Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal Government under Obama now dictating math standards to local governments

Bronze
    Load Metric

Federal Government under Obama now dictating math standards to local governments

Basically teach math this way under Common Core or lose funding. Another massive left wing fail method.

Comments

Muck Ficon: Faggot.

Banned
    Load Metric

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    basic math>ap calc
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Banned
    Load Metric
    shut up popeil

Banned
    Load Metric
    What's wrong with teaching kids how base 10 works?

One of the things I hated most about school was rote memorization. It's much more practical to understand how and why things work.

Load Metric
    Saw the video.

Yikes.

What is so hard about taking a 9 and adding a 6 to it. Their way looked more complex. Break the 6 down to 5 + 1. That works great unless you are adding it to something other than a 9. You have to take x (x = 9 in this case), subtract it from 10, then subtract that difference from y (y = 6 in this case), and the difference of that calculation added to 10.

That's damn complicated to me.

Don't get what they said about memorizing 9 + 6 = 15. If you don't understand how to take 9 and add 6 to it and get 15, then this new process is going to completely blow some kids mind.

Don't think this is going to do the average school kid much good.
    Tradition is a set of solutions for which we have forgotten the problems.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertstemple View Post
    Saw the video.

Yikes.

What is so hard about taking a 9 and adding a 6 to it. Their way looked more complex. Break the 6 down to 5 + 1. That works great unless you are adding it to something other than a 9. You have to take x (x = 9 in this case), subtract it from 10, then subtract that difference from y (y = 6 in this case), and the difference of that calculation added to 10.

Don't get what they said about memorizing 9 + 6 = 15. If you don't understand how to take 9 and add 6 to it and get 15, then this new process is going to completely blow some kids mind.

It may seem dumb when looking at something as simple as 9 + 6, but it can be very useful when applied to more complex problems.

I do something very similar when working out tips in my head. How quickly can you figure 20% of 137.54? I can do it in a few seconds. Not because I'm some kind of genius, but because I break down the problem into simpler components.

Load Metric
    First, I've never been taught the method in the vid, but its what I've done in my head since I can remember, and it takes a fraction of the time regular math takes when the numbers get bigger. It quickly becomes very intuitive, and fast.

But never mind how good or bad this teaching method is (because God knows the 1 minute video wasn't exactly made to be informative), lets tie this in to Obama even though the program started before he was in office and he had nothing to do with the actual standards in place in the program, not to mention the program has had bi-partisan support (and bi-partisan push-back) from the get-go, including notable conservative supporter Jeb Bush (which matters because its the Governors who set the standards, not the President). Left wing fail? Get a grip, and maybe learn a bit more about what you are criticizing.

Good lord Tony, shut it down and enjoy the day. It's fucking Super Bowl Sunday, your team is in the game, you are a stones throw from the fucking place, and you are posting bullshit like this? C'mon, man!
    Last edited by Crowe Diddly; 02-01-2015 at 01:37 PM.

Load Metric

Angry

OMG!!!!! Now I understand why my grandaughter is having a tough time with math and she is exceptionally smart. This is so ridiculous and makes me very angry that it is being shoved down our throats.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Good lord Tony, shut it down and enjoy the day. It's fucking Super Bowl Sunday and your team is in the game.
    OP is bottomset.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    shut up popeil
    mary crackow dominating both forum threads and poker. you're surely a blessed individual
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    Good lord Tony, shut it down and enjoy the day. It's fucking Super Bowl Sunday and your team is in the game.
    OP is GOD.

Load Metric
    OP is bottomset.

Wow, I can't believe I didn't pick that up. I heartily apologize to Tony Bag. I wouldn't even have opened the thread if I picked up on that.

Load Metric
    But never mind how good or bad this teaching method is (because God knows the 1 minute video wasn't exactly made to be informative), lets tie this in to Obama even though the program started before he was in office and he had nothing to do with the actual standards in place in the program, not to mention the program has had bi-partisan support (and bi-partisan push-back) from the get-go, including notable conservative supporter Jeb Bush (which matters because its the Governors who set the standards, not the President). Left wing fail? Get a grip, and maybe learn a bit more about what you are criticizing.
    But if you tie it to Obama, then it's definitely evil. Just because these people have no fucking clue how any of it works doesn't mean that they can't be angry about it. Here in reality, Common Core is actually a pretty good example of what Libertarians have been asking for, more authority at the state level.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post
    But if you tie it to Obama, then it's definitely evil. Just because these people have no fucking clue how any of it works doesn't mean that they can't be angry about it. Here in reality, Common Core is actually a pretty good example of what Libertarians have been asking for, more authority at the state level.
    Shut the fuck up lib cocksucker

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post
    If you like your math teacher, do you get to keep your math teacher?

Comments

wrenchjockey: See now this is humor folks

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertstemple View Post
    Saw the video.

Yikes.

It may seem dumb when looking at something as simple as 9 + 6, but it can be very useful when applied to more complex problems.

I do something very similar when working out tips in my head. How quickly can you figure 20% of 137.54? I can do it in a few seconds. Not because I'm some kind of genius, but because I break down the problem into simpler components.
    What I figured but when thinking how practical it is is the issue with me. If you are teaching this method of learning as the kids learn I think you are going to slow the average ones down. The smarter ones are going to excel and the dumber ones are going to say "fuck this shit".
    Tradition is a set of solutions for which we have forgotten the problems.

Load Metric
    I think it's funny that you people are raging over this. Ask anyone who is not a prodigy that does mental math and they'll tell you they do the same thing. I do this all the time when I'm doing multiplication, addition, or really just any math in my head. It's very commonplace to solve problems by using a set of rules to change the problem to something you're more familiar with.

Comments

4BET: BUM

Load Metric
    I actually use a similar system for squaring two digit numbers (I use a base ten system) so I can actually compute it without a calculator or even paper.

eg.

what is 22 squared?

10x20 plus 10x20 plus 22 x2

22x10=220 plus 220= 440 plus 44= 484.

No one ever taught me the above. I learned it on my own when bored in history class. But it goes to show just how naturally our minds adopt a base ten system.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    But it goes to show just how naturally our minds adopt a base ten system.
    Here's an interesting thing about base 12, and why it might be better. Pretty longish. http://io9.com/5977095/why-we-should...ounting-system

Comments

BetCheckBet: interesting and did not know

Thread Information