Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ***OFFICIAL What home projects do you do?***

Load Metric
    did you consider bamboo?
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTIFIEDhomicide View Post

Own or else I wouldn't be doing any of this

1) awesome, was curious about that

2) congrats, great time to take the ownership plunge.

Thanks, it's a quiet 2br 2bath condo right in downtown Durango. Got a great bargain since I bought it from my gf's aunt

Comments

sonatine: thats fucking jointish
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Only God can judge me. So either LOVE ME or LEAVE ME ALONE"

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Load Metric
    did you consider bamboo?

The only reason I did the floors in the first place was our water heater somehow leaked a big space rightt in that hallway. So after I got it fixed I wanted to A: change to wood to match the kitchen and b: have something I could pull up easily if the problem persists. I also am replacing all of our carpets in the place and will have that done professionally as well as the trim on this floor. Feels good to be finally settled so I like posting these weird threads to document it all
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Load Metric
    did you consider bamboo?

The only reason I did the floors in the first place was our water heater somehow leaked a big space rightt in that hallway. So after I got it fixed I wanted to A: change to wood to match the kitchen and b: have something I could pull up easily if the problem persists. I also am replacing all of our carpets in the place and will have that done professionally as well as the trim on this floor. Feels good to be finally settled so I like posting these weird threads to document it all

the first thing i ask myself when ive looked at new pads so far is what its going to take to dope out the kitchen. ceramic/tile floors are fucking wack attack so by far the most economic/strongest aesthetic option so far has been bamboo. was mostly wondering if you had discovered good reasons not to roll with it. that laminate does do work tho, so i can see why you pulled the trigger on it.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

the first thing i ask myself when ive looked at new pads so far is what its going to take to dope out the kitchen. ceramic/tile floors are fucking wack attack so by far the most economic/strongest aesthetic option so far has been bamboo. was mostly wondering if you had discovered good reasons not to roll with it. that laminate does do work tho, so i can see why you pulled the trigger on it.

I have dark bamboo floors in my entire house except bathrooms. Completely honest I'm not pleased with it. Not by a long shot. The floors look great however they do scratch rather easily (not supposed to) and it doesn't take much water to separate the planks. Part of the this could be the installers did a shitty job but for 15k we aren't very happy. She'd rather do tile everywhere. I prefer the look of hardwood personally. The tile hardwood could possibly be a nice compromise.

Plus if you have pets, namely dogs, hardwood gets dirty as fuck and everything shows up on them.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post

I have dark bamboo floors in my entire house except bathrooms. Completely honest I'm not pleased with it. Not by a long shot. The floors look great however they do scratch rather easily (not supposed to) and it doesn't take much water to separate the planks. Part of the this could be the installers did a shitty job but for 15k we aren't very happy. She'd rather do tile everywhere. I prefer the look of hardwood personally. The tile hardwood could possibly be a nice compromise.

Plus if you have pets, namely dogs, hardwood gets dirty as fuck and everything shows up on them.

My next big project is to replace our main kitchen counters with stainless steal like an industrial kitchen. Just in the cooking area. My kitchen isn't as big as I'd like, but once we move in the 3-5 year range I will have no problem unloading for a profit. I gotta tell you, having a deli with all house cured meats is working fucking wonders and is a head up on every game in town

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

My next big project is to replace our main kitchen counters with stainless steal like an industrial kitchen. Just in the cooking area. My kitchen isn't as big as I'd like, but once we move in the 3-5 year range I will have no problem unloading for a profit. I gotta tell you, having a deli with all house cured meats is working fucking wonders and is a head up on every game in town

Would you mind clarifying on the last paragraph?
    Do you own a deli? Is it in the same building as your residence, i.e. the first floor?
    "Having house cured meats is wondrous?"
    Is this because you never have to cook another dinner?
    "A head up on every game in town". Are you in competition with other Deli owners(assuming you are)?
    Are Deli meats different today? Is this all about a guy or City name Deli?
    Do you allow Deli dancing?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

Would you mind clarifying on the last paragraph?
    Do you own a deli? Is it in the same building as your residence, i.e. the first floor?
    "Having house cured meats is wondrous?"
    Is this because you never have to cook another dinner?
    "A head up on every game in town". Are you in competition with other Deli owners(assuming you are)?
    Are Deli meats different today? Is this all about a guy or City name Deli?
    Do you allow Deli dancing?
    God do you ever shut the fuck up and go away?

Load Metric
    I'm going to install a mosaic tile backsplash in the kitchen this spring.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy Collins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    You think its laminate?

Looks like hardwood to me
    Shouldn't we get PFA's resident hardwood floor expert Garrett on the case?
    It's laminate 2 1/4 by 3/4 inch laminate. Also lol Weiss, you did way too much unnecessary work. There was no need to have prepped your concrete slab and waste all the time and effort scraping the glue up, when you were planning on laying down a floating laminate floor. Only if you were going to do a glue down do you go to that extent to prep the concrete slab. And in Colorado, which is a State with low humidity solid 3/4 wood is the only way to go. I know its expensive though you baller.

It's not hard to install a prefinished wood floor, any out or work carpenter or handy type who owns a miter saw/Table saw, can figure out how to cut a 45 and a 22 and a half. Point is, anyone can do it. The real money in wood floors, and the niche market is sanding and finishing. Pooh obviously knows what he is talking about he is spot on so far. But 15k for a prefinished floor in Florida unless its like 3k+ Sq Ft including the lumber, is a lot.

Which is actually where hiring a flooring contractor can get scammy. Many people charge a really big markup on the lumber, unbeknownst to you, bc they are taking on the liability of having to buy the materials, cost of labor etc, and will not see a profit until the end of the job. What many flooring contractors tend to do with doing simple prefinish installations like this, is have the homeowner/consumer actually buy the materials themselves and just charge them per sq. ft. for the labor. Usually in the $1-$1.50 range to just do the labor. Its actually better that way, bc you do not have to take on the added costs of buying the thousands of dollars worth of material before the job starts and not getting it back or seeing profit till the end of the job. We take 50% on the start of the job 50% upon completion to mitigate some of that risk. Although scummy people are out there, and sometimes try and nickle and dime you on the end. Par for the course, everyone trying to get a little something for nothing. Not overly wealthy people, but most low/mid income work over a big enough sample you tend to find this type of stuff.

The real niche work and basically where the real money is at in wood floors, isn't doing this type of pre-finish installation stuff. Its literally in sanding and refinishing existing solid wood floors. Thats a skilled labor job, and no out of work contractor or homeowner really don't want to be bothered because it is such a dirty, and labor intensive job which works in your favor because they are more than willing and happy to pay you many thousands of dollars to do it for them. So Sanding and Refinishing is way more +EV then doing installations, where you have tons of extra costs and liabilities, and sometimes don't see a profit on that money/job for weeks down the road. Esp if working for "net 30" type communities, like large apartment complexes, where they only pay you on the work done 30 days down the road, so are always ahead on you. And that is not good, especially for the small business guy who needs that operating capital.

Not bad Weiss, but not all that great. You didn't get close enough to the wall on the right. They make a jam saw to undercut your trim, so you can slide a rip in there along the wall so there is less space between your wall and the floor. Assuming your planning on using 3/4 quarter round, it looks like some of your spacing there is very close. Nothing shoddier looking then a floor with open spaces around the trim/wall because the installer doesn't know how to tuck the rips and run the floor all the way tight up against the wall. Basically you are too far off the wall, and could use a rip in there. Glue it down though since your going to say the tongue and groove doesn't fit structurally.

Load Metric

Hardwood/Marble etc are the way to go with animals and kids. Carpets get dust mites/mold spores/stain and are generally unhealthy and bad for people with kids/animals. Also a nice selling point for trying to convince people to spend the extra money, to do a wood floor etc. My hunch is your installer bought Lumber Liquidator SHIT product, for dirt cheap.

Just as an FYI people, NEVER use Scumber Liquidators, they sell the cheapest, shittiest, structurally unsound garbage lumber. And that is why it is dirt cheap. Yea it may be ~$1.00-1.50 a sq ft for the material, but its long run value isnt there. You really do get what you pay for in terms of materials when dealing with wood floors. And on prefinish products, especially BAMBOO, you want aluminum oxide 20 year guaranteed finish/product.

Stay away from Scumber Liquidators!!!!!

Comments

Pooh: lol. nice read. guilty as charged. never again!
    Last edited by garrett; 01-31-2015 at 07:07 AM.

Load Metric
    Today I got bored and used some spare carpet and wood and pvc to make a cat tower/hammock/ball play thingy

It took about 8 hours. I know, tight life, but job well done imo for using scraps

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  117.1 KB
Views: 610
Size:  135.7 KB
Views: 540
Size:  116.5 KB
Views: 637
Size:  102.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  99.8 KB

Comments

simpdog: I hate cats

Hockey Guy: What simpm said but I have a cat but that's pretty cool.

vegas1369: U dun gud

OSA: thats adorable.

gimmick:

BCR: Fuck Phantom. This I might be able to do given 2 full days

Load Metric
    had a concrete slab and slide in backyard decided to wing it and build the kids a cubby house

Comments

vegas1369: Best dad ever rep

4Dragons: i'm moving in rep

jsearles22: Nice

splitthis: Men working on projects makes me horny

gimmick:

BCR: Very cool

Load Metric
    one upper

Load Metric
    I've done a lot of things to my house but now they will all look like shit compared to Mr. fucking 'Dad of the year'

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Fail View Post
    I've done a lot of things to my house but now they will all look like shit compared to Mr. fucking 'Dad of the year'
    Exactly.

/thread

Load Metric
    My wife had been searching for the proper coatrack to keep in our foyer, to no avail. We have lots of jackets, I guess. So I built her a custom.

Clean chain, a ceiling hanging anchor, and some wooden hangers.

Name:  IMAG2677.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  828.4 KB

Name:  IMAG2684.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  846.0 KB

Comments

4Dragons: lol, FIN

Load Metric

Almost finished but functional. Polyurethane coat needed on trim. Locking door to downstairs so I have privacy with my new tenant.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Diamond
    Load Metric
    I tried installing my 2 security cameras but the hammer drill wont go through brick. Just thinking of paying $40 to some dude but that's the last resort.

Here is the link to cameras: http://www.amazon.com/Defender-Digit...efender+camera

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post
    I tried installing my 2 security cameras but the hammer drill wont go through brick. Just thinking of paying $40 to some dude but that's the last resort.

Here is the link to cameras: http://www.amazon.com/Defender-Digit...efender+camera

So if i'm reading this correctly, you want a guy to come over for $40 to put a glory hole in your brick wall so you can film it?

Thread Information