Thread: The in laws

Load Metric

The in laws

My inlaws are very nice but frugal people. Mainly because they have been retired for many years and are now on social security without a nest egg to draw on. Not a big deal, it is what it is.

They have been visiting the past two weeks and every time we went out to eat or I took them to the store for something they wanted I picked up the tab. Again not that big a deal but literaly every time. About a week ago my FIL says they want to go out to a steak Resturaunt to say thank you. So yesterday afternoon my wife makes a reservation.... Then shows the menu to MIL and says no becuase "A steak starts at $37 and that's crazy". She looks up a few more and every time it's the same thing. So after 15 min of frustration I say "let's just go to outback". My MIL gets a prime rib. My FIL gets the prime rib and lobster. My wife and I split an Alice springs chicken (I had stomach surgery, so not a big deal).

Check comes and my FIL says "want to flip for it". Then after about 5-10 sec of uncomfortable silence says "thanks how much is it so I can leave the top".

Merry Christmas!

The worst part about it is you can hear a pin drop in here right now. My wife is furious... Already asked me to take them to the airport tomorrow three times because she is so pissed.

Load Metric
    Sounds like he really respects you!

If either of you call him out for being a bum, then its pretty much game over.... The relationship your wife has with her parents will never be the same again.. And that can't be an option.

Just put this one down to experience and have a strategy ready for future visits etc..
    http://pnimg.net/w/articles-attachments/1/4c2/74d75c36d2.jpg

Gold
    Load Metric
    The variables of dealing with the in laws are not quantifiable, some good some bad but it can go to pure pain forever if you don't play the game

Comments

Daly: One who understands rep

Load Metric
    I don't see how you can get mad or give a shit If there hurting for money. If they had a bunch of money of course you would have great reason to be pissed off but there living off ss and nothing else each month they probably just don't have the extra cash for dinners ect ect, But wtf @ offering to take you guy's for a steak dinner and then bitching about price and then getting you to pay, that's some lame shit right there.

Comments

1marley1: huh?

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    you clearly invited them to Outback. SFO!

Comments

Daly: Or course I did rep!

Load Metric
    You may consider moving up Anal Sex Night a few days and leave the bedroom door open.

The ride to the airport prolly won't be your problem anymore.

Just thinking outside the box.

Comments

big dick: LOLOLOLOL

ToasterOven: "outside the box" pun

Daly: That didn't stop me.... But the door stayed closed
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 12-30-2014 at 06:45 PM.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Really kind of a shitty move on your wife's part. You basically already acknowledged they are basically broke and living check to check. So she suggests the equivalent of Mortons? Really? Did you not expect them to get sticker shock at a $300 check when they are broke?

Outback was the only choice and maybe Longhorn. Now it was a total douche move for Father In Law to get basically the highest price entrée going in, but here again you probably already knew the guy was fairly douchey going into the arrangement.

Why the fuck did you have them there for two weeks anyway? 4 days max. It kinda sounds like your wife is calling the shots in your household.

Load Metric
    Unless there was some huge misunderstanding about the meal between you and the ILs, I don't blame you for being pissed. Doubt pops is suffering from dementia.

But really, what can you say to them. Take them to the airport, you will be very happy when they are gone.

Make plans for next year. This should be an every other year obligation at best.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Really kind of a shitty move on your wife's part. You basically already acknowledged they are basically broke and living check to check. So she suggests the equivalent of Mortons? Really? Did you not expect them to get sticker shock at a $300 check when they are broke?

Outback was the only choice and maybe Longhorn. Now it was a total douche move for Father In Law to get basically the highest price entrée going in, but here again you probably already knew the guy was fairly douchey going into the arrangement.

Why the fuck did you have them there for two weeks anyway? 4 days max. It kinda sounds like your wife is calling the shots in your household.
    Belive it or not I get allong better with the in laws better then my wife does. I'm one of those eye-Talians blood is thicker than water types and no matter how bad they suck I think it's important they spend time with the granddaughter. If anything I was the one who stopped a family war from breaking out last night, my wife doesn't run the house... At least not completely.

The original plan was for them to stay for a week and see the granddaughter and to spend the second week with my MIL mother who stays with MIL sister about an hour away from here. No way I'd be on board for a two week stay.

Load Metric
    You don't need to seriously reply to Seth unless you've got a clogged shitter.

Old people are whack. You're right to suck it up, they won't live forever.

Load Metric
    Divorce this white trash cooze

Load Metric
    Yeah if you know they don't have a lot of money, it's a bad move on your part to take them to a fancy place and expect them to pony up. The complaining about prices once he got there is a bit irksome and then going all in on the entree at outback is off-putting too. I'd say it's a wash. Next time send the wife to go visit them.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83
    I'm going to come across as a bit of a douche but I really know more about this then anyone on this board by miles.

...if Trump is nominee he wins Presidency easily. Angry Blue Collar Whites will have record turnout.

Thread Information