Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pipe Leak - Seal or Replace?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Pipe Leak - Seal or Replace?

So we have been getting bombarded with snow in this area and obv snow melts off my car when I pull it in the garage. But I noticed a water buildup that was more than usual.

After little investigation I found the leak and it is coming from inside a small cabinet on the ceiling. The hole can't be bigger than a pin hole and it drips about a gallon of water a day and I have it under control as it just drips in a bowl.

But what is my play next? Do I have the pipe replaced which will probably cost $100 for the pipe + whatever a buddy charges me to change it which may be nothing. Or do I get some type of seal and cover it?

Banned
    Load Metric
    Burn the house to the ground and start from scratch.

Banned
    Load Metric
    100 pages

future HOF thread

obv

Comments

Sanlmar: It's the cold water feed to his DD washing machine

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    So we have been getting bombarded with snow in this area and obv snow melts off my car when I pull it in the garage. But I noticed a water buildup that was more than usual.

After little investigation I found the leak and it is coming from inside a small cabinet on the ceiling. The hole can't be bigger than a pin hole and it drips about a gallon of water a day and I have it under control as it just drips in a bowl.

But what is my play next? Do I have the pipe replaced which will probably cost $100 for the pipe + whatever a buddy charges me to change it which may be nothing. Or do I get some type of seal and cover it?

More info please.

If its a pipe, you wont get away from this repair for $100. There will be that much cost in replacing drywall or paneling alone.

You mentioned a lot of snow, and that instantly brings Ice melt/Ice dams to my mind. Those factors will create leaks on normally sound roofs. The only fix for that is either warm weather, or a heat gun/source and a ladder.

Do you live in an apt? Because from the description, it sounds like the leak is too high to be a pipe (unless you have 2 storys or neighbors living above you). In a one story single dwelling, there shouldnt be pipes up by a ceiling cabinet.

Lastly, if you have a pipe rupture, it will most certainly need replaced, NOT patched. The good news is you probably can do the work yourself if you have pvc pipe. The Drywall is probably doable too, but you may have probs getting the finish mud work looking good.

Good luck if you diy. Cheers!

Load Metric
    I say fuck it and just buy a weed pipe and get high all day.

It's your birthday
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Only God can judge me. So either LOVE ME or LEAVE ME ALONE"

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Load Metric
    You have relatively new construction?

Funny you posting after the "thaw" yesterday.

Bet you have a gap in insulation and froze up - split pipe - then thawed and leaked. Takes the brutal cold weather to "shake out" the new construction mistakes with insulation.

I would call a plumber or have an experienced trades guy look at it. They got a lot of common sense about construction that you and I lack.

Fixing the pipe is one thing. Addressing the cause is the right thing.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

Bet you have a gap in insulation and froze up - split pipe - then thawed and leaked. Takes the brutal cold weather to "shake out" the new construction mistakes with insulation.

I would call a plumber or have an experienced trades guy look at it. They got a lot of common sense about construction that you and I lack.

Exactly why i mentioned Ice dams. They occur when snow melts on the roof during the day, then refreezes at night. The repeated process creates "ice dams" that will make water back up under your shingles.....once water is in, there is no telling where it will go. If there is a way, water will find it.

I own a construction company BTW, this is very much in my wheelhouse.

Cheers.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post

Exactly why i mentioned Ice dams. They occur when snow melts on the roof during the day, then refreezes at night. The repeated process creates "ice dams" that will make water back up under your shingles.....once water is in, there is no telling where it will go. If there is a way, water will find it.

Cheers.
    Sanlmar knows ice dams. I hired a contractor to shovel my roof. Easily 2 feet on roof and another foot on its way.

The contractor was a local tree service. They came with a bucket truck with an enormous arm.

I stood out there with my phone about to take picture and they started to get a little tense so I backed off. Insurance anyone?

My thoughts are that these are two separate problems. Wonder if China has a garage under the main living space. This is likely. Garage unheated and pipe not well insulated.

Load Metric
    I would just move

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

More info please.

If its a pipe, you wont get away from this repair for $100. There will be that much cost in replacing drywall or paneling alone.

You mentioned a lot of snow, and that instantly brings Ice melt/Ice dams to my mind. Those factors will create leaks on normally sound roofs. The only fix for that is either warm weather, or a heat gun/source and a ladder.

Do you live in an apt? Because from the description, it sounds like the leak is too high to be a pipe (unless you have 2 storys or neighbors living above you). In a one story single dwelling, there shouldnt be pipes up by a ceiling cabinet.

Lastly, if you have a pipe rupture, it will most certainly need replaced, NOT patched. The good news is you probably can do the work yourself if you have pvc pipe. The Drywall is probably doable too, but you may have probs getting the finish mud work looking good.

Good luck if you diy. Cheers!

Nah picture this, 1 door garage opens, you walk to the back of the garage, there is like a ceiling closet that is about 2 feet by 2 feet that you can pull off. Luckily I had that panel off before it leaked. So the pipe is right in clear view, it just trickled down to a cement floor so I got lucky

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Cheers.
    Sanlmar knows ice dams. I hired a contractor to shovel my roof. Easily 2 feet on roof and another foot on its way.

The contractor was a local tree service. They came with a bucket truck with an enormous arm.

I stood out there with my phone about to take picture and they started to get a little tense so I backed off. Insurance anyone?

My thoughts are that these are two separate problems. Wonder if China has a garage under the main living space. This is likely. Garage unheated and pipe not well insulated.
    bingo

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Depends what type of pipe it is. PVC or CPVC it can be fixed for about $5 in materials. Copper is a whole different animal, really not that hard either but most people seem to be scared of a blow torch and solder.

They have wraps you can use but if you are going to cut a hole to get to the pipe why n-word rig it? Might as well fix it properly we aren't talking about a lot if money here either way.

You could of course call a plumber, who will charge you $60 an hour, mark up the materials by 500%, all for a job a trained monkey could do.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post
    Depends what type of pipe it is. PVC or CPVC it can be fixed for about $5 in materials. Copper is a whole different animal, really not that hard either but most people seem to be scared of a blow torch and solder.

They have wraps you can use but if you are going to cut a hole to get to the pipe why n-word rig it? Might as well fix it properly we aren't talking about a lot if money here either way.

You could of course call a plumber, who will charge you $60 an hour, mark up the materials by 500%, all for a job a trained monkey could do.
    Ya I am probably going to have a plumber buddy just replace it more than likely. Need to have neighbor shut down the sprinkler system first cause the switch is in his unit

Load Metric
    Sounds like you're not a do it yourselfer.

That's cool.

Here's an easy fix.

Leave that hell hole in the north and move tho the sunny South. We don't get 3 feet of snow and our pipes don't freeze.

Problem solved.
    Tradition is a set of solutions for which we have forgotten the problems.

Load Metric

I would suggest you lay lots of pipe.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I got lucky here unless this fucking thing bursts. Condo association guy came today with sprinkler dude. They are fixing it in the morning. They have to shut off the water line in another unit and drain the thing and replace the pipe and fill it back up.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertstemple View Post
    Here's an easy fix.

Leave that hell hole in the north and move tho the sunny South.

this ^^

Load Metric
    Call this guy maybe?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    So in the end it is fixed. Anyone care to guess how much this would have costed had it come out of pocket?

2 workers , 5.5 hours they were here and the part probably costed $100 for them to buy but they usually mark that up 100% +

Load Metric
    So in the end it is fixed. Anyone care to guess how much this would have costed had it come out of pocket?

2 workers , 5.5 hours they were here and the part probably costed $100 for them to buy but they usually mark that up 100% +

Massachusetts pricing? Oh that's a 12 piece easy.

Thread Information