Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: THe question for employment have you ever been convicted of a crime? answer yes or no?

Load Metric

THe question for employment have you ever been convicted of a crime? answer yes or no?

have you ever been convicted of a crime? answer yes or no? I have a slew of misdemeanors. ranging from assault to DUI. If I answer yes no one will give me a interview. When I answer NO. I get a ton of calls. Any thoughts on this?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hardeight View Post
    have you ever been convicted of a crime? answer yes or no? I have a slew of misdemeanors. ranging from assault to DUI. If I answer yes no one will give me a interview. When I answer NO. I get a ton of calls. Any thoughts on this?
    Leave it blank. Most employers will assume you mean no, and technically you aren't lying
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Load Metric
    Do you want a job?

Seriously though, if you lie there are two end games. One, they never figure it out and you get the job. Two- they figure it out and you dont get the job. This is the same outcome as if you told the truth and didnt get the job. So therefore what I am getting at is, what do you have to lose by lying?

And that is coming from a guy who is responsible for 100+ employees. Just lie, chances are the jobs you are applying for it doesnt honestly matter anyways!

Load Metric
    I have a summary offense for underage drinking and I normally leave it blank. Typically, they only want you to put yes if it's a misdemeanor or felony. I guess that doesn't help you but it certainly helps me!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post
    Do you want a job?

Seriously though, if you lie there are two end games. One, they never figure it out and you get the job. Two- they figure it out and you dont get the job. This is the same outcome as if you told the truth and didnt get the job. So therefore what I am getting at is, what do you have to lose by lying?

And that is coming from a guy who is responsible for 100+ employees. Just lie, chances are the jobs you are applying for it doesnt honestly matter anyways!
    Jesus that was a hard read.

My response.....just put the letter n in the box.
    They will assume this stands for no

Load Metric
    Do you want a job?

Yeah I figured as much. thanks for your input

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Do you want a job?

What about the n option?

I'm quite hungover but I thought this was a stroke of brilliance. No?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

What about the n option?

I'm quite hungover but I thought this was a stroke of brilliance.

I actually did get a chuckle out of it. But allot of these you fill out online so you have to click the option yes or no. So N is not option

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

What about the n option?

I'm quite hungover but I thought this was a stroke of brilliance.

I actually did get a chuckle out of it. But allot of these you fill out online so you have to click the option yes or no. So N is not option
    Agree with Searles here, if it ever comes up please ignorance and state you assumed they were referring to felonies or gross misdemeanors. That's how the question is phrased where I work, with an add for financial malfeasance as I am in financial services.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I wouldn't know where to start. At least you didn't have to put down Attica as one of your previous residencies.
    Of all the money e'er I had, I spent it in good company

Load Metric
    Just say no. The outcome of getting caught in the lie is the same as if you had said yes in the first place.

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTemplar View Post
    I wouldn't know where to start. At least you didn't have to put down Attica as one of your previous residencies.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTemplar View Post

EIGHTHARDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

You guys are right I just put no and roll the dice.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    With computers, you are basically fucked. Outside of an SSN#, nothing is really going to be taken seriously on a application.

Given the high unemployment rate, I cannot see any scenario you would get a job with a decent company with your bad background.

Lying is a waste of time for you and the person accepting the paperwork. You will never make it past HR. And for good reason. By your own admission you assault people, therfore you would assault co-workers, get my point.

I'd focus on some type of home business or invention.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The PHA View Post
    With computers, you are basically fucked. Outside of an SSN#, nothing is really going to be taken seriously on a application.

Given the high unemployment rate, I cannot see any scenario you would get a job with a decent company with your bad background.

Lying is a waste of time for you and the person accepting the paperwork. You will never make it past HR. And for good reason. By your own admission you assault people, therfore you would assault co-workers, get my point.

I'd focus on some type of home business or invention.
    Is possible to screen record these applications, then use the n idea? Mail that fucker to them and who knows.

Invention......lol

Load Metric
    Obviously the answer is no for the already stated reasons. But background checks are cheap as hell now, and everyone does them. PHA is pretty accurate that starting something of your own is probably the best bet. If you try to find work, don't bother with anything where you're handling money, any large corporations, etc. You'll work a week and worry if you're going to get the check after the background report comes back and they fire you. Basically, you're looking at labor jobs and small private companies owned by old men as your best chance to not be exposed. If you happen to slip by somewhere, if you absolutely kill it, you have a small chance they may let you stay if you're already making them money. I have a friend with an MBA and coke conviction who can't get an assistant manager at McDonald's job.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    i got busted for a dui causing bodily harm (in canada soo not as bad) but when i applied i left it go and they said they would be running checks. never was asked about it. just leave it blank

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Obviously the answer is no for the already stated reasons. But background checks are cheap as hell now, and everyone does them. PHA is pretty accurate that starting something of your own is probably the best bet. If you try to find work, don't bother with anything where you're handling money, any large corporations, etc. You'll work a week and worry if you're going to get the check after the background report comes back and they fire you. Basically, you're looking at labor jobs and small private companies owned by old men as your best chance to not be exposed. If you happen to slip by somewhere, if you absolutely kill it, you have a small chance they may let you stay if you're already making them money. I have a friend with an MBA and coke conviction who can't get an assistant manager at McDonald's job.

I can relate and I totally believe what your saying. It really is tough out there for people who have been convicted of a crime. There is always doubt on the minds of the employer, and why should they take a chance?

I will be the first one to tell ya, the work force is hard with a record. It's absolutely brutal. I have a degree in History that I received this past winter. I went back because I wanted out of the Gambling/Hustleing lifestyle. I have wanted out for years. Two years ago when I went looking for jobs, they told me I needed more education. Now when I look for jobs, they don't reply after the backround check. They won't tell you to your face that they are afraid of you working there, they will simply will ignore you.

Yes there are some real scumbags out there with records that look and sound like great people. Yes some people will continue to commit crimes,but a lot of people made some bad decisions a long time ago and would never think twice about doing it again.
    Of all the money e'er I had, I spent it in good company

Load Metric
    this is were i am a little lucky i guess because im in a union.. but i have a uncle that was going for a good job (and he has some misdemeanors... fighting , dui etc) He put "will explain" in that colom
    nad they never asked him anything

Banned
    Load Metric
    Always tell the truth.

If you owned the company, would you want to hire convicted criminals to work for you?

Thread Information