Thread: Grantland article: Don't realign NBA conferences, because current model makes regular season better

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Grantland article: Don't realign NBA conferences, because current model makes regular season better

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/a-...nces-just-yet/

Interesting article.

It concedes the fact that there are too many strong teams in the West (a longstanding situation, pretty much constant since the Jordan Bulls were disbanded.

This might be the worst year for lopsided conferences, as the West has 8 legit title contenders, plus two decent playoff-worthy squads (New Orleans, Phoenix) who will likely miss the playoffs. At the same time, the East has 5 good teams and then a huge dropoff, with the 8th seed likely to have an especially bad record.

However, the Grantland article says that this makes the regular season in the West more exciting, as you will have eight relatively equal teams jockeying for position, as well as two other wannabes knocking on their door.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I do have to say that this is the best NBA season I've seen in a long time, because it is not predictable. There are no dominant superteams. Even the ones with great records like Golden State have weaknesses and may slip at any time. At the same time, there are 13 high quality squads out there at the moment (well, 12 if you don't count the Cavaliers, which will only get worse with Lebron out), and it's anyone's guess who will be in the NBA Finals this year.

I do think that an 82-game season is pointless if 16 teams are going to make the postseason.

Banned
    Load Metric
    off topic here and im not a basketball guy really but maybe someone can help me with this? the knicks are only popular because of NYC right? they havent won shit since like the 70s but they act like the garden is the holy grail of arenas. im sure they are hella profitable and all that but they have got to be one of the most over hyped franchises in american sports right? i guess the cubs have an argument as well but it just blows my mind.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Would be stupid to realign the conferences because one is stronger. Eventually it evens out or one takes over. It was like this with the nfl from the mid 80s into the late 90s and eventually things just changed

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    http://grantland.com/the-triangle/a-...nces-just-yet/

Interesting article.

It concedes the fact that there are too many strong teams in the West (a longstanding situation, pretty much constant since the Jordan Bulls were disbanded.

This might be the worst year for lopsided conferences, as the West has 8 legit title contenders, plus two decent playoff-worthy squads (New Orleans, Phoenix) who will likely miss the playoffs. At the same time, the East has 5 good teams and then a huge dropoff, with the 8th seed likely to have an especially bad record.

However, the Grantland article says that this makes the regular season in the West more exciting, as you will have eight relatively equal teams jockeying for position, as well as two other wannabes knocking on their door.
    Name:  bilde.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  35.4 KB

Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 156
Size:  972.9 KB

Comments

lewfather: rofl

Thread Information