Thread: NFL Yearly Coaching Carousel Has Begun

Load Metric

NFL Yearly Coaching Carousel Has Begun

Harbaugh already announces his departure right after the game last night & now 3 more openings before the west coast even wakes up. Not sure if there has been 4 firings this quickly but there probably has been.

Trestman & Emery out in Chicago.
    http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story...-marc-trestman
    Who do you Bears fans want to replace them or, maybe better question, who will?

Mike Smith out in Atlanta.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12...ire-mike-smith
    Same question as above?

Rex Ryan & John Idzik both out in New York.
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...coach-rex-ryan
    Again, Same question?

Looks like Harbaugh & Michigan will happen although not quite an announced done deal:
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...coach-rex-ryan

Which of these 4 openings is the most attractive to a potential "hot hire" or will they just fill these openings off the carousel of retread name coaches?

I'd start a poll for this but can't seem to figure out how to do it

Who's next to go or, who should be next to go? Really no shortage of candidates here.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    49ers and Jets....just wow so dumb. Harbaugh and Ryan are both easily top 10 HC's in the league, you could argue top 5. Harbaugh getting the Michigan gig is understandable, where else in the NFL that is potentially open would he go and do better? Ryan is the ideal players coach who also was (at the very least) competent at in-game decisions.

As a fan I hope Ryan decides to do color commentary, preferably booting out either Aikman or Simms from their #1 spots on the networks.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    49ers and Jets....just wow so dumb. Harbaugh and Ryan are both easily top 10 HC's in the league, you could argue top 5. Harbaugh getting the Michigan gig is understandable, where else in the NFL that is potentially open would he go and do better? Ryan is the ideal players coach who also was (at the very least) competent at in-game decisions.

As a fan I hope Ryan decides to do color commentary, preferably booting out either Aikman or Simms from their #1 spots on the networks.
    I never thought of that & is a very interesting idea. He'd be really good at it IMO but I'm pretty sure he'll end up in one of these other 3 openings or possibly another yet to come.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    I actually think the best gig open now, purely from a football standpoint, is the open Oakland job. Their GM has done a good job shredding dead money the last few years, and they have some pieces to build on now from their last couple drafts. One more good draft plus a few free agents with the money they have to spend now, and you might have a playoff team in 2 years.

SF might be the worst. Shaky QB, salary cap hell about to start for them next year, they've whiffed the last couple drafts, front office seems difficult to deal with.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post

I never thought of that & is a very interesting idea. He'd be really good at it IMO but I'm pretty sure he'll end up in one of these other 3 openings or possibly another yet to come.
    Watch any of the pregame studio shows these last couple weeks? They were all fellating him with tributes "if he was done" as Jets coach. Everyone wants him. I didn't catch any of those tributes for Smith or Trestman.

Load Metric
    I actually think the best gig open now, purely from a football standpoint, is the open Oakland job. Their GM has done a good job shredding dead money the last few years, and they have some pieces to build on now from their last couple drafts. One more good draft plus a few free agents with the money they have to spend now, and you might have a playoff team in 2 years.

SF might be the worst. Shaky QB, salary cap hell about to start for them next year, they've whiffed the last couple drafts, front office seems difficult to deal with.
    I'm like a lot of people & thought Harbaugh would end up in Oakland for a lot of the reasons you've pointed out. Lots of potential & I think they have a real QB in Carr.

Out of the 4 current openings I think the Atlanta job is the most attractive from a football standpoint. They have some good weapons on offence, as long as they can keep them, & an established QB but really need to fix the defence but it's doable IMO. They could also contend for the division & playoffs while they're fixing it.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Load Metric

Watch any of the pregame studio shows these last couple weeks? They were all fellating him with tributes "if he was done" as Jets coach. Everyone wants him. I didn't catch any of those tributes for Smith or Trestman.
    No, I very rarely pay attention to the pregame studio shows as I'm usually doing other things. I was totally unaware that conversation was happening.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Load Metric
    no clue for the Bears.

The president just got moved as well, to some position with less responsibilities. Im hoping they bring in someone who already has successfully changed another failing team, and who will embrace the Bears culture and bring in someone who is a disciplinarian type of coach.

Fans are sick of the quiet, soft spoken guys. Our players took advantage of it and there is no accountability among the players. We need someone to bust some heads.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK Star View Post
    no clue for the Bears.

The president just got moved as well, to some position with less responsibilities. Im hoping they bring in someone who already has successfully changed another failing team, and who will embrace the Bears culture and bring in someone who is a disciplinarian type of coach.

Fans are sick of the quiet, soft spoken guys. Our players took advantage of it and there is no accountability among the players. We need someone to bust some heads.
    That's right. We need.....Ditka

Load Metric

If I'm ESPN, I am writing a blank check to Rex Ryan to replace Mike Ditka.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy Collins View Post

If I'm ESPN, I am writing a blank check to Rex Ryan to replace Mike Ditka.
    Agreed, but I hope he doesn't wind up in a studio. He could be Maddenesque if he devoted himself to being a color guy.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I think Ryan to Chicago is a no brainer... That team has always been built around defense...

Load Metric

I'm like a lot of people & thought Harbaugh would end up in Oakland for a lot of the reasons you've pointed out. Lots of potential & I think they have a real QB in Carr.

Out of the 4 current openings I think the Atlanta job is the most attractive from a football standpoint. They have some good weapons on offence, as long as they can keep them, & an established QB but really need to fix the defence but it's doable IMO. They could also contend for the division & playoffs while they're fixing it.
    The division is so weak that a quick turn around is very possible. Get the fans happy and excited and get a mega contract extension after a season or two.

Thread Information