Thread: When will the higher education bubble burst

Load Metric

When will the higher education bubble burst

I am guessing right about now.

Kids spending way too much for marginal diplomas.

Crushed by debt that will remind them of their parent's upside down mortgage.

Kids are just gonna default anyway.

When will industry start screening for skill & aptitude and train?

Online education can't be any worse than state schools.

Some of these colleges need to shut down and stop diluting the meaning of bowl games.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

When will industry start screening for skill & aptitude and train?

Online education can't be any worse than state schools.

Some of these colleges need to shut down and stop diluting the meaning of bowl games.
    When it's only absolutely necessary for their profit margin. Won't be too soon, who knows?

Load Metric

U of Colorado law professor Paul Campos started a watershed blog on this very topic, only that Campos examined the problem from a law school angle instead of undergrad. Lots of marginal schools out there just existing off of the federal government loan programs and the related laws protecting private lenders from discharged student debt via bankruptcy.

Inside the Law School Scam....If you look at the 2011-2012 archives you'll find a lot of young attorneys crying that they can't find a decent paying job anywhere and they are stuck with $150,000++ in non-dischargeable student debt. The problem is now spreading its tentacles into the undergrad arena, apparently.

Load Metric
    Undergrad is already bursting which inadvertedly has lead to a graduate school bubble. I have a friend who completed his post doc in inorganic chemistry over in Europe and now teaches in high school. Returned to Canada and couldn't find work.
    Last edited by BetCheckBet; 12-31-2014 at 07:05 AM.

Load Metric
    Its funny because about ten years ago I attended a presentation from our minister of education at the time, Bob rea, everyone was talking about how to help student debt and get more students into university. One prof stood up and stated the problem has not funding but that half his class shouldn't be there. Sadly no one really listened.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Cuban thinks very soon, just read an article where he said housing type crash is inevitable.

Load Metric
    I graduated 11 years ago with an Econ degree and I'm still paying for that shit. It gets compounded by the fact that most people(me included) will defer their loans for a few years while looking for the career job they went to college for but never find. The whole time the loans are steadily compounding interest.

Load Metric
    You mean getting 200k in loans to get a degree in "Czechoslovakian History" isn't worth it?

If it wasn't for the government, no bank would loan students this amount of money unless it was a degree that had high job placement. For example, doctor, high level engineer etc etc. The whole thing is so obviously a scam to any thinking person that it is amazing how many "educated" parents are still brainwashed. Before a kid is even born, parents are discussing a "college fund."
    :freelewfather

Load Metric
    jack daniels parents called it a bollege gund and look how he turned out NOT GREAT YALL

Comments

tony bagadonuts: Gay gare...you're just weak bro. Weren't you a good poster once?

Corrigan: horrible

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    Its funny because about ten years ago I attended a presentation from our minister of education at the time, Bob rea, everyone was talking about how to help student debt and get more students into university. One prof stood up and stated the problem has not funding but that half his class shouldn't be there. Sadly no one really listened.
    Not sure how I missed it BetCheckBet, but I never realized you were from Ontario or even Canada for that matter.

Student debt nowadays is ridiculous & the bubble has been here a long time & as long as everyone continues to be brainwashed into believing that you need a college or university education to escape poverty, University of Phoenix anyone, it will continue. There's lots of good paying jobs that will train you & send you to school for them, unfortunately for today's youth, none of them are video game testers.

Like shortbuspoker, I'm university educated & it did absolutely nothing for me except help to begin my adult life with crushing debt.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    I go to a lot of college baseball games. I always chat up the college kids sitting around me.

Lotta college kids hanging around my house during Christmas break too (raiding my liquor).

What I am hearing is "college ain't worth it" & "you gotta be retarded if you can't graduate - it's a joke". They are very much aware of the insane cost.

I am the guy telling them how important it all is - as much for the experience & contacts as the education. They have the attitude that getting their ticket punched is just a ridiculous life toll they have to pay. They just dismiss me.

This is a sign of a change. We never said such a thing in my time.

A lot has to do with the knowledge & frustration that they are fucked in this economy trying to land a job after graduation.

Online education (or some mix of brick & mortar & online) especially through state schools will prolly be a catalyst to some shift next ten years IMO.

I always get a kick out of hearing, "I went to university" from Canadians. That and zed for Z.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 12-31-2014 at 01:14 PM.

Load Metric
    I always get a kick out of hearing, "I went to university" from Canadians. That and zed for Z.
    I have no idea what you're babbling aboot.

eh!

Comments

GrenadaRoger: maybe you would if you'd gone to college--but your better off debt free imho
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    If you think that's bad, the for-profit college model is even worse.

Those are an actual scam.

Corinthian Colleges (recently defunct) was the worst, but there are many other terrible ones, including ITT.

http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/...tigation/?_r=0

It is no longer a secret that some companies profit by misleading and exploiting poor, vulnerable students. And as David Halperin writes in his e-book, “Stealing America’s Future: How For-Profit Colleges Scam Taxpayers and Ruin Students’ Lives” the problem with the for-profit model as many companies practice it is quite clear. Tuition is far too high, as compared to public community colleges that students could attend; too many of the students admitted are incapable of succeeding in the programs; the programs and their job placement efforts are often weak and have deservedly poor reputations.

All this means that many students never get jobs at the salary levels they expect. When they default on their loans, as they often do, they leave taxpayers holding the bag and their financial lives in ruins. The outrageous part is that these companies are allowed to leech off the federal government, getting as much as 90 percent of their revenue from federal coffers.
    Unfortunately much of this is the fault of the American left.

Fearing that education was only in reach to the middle class and above, lots of generous student loan/grant laws were passed, and there was insufficient oversight for how this money would be spent. This gave rise to scam schools like Corinthian, who would trick poor people into enrolling, sucking up the maximum the government would pay for them. These students would then graduated with no real skills and worthless degrees and find themselves unable to get jobs.

Another problem, unrelated to the for-profit model referenced above, is the fact that a college diploma is now used as a litmus test to judge a young person's level of responsibility and ability to complete tasks. So many employers would rather hire a person with an unrelated-to-the-field 4-year degree than a high school graduate. And that makes people pressured to get the 4-year degree, even in something useless in the job market like English or sociology.

Load Metric
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  51.1 KB

Obama to propose free community college
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...lege/21466969/

It's free for the students but not free to you.

After the trillions wasted on Iraq & Afghanistan I'd prefer it wasted here.

Can't wait to see if some sort of brown shirt conscription into the Obama corps will be required.

Thread Information