Having lived in Florida until I graduated from Florida State and then immediately moving to Vegas, I never lived anywhere with a train or subway system.

I have never ridden on a train before in my life and it was always one of those things I wanted to experience.

I have all the free time in the world these days and have decided I want to travel and that I'm at the point in my life where I can do a lot of the things I have always thought of doing.

I recently came across a trip report on some site about Amtrak's cross country route from Los Angeles to Chicago.

They were other long routes reviewed as well but the LA to Chicago seemed by far the most popular.

I was shocked to read the the vast majority of people rides these for the experience and not as a means to get to a destination. They go for the sight seeing, the camaraderie of those they meet, and the over all experience.

I've read reviews from people that takes trains (for no other purpose than the experience) 6-7 times a year and as primary platforms for their vacation.

Has anyone on here done this?

From my brief reading, I determined if I did this I would definitely want a bedliner with a shower and sink, even though some say its better (yet less comfortable) to ride coach so you can meet people and be apart of the overall experience with others versus being away in your own room for part of the trip.

The LA to Chicago trip is 2 and a half days. From my readings, I notice the food is not great, but you can bring your own as well as beverages. But that's not an issue to me.

For me, if would be the experience of taking a long train ride, seeing parts of the country I probably never would in my lifetime and of course hopefully meeting some interesting people.

I already decided that if I do this, I would do it alone. I don't want to bring my girlfriend or a buddy. This would be for me.

My readings also told me that a lot of young people take these trains. There is a bar on the train and drinking, card playing, and partying among the young is prevalent in coach.

If I did this I would probably pick the route from LA to Chicago, spend a few days there and then fly back to Vegas (even though you can actually transfer from Chicago and end up in NYC grand central station 36 hours later.

Appreciate input and any insight if any of you have does this or something similar.

ZOD