Thread: Pay that college athlete his money

Load Metric

Pay that college athlete his money

Ah, the purity of college athletics. The biggest fraud in sports.

This is so similar to the Olympic athlete nonsense that existed years ago on some levels.

Oliver Luck, father of Andrew Luck, took a position last week as NCAA's new executive vice president for regulatory affairs. He is now number 2 at the NCAA. The number 1 guy's contract runs out 2017.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  48.5 KB

I am surprised this hasn't gotten any traction in the press.

Oliver Luck's resume makes him an absolute stud
    The former star quarterback and Rhodes Scholar finalist at West Virginia went on to play five seasons in the NFL. After earning his law degree, Luck became a team executive with two different franchises in the European-based World League of American Football. He was later named CEO of NFL Europe, the successor to the WLAF, and also served as president of the Major League Soccer's Houston Dynamo. In 2008, he was appointed to West Virginia University's board of governors and took over as the athletic director in 2010, where he heard plenty of complaints about the NCAA.

The NCAA (actually NorthWestern) lost the labor case which allows players to unionize. It's in appeal.

The NCAA lost the court case allowing players to be paid for NIL (names, images & likeness - i.e. EA Sports etc)

Harbaugh gets $8 million a year and some schmuck cornerback or pitcher gets busted for a $100 autograph. Well, that will soon end.

Earlier this year, Luck said players had a "constitutional right" to be compensated for the use of their names, images or likenesses. On Thursday, he called it a "fundamental right."

Now it's just a question of how to implement payment and this will be Lucks job. Some schools have already set aside trusts for payment.

Unfortunately, the timing of sportsbetting arguments in NJ is a little early.

The United States Third Circuit Court of Appeals has set a deadline for the New Jersey Attorney General’s office as well as the NCAA and sports leagues involved in the sports betting case In New Jersey, giving a deadline for filing briefs on both sides. The Attorney General’s office has until the 14th of this month to file a brief for the case while the leagues have until the 13th of February to reply.

The NCAA as big business will become much more transparent and any cries that betting will taint its purity during these proceedings will become increasingly laughable. Besides, the schools need the money they would most likely rake off the handle.

Interesting how Luck will weigh in on this.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 01-05-2015 at 12:08 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The guy looks like Henry Winkler.

Anyway, I agree that college athletics are a huge fraud.

They do need to pay these guys.

The joke of the whole thing is that they are supposedly being paid by their "education" (lol -- most of them are not academic types and get by through rigged courses), as well as the claim that college athletics is supposed to be a pure competition of students from each college, not a minor league for professional sports.

But it's a complete joke.

At least (in most cases), high school athletics is truly a competition of students who happen to go to school at each campus.

But college athletics is all about money now, and the recruitment process has become insane. Once schools started seeking athletes who otherwise wouldn't have met the schools academic qualifications, the purity of college sports was lost forever.

Failure to pay college athletes is partially about greed, and partially about maintaining the brilliant facade that you're watching legitimate students from your alma mater, rather than minor league NBA/NFL.

That's also why I never had an interest in college athletics. To me it's just a lesser version of the pro sports, with the teams being colleges which acquired these players through artificial recruiting methods.

So why do I like the pro sports, when teams like my beloved Dodgers are also simply buying players from out of the area?

Because at least I'm watching the best players compete with one another, and there's really no facade that these guys are actually from or associated with the city of Los Angeles. Sure, it's a nice bonus when the Dodgers sign a local guy (or acquire a former local such as Adrian Gonzalez), but it's not a big deal to me.

I'm not criticizing others for liking college sports. Maybe if I went to a college with a bigger sports program, I'd feel differently. But at the very least, pay these kids for all the money they generate for the school.

A star college athlete who suffers a career-ending injury right before he goes pro will have made big $ for the school, and yet will have benefited zero from his "education" and walk away empty handed. And that's wrong.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Anyway, I agree that college athletics are a huge fraud.

They do need to pay these guys.

The joke of the whole thing is that they are supposedly being paid by their "education" (lol -- most of them are not academic types and get by through rigged courses), as well as the claim that college athletics is supposed to be a pure competition of students from each college, not a minor league for professional sports.

But it's a complete joke.

At least (in most cases), high school athletics is truly a competition of students who happen to go to school at each campus.

But college athletics is all about money now, and the recruitment process has become insane. Once schools started seeking athletes who otherwise wouldn't have met the schools academic qualifications, the purity of college sports was lost forever.

Failure to pay college athletes is partially about greed, and partially about maintaining the brilliant facade that you're watching legitimate students from your alma mater, rather than minor league NBA/NFL.

That's also why I never had an interest in college athletics. To me it's just a lesser version of the pro sports, with the teams being colleges which acquired these players through artificial recruiting methods.

So why do I like the pro sports, when teams like my beloved Dodgers are also simply buying players from out of the area?

Because at least I'm watching the best players compete with one another, and there's really no facade that these guys are actually from or associated with the city of Los Angeles. Sure, it's a nice bonus when the Dodgers sign a local guy (or acquire a former local such as Adrian Gonzalez), but it's not a big deal to me.

I'm not criticizing others for liking college sports. Maybe if I went to a college with a bigger sports program, I'd feel differently. But at the very least, pay these kids for all the money they generate for the school.

A star college athlete who suffers a career-ending injury right before he goes pro will have made big $ for the school, and yet will have benefited zero from his "education" and walk away empty handed. And that's wrong.
    He might possibly be on the hook for his medical expenses as well.

Agree with everything else you said, including the not following college sports. I'll watch bowl games and march madness etc but otherwise don't follow too closely.

Mandatory video link:

Load Metric
    Thread aged nicely

Here’s an unexpected consequence for ya. In Massachusetts high school athletes can do NIL deals. You can retain an agent.

Imagine getting paid by a car dealership or local restaurant in high school. I literally can’t.

Lotta stars gonna wrap their new car around a tree figuratively and literally.

I was all about college athletes getting paid but wow.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Literally no controls in place, NIL is a shit show.

Load Metric
    Ncaa athletics make obscene amounts of money and athletes should be monetarily compensated.

Load Metric
    The Death of College Sports Will Be Fast and Furious:' The Scandal That Could Kill the NCAA

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...aa/ar-BB1krDj4

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    The guy looks like Henry Winkler.

The thing is that a college education today is not worth nearly what it used to be. They are given away today. The country is becoming saturated with college educated people. A college education in 1950 meant much more than today. Back then it was a fair trade for the athlete.
    Tradition is a set of solutions for which we have forgotten the problems.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post
    Literally no controls in place, NIL is a shit show.

Its becoming more organized as time moves on. There is now a funnel from donors to a centralized board on each campus who then allocates to players.

At the same time schools are working together in the background as to not get played by the players. The NFL has taken interest.

Here is one you wont read about in the papers.

Marvin Harrison Jr was offered an obscene amount of NIL money to not declare and play one more year at Ohio State (who just lost to Michigan who won the NC). The amount was said to be as high as $40M. Harrison wouldn't earn that much in the NFL until his first free agent contract 5 years from now.

The NFL learned of this, some said they were consulted, and came down on Ohio State and said absolutely fucking not.

Load Metric
    Supreme Court gonna cancel the NCAA

Thread Information