Thread: Question about taking a long train ride

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Load Metric

Question about taking a long train ride

Having lived in Florida until I graduated from Florida State and then immediately moving to Vegas, I never lived anywhere with a train or subway system.

I have never ridden on a train before in my life and it was always one of those things I wanted to experience.

I have all the free time in the world these days and have decided I want to travel and that I'm at the point in my life where I can do a lot of the things I have always thought of doing.

I recently came across a trip report on some site about Amtrak's cross country route from Los Angeles to Chicago.

They were other long routes reviewed as well but the LA to Chicago seemed by far the most popular.

I was shocked to read the the vast majority of people rides these for the experience and not as a means to get to a destination. They go for the sight seeing, the camaraderie of those they meet, and the over all experience.

I've read reviews from people that takes trains (for no other purpose than the experience) 6-7 times a year and as primary platforms for their vacation.

Has anyone on here done this?

From my brief reading, I determined if I did this I would definitely want a bedliner with a shower and sink, even though some say its better (yet less comfortable) to ride coach so you can meet people and be apart of the overall experience with others versus being away in your own room for part of the trip.

The LA to Chicago trip is 2 and a half days. From my readings, I notice the food is not great, but you can bring your own as well as beverages. But that's not an issue to me.

For me, if would be the experience of taking a long train ride, seeing parts of the country I probably never would in my lifetime and of course hopefully meeting some interesting people.

I already decided that if I do this, I would do it alone. I don't want to bring my girlfriend or a buddy. This would be for me.

My readings also told me that a lot of young people take these trains. There is a bar on the train and drinking, card playing, and partying among the young is prevalent in coach.

If I did this I would probably pick the route from LA to Chicago, spend a few days there and then fly back to Vegas (even though you can actually transfer from Chicago and end up in NYC grand central station 36 hours later.

Appreciate input and any insight if any of you have does this or something similar.

ZOD

Load Metric
    the union station la train to san diego for the del mar races is fun but thats summer basically find one with a beverage car

Load Metric
    btw does one reaaaaaaaallly graduate from fsu in the mid 90s or was it more of a check and like 3 papers written kind of thing

Comments

tony bagadonuts: stfu

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lol wow View Post
    btw does one reaaaaaaaallly graduate from fsu in the mid 90s or was it more of a check and like 3 papers written kind of thing
    Graduated from FSU in 1999. Real talk: took me 5 and a half years to graduate. Spent the first 1.5-2 years excessively partying, smoking pot among other vices. Was WITHOUT A DOUBT the best years of my life. I regret none of it.

I was also there through the entirety of FSU football dominance where they finished no lower than 4 in the AP bowl for like 14 straight years. They played in 4 natonal championships in the 5 years I was there.

True story... The night that Sebastian Janokowski was drafted in the first round by the Raiders, I was with him watching him get drafted live at a pub in Tallahassee. I wasn't buddies with him directly, but was friends with someone close to him. He couldn't make it to NY for the draft because he was out on bond after being arrested for being in possession of GHB and part of his pre-trial release was that he couldn't leave the county.

We ended up getting silly drunk, played Golden Tee, foosball, and Blitz (old school football game) during the draft and then heading back to Chris Weinke's house for a huge party afterwards.

Load Metric
    have taken amtrak from Chicago to St Lou to go see Phish. 6 hr trip, outlet next to my seat by the window, so I could do work. Seat was comfortable. car was quiet. Bar was behind me by 20 ft and had lots of options, including food. $48 rt to Lou.

Greyhound on the otherhand, was Ghastly. Took it to Nashville to see Widespread Panic. What a shithole. Never again.

Load Metric
    plan your rest room visits...can't use toilet while train is in the station

(remember your parents telling you not to play near railroad tracks--now you know why)
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK Star View Post
    have taken amtrak from Chicago to St Lou to go see Phish. 6 hr trip, outlet next to my seat by the window, so I could do work. Seat was comfortable. car was quiet. Bar was behind me by 20 ft and had lots of options, including food. $48 rt to Lou.

Greyhound on the otherhand, was Ghastly. Took it to Nashville to see Widespread Panic. What a shithole. Never again.
    How long ago was the greyhound trip? That sounds like some very poor decision making on all fronts.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Sounds like a fun trip and would like to hear stories from others who have done something similar as well.

Load Metric
    wailwoad

Load Metric
    Did loads of long train journeys round Europe when I was young. 'twas great.
    Now I'm old and fat I take cruises instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiganer View Post
    Did loads of long train journeys round Europe when I was young. 'twas great.
    Now I'm old and fat I take cruises instead.

Try consider this Drexel.

You can purchase a one month/6 week pass and travel across most of Europe. Would take in some amazing scenery and experience a bunch of different cultures at the same time.

Lots of people do it on a backpackers budget, staying in cheap hotels and stuff.... But fuck that... if you enjoy your creature comforts and want to do it in a bit of style - then that can be easily be achieved on a modest amount of Dollars.

Would gain way more from it imo.

Start here

http://uk.voyages-sncf.com/en/be-inspired/scenic-rail
    http://pnimg.net/w/articles-attachments/1/4c2/74d75c36d2.jpg

Thread Information