Page 13 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing Thread

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Saw the Bradley/JMM main event. Was pretty meh. It was doubly disappointing because they showed the 4th Pacquio/JMM fight a couple days earlier on HBO (or maybe Showtime, I have both and don't remember which one), so after seeing such a great fight, it was disappointing seeing such an awkward one with one of the same fighters. Bradley's fighting style definitely took JMM out of his game. Towards the end it seemed like JMM was loading up pretty good and actually getting some good swings in, but they didn't appear to be affecting Bradley too much (unlike Pacquio fight where you could definitely tell his punches were being felt, even before the KO), so Bradley must have been doing a good job nullifying the power with his defense.

I don't know if this win makes Bradley marketable enough for Mayweather down the line. If that fight happens would definitely be a boring one-sided fight, so would take a lot of marketing on Mayweather's end to make it work.

I also heard Mayweather wants to fight Khan next. From what I understand Mayweather actually has decent power, but he tends not to punch hard because he doesn't want to hurt his hand. But Khan's defense is bad enough and chin weak enough probably good chance Mayweather will let his hands fly and get a rare knockout from this one. I could also possibly see Khan winning round 1 as he moves and peppers with his quick jab, but as soon as Mayweather finishes sizing him up and starts attacking it is over.

Also, I was watching First Take a couple days ago and they were talking about who would give Money the most competitive fight, and Skip mentioned Golotkin (sp?) could probably make 154 and that would be a competitive fight, and I remembered JMM had said the same thing. Of course, I don't know how much JMM appreciates being compared to Skip Bayless as a boxing commentator.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Saw the Bradley/JMM main event. Was pretty meh. It was doubly disappointing because they showed the 4th Pacquio/JMM fight a couple days earlier on HBO (or maybe Showtime, I have both and don't remember which one), so after seeing such a great fight, it was disappointing seeing such an awkward one with one of the same fighters. Bradley's fighting style definitely took JMM out of his game. Towards the end it seemed like JMM was loading up pretty good and actually getting some good swings in, but they didn't appear to be affecting Bradley too much (unlike Pacquio fight where you could definitely tell his punches were being felt, even before the KO), so Bradley must have been doing a good job nullifying the power with his defense.

I don't know if this win makes Bradley marketable enough for Mayweather down the line. If that fight happens would definitely be a boring one-sided fight, so would take a lot of marketing on Mayweather's end to make it work.

I also heard Mayweather wants to fight Khan next. From what I understand Mayweather actually has decent power, but he tends not to punch hard because he doesn't want to hurt his hand. But Khan's defense is bad enough and chin weak enough probably good chance Mayweather will let his hands fly and get a rare knockout from this one. I could also possibly see Khan winning round 1 as he moves and peppers with his quick jab, but as soon as Mayweather finishes sizing him up and starts attacking it is over.

Also, I was watching First Take a couple days ago and they were talking about who would give Money the most competitive fight, and Skip mentioned Golotkin (sp?) could probably make 154 and that would be a competitive fight, and I remembered JMM had said the same thing. Of course, I don't know how much JMM appreciates being compared to Skip Bayless as a boxing commentator.
    Good stuff, verminaard.

There's way too many HBO/Showtime, Mayweather/Bob Arum issues to make the Bradley fight happen right now. I'm not sure how much time Bradley has left with Top Rank, but until he's out of that contract, he won't be fighting Mayweather.

Rumors are that Mayweather/Khan might actually happen. I have no idea how they're going to convince anyone that Khan deserves a shot. Unless he rematches Garcia and beats him. Then it would make a little more sense.

I said a few years ago, back when Khan was still winning, that I thought Khan could give Mayweather trouble for a few rounds. And I still think that he could. Just purely from a stylistic standpoint. Khan has a really good jab, and real fast hands. His main problems in this fight would be his lack of defense, and foot speed. I think he'd make it look competitive for about 3 rounds, and then he's pretty much on borrowed time. I actually think Mayweather might knock him out.

I think I know which episode of First Take you're talking about. I think it was when they were interviewing Teddy Atlas. Atlas mentioned that Golovkin would have the best chance of beating Mayweather at 154. Golovkin passes the eye test so far, but I'm not ready to buy into the hype just yet. I know everyone wants the payday, but Golovkin is a middleweight. There's no reason for Mayweather to fight him. And if he fights him at 154, people will just claim GGG was weight drained. Golovkin may have the goods. I'd like to see him against Martinez, when Martinez is back from his injury, and has a tune up.

I think from 140-154 the guy with the best shot to beat Mayweather would be Erislandy Lara. That fight won't ever happen. High risk, low reward. And, man, it would be a snoozer.

I cringe when Skip Bayless talks boxing. I actually feel a little embarrassed for him when he gets that smug ass look on his face, and acts like he knows what he's talking about. Dude really is clueless when it comes to boxing.

Load Metric
    Great fight tonight. Love, love, love brawlers like Provodnikov, those body shots were vicious. I don't think Alvarado was ready to face that kind of power.

Watched Bradley vs JMM. Obv win for Bradley, lol at JMM claiming he was robbed once again.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas1369 View Post
    Great fight tonight. Love, love, love brawlers like Provodnikov, those body shots were vicious. I don't think Alvarado was ready to face that kind of power.

Watched Bradley vs JMM. Obv win for Bradley, lol at JMM claiming he was robbed once again.

Time for Alvarado to move up. He's too big for 140.

Imagine Provodnikov/Rios? Holy shit.

Hate to see Marquez acting like a baby. Dude just can't take a loss. Whine Manuel Marquez.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JMM View Post

Good stuff, verminaard.

There's way too many HBO/Showtime, Mayweather/Bob Arum issues to make the Bradley fight happen right now. I'm not sure how much time Bradley has left with Top Rank, but until he's out of that contract, he won't be fighting Mayweather.

Rumors are that Mayweather/Khan might actually happen. I have no idea how they're going to convince anyone that Khan deserves a shot. Unless he rematches Garcia and beats him. Then it would make a little more sense.

I said a few years ago, back when Khan was still winning, that I thought Khan could give Mayweather trouble for a few rounds. And I still think that he could. Just purely from a stylistic standpoint. Khan has a really good jab, and real fast hands. His main problems in this fight would be his lack of defense, and foot speed. I think he'd make it look competitive for about 3 rounds, and then he's pretty much on borrowed time. I actually think Mayweather might knock him out.

I think I know which episode of First Take you're talking about. I think it was when they were interviewing Teddy Atlas. Atlas mentioned that Golovkin would have the best chance of beating Mayweather at 154. Golovkin passes the eye test so far, but I'm not ready to buy into the hype just yet. I know everyone wants the payday, but Golovkin is a middleweight. There's no reason for Mayweather to fight him. And if he fights him at 154, people will just claim GGG was weight drained. Golovkin may have the goods. I'd like to see him against Martinez, when Martinez is back from his injury, and has a tune up.

I think from 140-154 the guy with the best shot to beat Mayweather would be Erislandy Lara. That fight won't ever happen. High risk, low reward. And, man, it would be a snoozer.

I cringe when Skip Bayless talks boxing. I actually feel a little embarrassed for him when he gets that smug ass look on his face, and acts like he knows what he's talking about. Dude really is clueless when it comes to boxing.
    The Khan fight is a complete travesty. I still don't believe Floyd would take that fight without Khan getting a meaningful win first, but if he does it's a fucking joke. He should just fight the guy who's earned it and who makes the most sense (even if he has hardly any chance) - Danny Garcia. There's really no other good candidate (who he would possibly fight) right now other than Tim Bradley, which we know won't happen because of the promotional issues involved. If Khan gets the fight without beating Devon Alexander or the equivalent first, it's gonna be another major PPV-number disappointment like the Guerrero fight was, and the last thing Floyd needs is to have people start talking about how his huge contract was a bad deal for Showtime.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by HEX View Post

Good stuff, verminaard.

The Khan fight is a complete travesty. I still don't believe Floyd would take that fight without Khan getting a meaningful win first, but if he does it's a fucking joke. He should just fight the guy who's earned it and who makes the most sense (even if he has hardly any chance) - Danny Garcia. There's really no other good candidate (who he would possibly fight) right now other than Tim Bradley, which we know won't happen because of the promotional issues involved. If Khan gets the fight without beating Devon Alexander or the equivalent first, it's gonna be another major PPV-number disappointment like the Guerrero fight was, and the last thing Floyd needs is to have people start talking about how his huge contract was a bad deal for Showtime.
    I agree. I think he needs to fight Garcia again, and if he wins that fight, then MAYBE start talking Mayweather. But as of now, he's done nothing more than lose, and look like shit winning.

I think the Devon Alexander/Shawn Porter fight is signed. I like Porter. Real nice guy. I got to walk into the MGM Ballroom for the Thursday night fights before the Mayweather/Canelo fight with Porter and his team. They were all cool as fuck. That said, he's got no real shot to beat Alexander, imo. Bad style match up for him.

Load Metric
    Garcia shouldn't have to knock Khan out again to get his shot. He should be next.

I like Shawn Porter a lot too, and I think he has a reasonable chance to beat Alexander, though of course he deserves to be a significant underdog. In some ways I like that fight more than Alexander-Khan.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Just watched the Mayweather-Guerrero card on a Showtime replay for the first time. I was surprised how competitive it was in the beginning. Then Guerrero stopped throwing punches, probably because from the 3rd round on he was getting hit in the face every time he tried to throw a punch, which was discouraging I imagine.

Anyways, what do we think of Malignaggi as a color commentator? I have heard him on a couple cards now and think he is good. I do not know what kind of $$ he is making for the commentating, but if it is close to boxing $$ seems like would be a prudent career move.

I was curious if he had another fight booked, and was shocked to see him and Judah are the main event of a PPV card coming up. This is really a viable PPV main event? I think it is barely the last prelim on a PPV card.

Load Metric
    Just watched the Mayweather-Guerrero card on a Showtime replay for the first time. I was surprised how competitive it was in the beginning. Then Guerrero stopped throwing punches, probably because from the 3rd round on he was getting hit in the face every time he tried to throw a punch, which was discouraging I imagine.

Anyways, what do we think of Malignaggi as a color commentator? I have heard him on a couple cards now and think he is good. I do not know what kind of $$ he is making for the commentating, but if it is close to boxing $$ seems like would be a prudent career move.

I was curious if he had another fight booked, and was shocked to see him and Judah are the main event of a PPV card coming up. This is really a viable PPV main event? I think it is barely the last prelim on a PPV card.
    I didn't find Guerrero to be all that competitive even at the beginning. Another in a series of impeccable performances by The Floyd.

Malignaggi is already one of the very best commentators in the sport. He has a big future after he retires imo. As for his fight with Judah, I don't mind it - I think it's kind of an interesting crossroads matchup between two NYC guys who are towards the end of good careers. Also, that will not be on PPV, it will be on regular Showtime.

Platinum
    Load Metric

I didn't find Guerrero to be all that competitive even at the beginning. Another in a series of impeccable performances by The Floyd.

Malignaggi is already one of the very best commentators in the sport. He has a big future after he retires imo. As for his fight with Judah, I don't mind it - I think it's kind of an interesting crossroads matchup between two NYC guys who are towards the end of good careers. Also, that will not be on PPV, it will be on regular Showtime.
    Wiki says it is a PPV, but Wiki has been wrong before. Regular showtime card makes way more sense obv.

Load Metric
    Garcia shouldn't have to knock Khan out again to get his shot. He should be next.

I like Shawn Porter a lot too, and I think he has a reasonable chance to beat Alexander, though of course he deserves to be a significant underdog. In some ways I like that fight more than Alexander-Khan.
    Absolutely agree that Garcia should be next. I was just thinking in terms of what would make Khan somewhat deserving.

Garcia should get the fight. Mayweather would get little credit for it from most people, though. Which is funny because if Matthysse had won, there'd be a huge demand for that fight.

Load Metric

Paulie is the best commentator out there, IMO.

I think he beats Judah by decision by out working him for most of the fight.

Imagine Paulie getting robbed in Brooklyn. The post fight interview would be nuts.

Load Metric

Absolutely agree that Garcia should be next. I was just thinking in terms of what would make Khan somewhat deserving.

Garcia should get the fight. Mayweather would get little credit for it from most people, though. Which is funny because if Matthysse had won, there'd be a huge demand for that fight.
    Yeah, exactly - everyone wanted Matthysse to KO him so we could get a Mayweather fight that might be a bit exciting or dramatic. But as the fight showed, Matthysse in fact would have had less chance than Garcia, who might give Floyd more trouble than expected. If you're a boxing fan, you have to be a pretty big Danny Garcia fan as far as I'm concerned.

Load Metric

Yeah, exactly - everyone wanted Matthysse to KO him so we could get a Mayweather fight that might be a bit exciting or dramatic. But as the fight showed, Matthysse in fact would have had less chance than Garcia, who might give Floyd more trouble than expected. If you're a boxing fan, you have to be a pretty big Danny Garcia fan as far as I'm concerned.
    Angel Garcia says that they aren't going to rush right into a Mayweather fight. They're looking to ease him into 147, with a catchweight fight at 143-144 (probably on another Mayweather undercard). I think that's a good idea, but it almost certainly means that Mayweather is going to fight Khan, a fight that I can't even force myself to get behind.

I don't think Garcia gets enough credit for his boxing ability. I think he's a real good boxer/puncher. And he definitely gets underrated in terms of in ring adjustment. He doesn't just jump in with plan A, and no back up plan. He can adjust according to his opponents really well.

Load Metric
    Also....

Kell Brook by decision +214

Bernard Hopkins by decision -247 with Hopkins in 7-12 +770.

Load Metric
    Also....

Kell Brook by decision +214

Bernard Hopkins by decision -247 with Hopkins in 7-12 +770.
    Really like that Kell Brook bet.

If it's actually pretty much a foregone conclusion that Mayweather is gonna fight Khan, I am pissed. I can't believe Floyd's people think that's a good idea that's gonna sell PPVs. On the other hand, I think it's a good idea from Garcia's perspective to not jump right into a Floyd fight. I think he deserves better than being made into a sacrificial lamb already. Let him get used to welterweight first, like you said.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Bernard Hopkins fight was actually more entertaining then I thought it would be. He's still in amazing shape for an old man.

Wilder fought another bum who at least made it to the fourth round and gave Wilder a the slightest scare early but Firtha understood that he had nothing to lose.

Load Metric
    Pretty crazy what Hopkins is doing at his age. And at least he wasn't lying when he said he was gonna try and get a knockout.

Hopkins has talked of trying to get to 160 for a Mayweather fight, lol. That won't EVER happen. At least, it damn well shouldn't. Not sure what's next for Hopkins. Maybe Stevenson. That might be winnable, but I don't know. I guess it all depends on whether or not the punches Hopkins took against Murat was more due to his game plan, or his reflexes.

It's time we get a step up from Wilder. I understand he got a late start and all, but we're 30 fights in, and he's fought no one credible. People talking about an Arreola fight. I don't love that fight for Wilder. Arreola can take a hell of a punch, and he hits like a truck. I think he could stop Wilder. The fight I like the most for Wilder, is Tyson Fury. Fury was almost put out by Steven Cunningham, a cruiserweight. Wilder lands a few right hands, and it's lights out for Fury. And Wilder has the size and strength to not let Fury lean on him for half of the fight. A lot of people believe Arreola is a more winnable fight than Fury. I'm not one of those people.

Load Metric
    Fury and Wilder have one thing in common - they can't take a punch. Therefore their careers are virtually guaranteed to be major disappointments. Fury is shit anyway, though - Wilder might be a good fighter if he had a chin. But since he doesn't, he will be going the Seth Mitchell route soon enough. The lack of chin also explains, at least partly, why he's been matched only against cans.

Thread Information