Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High School Coach suspended after 161-2 win

Bronze
    Load Metric

High School Coach suspended after 161-2 win

They suspended the wrong coach. They should have suspended the coach that wheeled out a team that could only score 2 points in a game.

The culture of competitiveness in this country is crumbling. We now think its ok to give kids trophies for losing as to not hurt anyone's feelings

No wonder many 18-28 years olds are mindless drifters wanting to fight in Syria. They have zero competitive spirit and pissed off all the time because they get their ass kicked by better, smarter people who got trophies legitimately.

We have a culture of Takers and its getting worse.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/story...ames-161-2-win

Comments

Serial Fail: You're quite stupid

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Soccer?

Lol the Syria connection. People oppressed and murdered by their own.

Load Metric
    Arroyo Valley 161 - Bloomington 2 in girls basketball

I wonder, is that the same Bloomington High that set a high school football scoring record under Coach Don Markham back in 1994? It would be ironic if it was...

Bloomington ran the double wing t offense, and scored 880 points in a 14 win 0 loss season, and had several blow out wins...they had 4 players that got division 1 scholarships and played against high schools that had small student enrollments, thus there was a huge talent mismatch in each game...because Bloomington had only 16 players on the team the starters/top subs played the whole game...the scoring record was set even though many games had running clocks the entire 2nd half

http://www.pe.com/articles/markham-6...on-bruins.html
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 01-16-2015 at 09:39 PM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The coach should be fired imo cause a kid made a basket to fade them from being shutout.

Load Metric
    Quit trying to act hard seth, the coach is an asshole.

Load Metric
    If it was mentally challenged toddlers playing i could see the suspension being almost ok.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmick View Post
    If it was mentally challenged toddlers playing i could see the suspension being almost ok.

Comments

JACKDANIELS: 3 days for etreme toddlerisim

Load Metric
    kids being coddled too much these days.

The losing coach should be fired. How can you not get to double digits?

Load Metric
    You know whoever scored the 2 on that team is feeling good though
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Only God can judge me. So either LOVE ME or LEAVE ME ALONE"

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Load Metric
    Looks like the opposing coach has no clue either

"People shouldn’t feel sorry for my team," opposing coach Dale Chung of Bloomington High told The Sporting News. "They should feel sorry for his (Anderson’s) team, which isn’t learning the game the right way." - See more at: http://yahoo.thepostgame.com/blog/he....vLz47xvp.dpuf
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Load Metric
    161 - 2?

At least the losing team got a safety. Those things are hard to come by.
    Save a Cow - Eat a Vegetarian, they're grass-fed.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertstemple View Post
    161 - 2?

wat?

It was basketball

Comments

tyde: LOL I was wondering who would be dumb enough to fall for that. keep up the good work Weiss

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTIFIEDhomicide View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertstemple View Post
    161 - 2?

wat?

It was basketball
    Do you even understand the concept of humor?

Unless you're leveling us then

touche
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTIFIEDhomicide View Post

wat?

It was basketball
    Do you even understand the concept of humor?

Unless you're leveling us then

touche

That's what passes for humor? I'm pretty sure Herbert is old and thought it was football.

Load Metric

Banned
    Load Metric
    Last year I read a book called "David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants". It wasn't a very good book, but it had an interesting story about an Indian man who coached his daughter's middle school basketball team. He took his team to the state championship with an inferior squad by using unusual tactics like full court pressing in the early game. During their run, lots of parents filed complaints because the girls weren't "playing right". In the final, the refs took over the game and refused to let the girls play such aggressive defense. They ended up losing because the opponent shot a hundred free throws or something absurd like that.

What a shitty lesson. Don't try to be creative or innovative, even within the rules. This suspension offers an even worse lesson: don't try. Because doing your best makes other people feel bad.

This sort of coddling does nobody any good. Forbidding a child from playing in the park or getting their ass kicked at basketball may prevent some scraped knees and bruised egos in the short term, but robs them of valuable life experience. I've seen the sheltered kids grow up to be helpless and naive adults. It's sad.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I'm not for this suspension, but I think everyone is angry that the winning team's coach continued to employ a super-aggressive style when the game was obviously a super-blowout.

It's more of a sportsmanship thing, rather than a "don't try to win" thing.

This even exists in the pros.

Major League teams/managers are criticized when a player steals 2nd base when his team is up 13-1 in the 9th.

NBA teams are criticized for trying to score on a final short possession if way up, such as when they get the ball with 8 seconds left in a 110-93 game.

So it can't be said that you always give 100% to score the maximum number of points in sports. If they don't do it in the pros, they shouldn't do it anywhere else.

Now, here's what I DON'T think should be expected of the winning coach.

He shouldn't be expected to pull his regular players when way up (unless he just wants to give his reserves some time to play).

He shouldn't be expected to instruct his players not to shoot the ball.

He shouldn't be expected to instruct his players to "play softer" or allow the other team to score.

However, the correct play in this blowout game would have been abandoning the full-court press, and just reverting to a more standard, less-aggressive strategy -- like a pickup basketball game.

He still shouldn't have been suspended, though.

BTW, these super blowouts are most common with girls' teams. There seems to be a bigger difference in skill between good and bad girls' teams than good and bad boys' teams. I think it's because good female athletes are more rare than good male athletes, so a team full of good female athletes is likely to really crush it at the high school level.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    Last year I read a book called "David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants". It wasn't a very good book, but it had an interesting story about an Indian man who coached his daughter's middle school basketball team. He took his team to the state championship with an inferior squad by using unusual tactics like full court pressing in the early game. During their run, lots of parents filed complaints because the girls weren't "playing right". In the final, the refs took over the game and refused to let the girls play such aggressive defense. They ended up losing because the opponent shot a hundred free throws or something absurd like that.

What a shitty lesson. Don't try to be creative or innovative, even within the rules. This suspension offers an even worse lesson: don't try. Because doing your best makes other people feel bad.

This sort of coddling does nobody any good. Forbidding a child from playing in the park or getting their ass kicked at basketball may prevent some scraped knees and bruised egos in the short term, but robs them of valuable life experience. I've seen the sheltered kids grow up to be helpless and naive adults. It's sad.
    What is so unusual about full court pressing-- surely there is more, was he using other tactics as well?

I officiate high school basketball as an avocation. I certainly understand and agree that America has developed a soft mentality. With that said, I have overseen many a blowout. My 19 years of experience tell me he deserves a suspension. The score at halftime was 104-1. The article states the coach full court pressed the entire first half. There is absolutely zero excuse to pressure full court when the score is like 80-1.

As an official we talked to the captains and the coaches about sportsmanship before every game. I do not see what is sporting about full court pressing a team that can not get the ball across half court. The game is already decided and your players are not getting good experience/practice because the competition is inferior. You are just trying to embarrass your opponent. Mission accomplished

Comments

Dan Druff: yup

Daly: Looks good in stripes rep

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrainkoja View Post
    What is so unusual about full court pressing-- surely there is more, was he using other tactics as well
    It was probably something more nuanced than that. I'm not very knowledgeable about basketball. It was something opponents found unorthodox and confusing, but still within the rules... until it wasn't.

Load Metric
    Why even put a team out there like that? I can't even imagine how wretched they have to be. The coach that didn't forfeit after the first half is dumber then the one who ran it up imo. I also think the coaches that let one of their star players run up 100 points by herself are even more despicable.

Thread Information