Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My dog wont stop limping. Any Advice?

Load Metric

My dog wont stop limping. Any Advice?

I know this is a weird place to ask for pet medical problems but people here seem to know all kinds of random stuff.

First off, I have been to the vet god knows how many times with no luck. I actually have another appointment tomorrow with another vet. My lab is 8 years old and in last 6 months has gone from able to take hour long walks without issue to having trouble with stairs and walks around the block. He is still super happy and has no problem eating or anything like that but it is obviously something wrong with him. Vet gave him supplements and pain killers/anti inflammatory drugs. They even gave him some kind to antibiotic to get rid of some weird parasite in the 2 percent chance that was the issue. He also got the 300 dollar blood test that checks for everything. The only thing that seemed to kind of help was the pain killers, but once he is off that the limp is worse. I am guessing this is because it masks the pain and then he pushes himself more than usual thus making shit worse. The limp has been there for three months and never shows signs of improving. I know the walking is painful because dogs, especially labs, will try their best to please you and he pushing against something that makes walking a real struggle.

I tried a Google search on what I am seeing and all they say is take him to the vet which I have done a million times. I really dont know what else to do. I explained to the vet i don't care about the money but all he seems to do is recommend shit that doesn't help.

Anyone run into anything like this? Maybe there is a random vet on this forum that knows their shit.
    :freelewfather

Load Metric
    Our dog also starting limping when she was about 8 or 9 years old and after taking her to the vet many times they told us she had arthritis
    -Allergic to the struggle

Gold
    Load Metric
    Front or back leg? Vet do xrays to check for hip displaysia (if back leg)?

Bronze
    Load Metric
    My thought also, if back leg I assume they have ruled out hip displasia. Otherwise likely arthritis.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4BET View Post
    Our dog also starting limping when she was about 8 or 9 years old and after taking her to the vet many times they told us she had arthritis

Can it really slow them down that much? I mean this is a dog that was running for an hour straighrt 6 months ago now it is a chore to walk up and down a flight or stairs or walk around the block. They gave him these supplements with the idea it might help if it is arthritis or joint issue but it has done nothing.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenchjockey View Post
    Front or back leg? Vet do xrays to check for hip displaysia (if back leg)?

The limp seems to be in the front area, especially bad when he tries to go down stairs. Surprisingly, they have not even recommended x rays. Maybe at this point i should demand them.

Gold
    Load Metric
    If your vet can't figure it out, see if you can get a referral to a university's veterinary program. The U of MN has one of the best programs around and I ended up going that route when my old pup started losing weight at an alarming rate, despite eating well and otherwise not showing any illnesses. Not sure if you need a referral, or what is available out your way, but that's how they did it here.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenchjockey View Post
    If your vet can't figure it out, see if you can get a referral to a university's veterinary program. The U of MN has one of the best programs around and I ended up going that route when my old pup started losing weight at an alarming rate, despite eating well and otherwise not showing any illnesses. Not sure if you need a referral, or what is available out your way, but that's how they did it here.

Awesome advice. I think that is the route i am going to take. It sucks because you get so attached to these dogs you just want them to get better. Had him since he was 8 weeks.

Name:  0.JPG
Views: 570
Size:  697.8 KB

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 522
Size:  706.3 KB

Comments

Charham: cute dog, i want another one

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post

Can it really slow them down that much? I mean this is a dog that was running for an hour straighrt 6 months ago now it is a chore to walk up and down a flight or stairs or walk around the block. They gave him these supplements with the idea it might help if it is arthritis or joint issue but it has done nothing.
    If all x rays and blood work came back fine I would say your dog has arthritis in his/her joints, Our dog was very active also and this really slowed her down, She used to run up and down the steps no problem, Then really started looking like she was in pain when going up steps/running etc. We would really notice it when she would first get up from laying down

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post

If all x rays and blood work came back fine I would say your dog has arthritis in his/her joints, Our dog was very active also and this really slowed her down, She used to run up and down the steps no problem, Then really started looking like she was in pain when going up steps/running etc. We would really notice it when she would first get up from laying down

I have gone in at least 5 times in last 2-3 months for the same issue and they have not asked to do Xrays yet. I dont get why. I am going to demand them tomorrow. The only thing i can think of is that maybe they dont even have that equipment. However, it would seem as if any decent vet office would have x ray equipment.

Load Metric
    Sounds like it is time for a new vet.

Comments

4BET: This

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83 View Post
    I went through 4 vets and could never get any good info.

All four prescribed general antibiotics and none could figure it out.

Vets are scammers for the most part.

Few years ago I talked to a vet for a half hour while waiting on my accountant. He also confirmed a lot of my beliefs.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post

Few years ago I talked to a vet for a half hour while waiting on my accountant. He also confirmed a lot of my beliefs.
    So fking true, I have some horror stories from these vets, Actually my blood gets boiling thinking about it

Comments

simpdog: same

Load Metric
    Your dog doesn't look a day over 7. The Tom Brady of dogs.

I am incredulous that the vet did not discuss arthritis as a possibility. This is so common in older cats and dogs.

I would challenge the vet regarding this possibility and his/her failure to explore this.

Good luck!

Gold
    Load Metric
    Around 8 or 9 labs definitely start showing their age. How have they not done x rays yet? If this just started happening this winter it could be from salt being spread on the sidewalks everywhere in NYC burning his paws. That's my quack assessment

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post

i am starting to get the same idea. It all started when they charged me 80 dollars for supplements to see if it would help. Just as I expected, the supplement did nothing and probably can be bought on Amazon for 5 bucks. They also charge a ridiculous amount for anti inflammatory medicines which is basically Advil. I am going to a new vet tomorrow. I just hope it isnt a reset and we go through all the same BS again.

IMO, if you get a pet you should have the money to give it the best care possible. I think a lot of people think the same way and the vets seem to prey on that.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Your dog doesn't look a day over 7. The Tom Brady of dogs.

I am incredulous that the vet did not discuss arthritis as a possibility. This is so common in older cats and dogs.

I would challenge the vet regarding this possibility and his/her failure to explore this.

Good luck!

Thanks. They actually thought arthritis early on which is why I got him on the BS supplements that have done absolutely nothing to help him. The supplements didnt work so we did every blood test you can do, pain medicine, took videos of him walking so they could show other vets for their opinion. The only thing that has happened since I started this is he has gotten worse.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookygook View Post
    Around 8 or 9 labs definitely start showing their age. How have they not done x rays yet? If this just started happening this winter it could be from salt being spread on the sidewalks everywhere in NYC burning his paws. That's my quack assessment
    I think this is the next step. I got a new vet tomorrow and going to demand x rays off the bat. Since vets try to milk as much money as possible, the only reason I can think of is that the other vet didn't have the equipment.

Load Metric
    Not a Vet but are pain killers a good idea here?

If dog doesn't feel pain then moves around normally, wouldn't the dog further aggravate what is already wrong with him?
    Save a Cow - Eat a Vegetarian, they're grass-fed.

Load Metric
    Vets are definitely bloodsuckers.

When I was younger our family dog (a lab) lived until she was 14 but the last ~6 months was brutal.

My mom couldn't handle the thought of putting her down so she was kept alive on a massively expensive regimen of steroids, painkillers, anti-inflammatories etc. until she just shut down. I visited them after returning from Europe and immediately told my dad that it was time.

I later found out that they had spent over five grand for a couple of months of extremely low quality of life. Any responsible vet would have recommended euthanization but this cunt sold my mother on the steroids being a 'cure'.

Thread Information