were driving down to Miami from Fort Lauderdale on the I-95. Don said some innocuous thing, and all that jealousy and rage spilled out of me and I kicked him in his fucking head. Boom! You don’t turn your back on a jealous cokehead.

Don swerved off onto the side median and I started choking him from the backseat. I got out of the car to get into the front seat and kick his ass some more, but Don took off down the median.

Now I was on the side of the fucking highway by myself. Don drove a little bit down the road and then let Jackie and her son and Luz out of the car. They came up to me carrying my bag with the half-pound of reefer. I had the coke stash on me.

“Why did you let him go, Jackie?” I screamed. “Now we’re out here on the fucking highway.”

All of a sudden, Isadore pulled up. He was there to pick us up because he lost our car and when he called Don, Don told him to turn around and get us.

He pulled up alongside me and rolled his window down and told me to get in the car.

“Fuck you, motherfucker,” I screamed.

Isadore got out of his driver’s door and I was right on him. I punched him in the face twice, shattering his left orbital bone. The force of the blows knocked him across the driver’s seat and I reached in and grabbed his leg and bit it. Isadore managed to kick me off him and close his door, so I punched the outer panel of his door and bent the steel. I was about to break his window when he managed to drive away.

His shoes were still on the side of the road and he was driving barefoot.

Then the cops came. They were talking to us and I had the half brick of coke and Luz was holding the duffel bag with the half-pound of weed. These cops were so excited to see me that the motherfuckers didn’t even ask me what we were doing on the side of the highway. They’d have put anybody else’s ass on that grass, and they’d be locked up for life for having all that coke. I’m an extremist. Why couldn’t I just buy an eight ball? No, I had to have a half a brick. The guys who sold it to me said, “Mike, this is sales weight. Police are not going to hear that you’re getting high with a half a brick of blow.” And I had this as my personal stash.

The cops offered to drive us to our destination. Jackie talked Don into giving us some money, and he sent a guy over with a couple hundred grand.

We partied every night for a month and then a friend of mine came by with his tour bus and we picked up a couple of girls and drove all around the east coast.

In June, I was visiting my childhood friend Dave Malone and we were flying our pigeons in Brownsville. That night Dave drove me back to the Marriott Hotel where I was staying. Outside the hotel, two guys who were returning to their rooms and they were pretty drunk and came up to me and asked me for an autograph. I was high on cocaine. Let me tell you something about me. When I was getting high and it was nighttime or early in the morning, I was not a good person to meet. I was just nasty, looking for trouble. I could have these Herculean fucking mood swings, almost Jekyll and Hyde shit.

So these two Puerto Rican guys approached me and asked me for my autograph. I told them to fuck off.

“You ain’t all that, anyway,” one of them said. “We got guns and you only got your fists.”

If I wasn’t on coke probably nothing would have happened. But I was, so I chased them into the lobby and up the escalator. We got to the top of the escalator and I knocked one of them out with one punch. The other guy was hiding behind the front desk and I pulled him out and hit him. He was spared when hotel security came.

Comments

Hockey Guy: Great read.

Load Metric

2, 1, 4, 3

Banned
    Load Metric

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lewfather View Post

Load Metric
    If Pacquiao is even at 50%, he beats Rios within an inch of his life. This is my write-up from another site.

Manny Pacquiao by any KO or UD -245 for 1u.

I think the "Pacquiao mindset" argument isn't really valid. Yes, he got knocked out, but he can hang his hat on the fact that he was pretty clearly winning the fight until he got caught with the perfect shot. It's not like he was getting beat down, then got brutally knocked out.

The one thing regarding Rios' chance to win that I can say, is that it's easier to break a rock once it's been cracked. I struggle to think of a time where a fighter that was brutally KO'd has bounced back in his very next fight to look sensational. Maybe if Rios can land something big, he can get Pacquiao out. However, it's not like Rios is some devastating puncher. He breaks you down with constant pressure, and relentlessness. Not 1 punch KO power. And he's obviously no Marquez on the counter punching tip. He can try and pressure Pacquiao, but Manny doesn't really gas. And the hand/foot speed is going to be such a significant difference that Rios will likely look like he's stuck in the mud for the most part.

Rios can take a lot of punishment, and Pacquiao's power is pretty overrated. He's more of a "break you down with angles, speed, and accumulation" type of guy. He's also taken to fighting in spurts at times, and he at least has to be a little bit wary of his potential chin issue. I initially liked the over 9.5 rounds. I still do to an extent. Then I flipped back and forth on the Pacquiao by any decision prop. But I've decided to play it a bit safe and go with the "Pacquiao by KO or UD" prop -245. It covers any KO or DQ, and unanimous decision. I figure if Pacquiao can still take a decent punch, there's little chance of a Rios victory. And if Rios sees the final bell, the cards should show Pacquiao in a route. Then, of course, basically any Pacquiao stoppage that's NOT a TD. A lot of outcomes are covered here. And all of the outcomes that I believe are most likely.

I think George Groves is a very live underdog tomorrow against Carl Froch. He's around +360 currently, and might be worth a stab here. But I haven't pulled the trigger, and may not. 2 of the 3 times I've bet against Froch (Taylor, Kessler 1, Dirrell) he's made me pay. And I think this may be too much too soon for Groves.

I also have a 1u bet on Luke Blackledge +260 over Rocky Fielding. Tread lightly here, as Blackledge is taking this fight on super short notice. He flat brings it, though, and should make a hell of a fight out of this.

Also 1u on Yoan Pablo Hernandez -290 over Alexander Alekseev

Load Metric

Ariza is scum. The last time these fucks made fun of Roach's Parkinson's, Antonio Margarito got a broken orbital bone.

Thread Information