Page 11 of 73 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing Thread

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post
    By the end of next year, both guys will be retired and nobody is on the horizon to replace them.
    I strongly disagree with this statement. The stories of boxing's demise are greatly exaggerated my friend.

Granted, we are not in the golden age of prize fighting ATM, but there are still fighters out there that will generate PPV numbers that will dominate any single match the UFC will put out, aside from Jon Jones vs Silva, which I doubt happens in the near future anyway.

People always seem to forget the sports world doesn't revolve around only what US fans want to see. Boxing is still bigger than MMA in most other countries outside of the US, and I think boxing still does bigger numbers in the USA than MMA. I could be wrong there, but it still takes a card of ten fights to pull that off as opposed to one boxing match.

Will you guys ever get tired of comparing MMA to boxing? It's fucking pointless and played out. Every God damn time there is a big fight we have to hear from semi casual boxing fans how terrible boxing is now and how much better MMA is. We get it, you would rather watch guys roll around on the ground for 15 minutes. We understand you miss the days of Mike Tyson knocking guys on their asses with one punch. With all due respect, please just give it a rest.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas1369 View Post
    By the end of next year, both guys will be retired and nobody is on the horizon to replace them.
    I strongly disagree with this statement. The stories of boxing's demise are greatly exaggerated my friend.

Granted, we are not in the golden age of prize fighting ATM, but there are still fighters out there that will generate PPV numbers that will dominate any single match the UFC will put out, aside from Jon Jones vs Silva, which I doubt happens in the near future anyway.

People always seem to forget the sports world doesn't revolve around only what US fans want to see. Boxing is still bigger than MMA in most other countries outside of the US, and I think boxing still does bigger numbers in the USA than MMA. I could be wrong there, but it still takes a card of ten fights to pull that off as opposed to one boxing match.

Will you guys ever get tired of comparing MMA to boxing? It's fucking pointless and played out. Every God damn time there is a big fight we have to hear from semi casual boxing fans how terrible boxing is now and how much better MMA is. We get it, you would rather watch guys roll around on the ground for 15 minutes. We understand you miss the days of Mike Tyson knocking guys on their asses with one punch. With all due respect, please just give it a rest.
    I mentioned MMA zero times. I was discussing the future of boxing in a thread named "Boxing Thread".

Who are these boxers that are going to sell PPVs after Paq and Mayweather retire?

Boxing is a global sport, but we're Americans. I would love to watch the Klitschkos, but neither one has fought outside of Europe in 4 years, and watching fights at 10am is lame.
    Last edited by DirtyB; 05-06-2013 at 08:12 PM.

Load Metric

Your a boxer Dirty dont take there crap!!

Load Metric

I mentioned MMA zero times. I was discussing the future of boxing in a thread named "Boxing Thread".

Who are these boxers that are going to sell PPVs after Paq and Mayweather retire?

Boxing is a global sport, but we're Americans. I would love to watch the Klitschkos, but neither one has fought outside of Europe in 4 years, and watching fights at 10am is lame.
    Adrien Broner will be putting up Pac and Mayweather numbers probably within 5 years, most likely less than that IMO. Canelo is already a huge draw and will be doing big numbers on PPV in the very near future. There are a lot of up and comers that you probably haven't heard of, just like you probably didn't hear about Pac until he fought De La Hoya. I agree that it sucks there is no great American heavyweights out there, which to me is amazing, but one will come along eventually and everyone will be on his jock the same way they were with Tyson and every great HW before him.

Sorry for lumping you in with the MMA BS. We cool blood, we cool.

Load Metric
    Well, absolutely nothing changed here, lol. MMA, RAWR.

Boxing may not be at it's high, but MMA is losing it's appeal, too. The PPV's are nothing but a chorus of "boo's" half the time.

The UFC will die before boxing does. Book it.

Watch Peterson/Matthysse. Gonna be a good one. Thinking Peterson is a live dog, if he doesn't get caught up in trading punches.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Mayweather vs Alvarez confirmed.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...itter/2371265/

Finally fight I will actually pay for.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardBrodiesCombover. View Post
    Mayweather vs Alvarez confirmed.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...itter/2371265/

Finally fight I will actually pay for.
    I'll pay for it, and I'm glad to see money step up and actually take on someone worthy, but not all that excited about it. Another unanimous decision for Floyd. Canelo is too slow and not powerful enough to knock Floyd out with one punch, which is the only way he can win IMO.

I am excited about taking a lot of money off of over confident Mexican fanboys though.

Load Metric
    Mayweather wide UD.

Alvarez is too slow and fights in spurts. Mayweather will take advantage of his weaknesses and win a decision. Then people will say that Canelo wasn't ready, and shouldn't have been in there.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Broner vs. Malignaggi is tonight on Showtime.

Broner brought tons of smack talk again for this one in the press conferences but the kid is extremely good.

Load Metric
    As much of a stupid twat as he is, there is like no way Broner can lose tonight. Wish it wasn't the case. Pretty funny press conference. Best is when Paulie tells Broner that his mom named him Adrien because she knew he was a bitch.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JMM View Post

Boxing may not be at it's high, but MMA is losing it's appeal, too. The PPV's are nothing but a chorus of "boo's" half the time.

Watch Peterson/Matthysse. Gonna be a good one. Thinking Peterson is a live dog, if he doesn't get caught up in trading punches.
    I thought the same thing for some reason. We were stupid to think that, and I don't only say that in hindsight. Matthysse is one of the best and scariest fighters in the world. I'd take him against anyone at 147 or below other than Floyd, and I think he would have as good a shot against Mayweather as anyone Floyd might fight.

Load Metric
    So Broner not only beats Malignaggi in his home town, but also banged a girl of his and bragged about it in the post fight interview. which caused Malignaggi to completely lose it...

LOL! AWESOME!!!

He just might be the most fantastic asshole in the history of boxing.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I thought Broner clearly won the fight from power punches and he never appeared dazed at all from anything Malignaggi threw at him. I can see how some people can get fooled thinking Malignaggi was throwing much more but a lot Broner blocked and what did hit him was Broner could eat up another 12 rounds if the fight was able to go that long. I was hoping for a KO but oh well it shows Broner can go the distance in a fight.

Load Metric
    Broner is the biggest twat in the sport. When you come into the ring with a gold grill and then thank your grill maker after the fight, things aren't gonna work out for you ultimately.

Paulie fought very impressively for someone with no power. If he could hit it would have been a different fight. Broner won by maybe 2 points (could have been a draw), but he never really figured Paulie out. He was bewildered. Imagine how bewildered he'd be against Mayweather.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Broner really hasn't fought a guy yet that has power even moving up weight classes. He goes into fights clowning around and never really doing anything by choice until the third or fourth rounds. Eventually someone might make him pay for this "come on, lets see what you got" type of approach that he keeps bringing into fights when many of them Broner could put the guy away quicker then he does but not Paulie.

If Paulie had any power then Broner would have to adjust otherwise he would lose on the judges scorecards.

Load Metric
    I wish Paulie had more power. But it's hard to say if Broner has the ability to adjust mid fight, because he didn't have to against Paulie. He just didn't have to move his head/feet as much, because he knew there was nothing Paulie could throw to hurt him.

As for the fight, it's one of those that just depends on how you score fights. Broner landed the cleaner, harder shots. Paulie dictated the pace of the fight. I thought Broner edged it, but would have loved to see Paulie get the nod.

Broner says the fans can pick his next fight. And you can bet that whatever poll is being conducted, the winner will be Matthysse. And you can bet that they'll do whatever they can not to fight him. I would bet it's gonna be Maidana at 147. A fight that Broner will win handily, if he throws enough punches. Horrible style clash for Maidana.

Seems to me like Broner is under the impression that he's a pure enough boxer to cut a man's work rate down with counter punching, the way that Mayweather does. And he's just not good enough to do that. He has to fight a more aggressive fight if he wants to take out the top guys. His defense doesn't really create great offense, because his defense isn't great. If that makes any sense.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by HEX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JMM View Post

I thought the same thing for some reason. We were stupid to think that, and I don't only say that in hindsight. Matthysse is one of the best and scariest fighters in the world. I'd take him against anyone at 147 or below other than Floyd, and I think he would have as good a shot against Mayweather as anyone Floyd might fight.
    The truth is...I underestimated Matthysse. I wasn't sold on him. He made a believer out of me, though. As far as he and Floyd. I guess he's got a better shot than anyone at 147, but I still wouldn't give him much of a chance.

Load Metric
    Golovkin vs Martinez

:makeitso

Load Metric
    Golovkin vs Martinez

:makeitso
    GGG probably gonna fight Murray next. Looks like he's just trying to back Martinez into a corner so he'll have no choice but to fight him.

Golovkin's a monster. That was the sickest body shot I've seen in a LONG time. But he's also there to be hit. If he lets Martinez tee off on him he'll be beaten.

Talks of Garcia/Matty on Floyd/Canelo undercard. That would be great.

Thread Information