Thread: Playing the Best Poker of My Life

Load Metric

Playing the Best Poker of My Life

Going to drop this in here, since nobody reads this forum.

Been playing the best poker of my life the last couple months (ever since the Drexel freeroll, 3rd place baby, when I started playing more again), sad the games online are such a hallow shell of what they used to be.

Tonight I went 28/1772 and then 8/1222, won almost a G, was only all-in for my entire stack on the last hand of both tournaments. Got it in 80/20 both times and lost.

My run bad has been through the roof though.

The other day I lost 4 SNGS in a row to Quads, Quads, Straight Flush, Ace High Flush (caught runner, runner), that's some sick run bad.

Variance is a bitch, Online Poker is Rigggggggged, Fuck Mason

This place needs more poker content.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Then I guess I'll drop this here, too.

I have also been doing well at the poker table the last few months. It's been nice. Reminds me of the old days, though still obviously not as good.

I would like to take credit for playing the best poker of my life recently, but that's not really it. Clearly my play style is matching up well with the opponents I've been facing, which I've always found to be a very important (though often overlooked) factor in whether you win or lose. I'm not talking about whether there's good players or fish (though that's even more important), but how your style matches up with the typical opponent at the table.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

I have also been doing well at the poker table the last few months. It's been nice. Reminds me of the old days, though still obviously not as good.

I would like to take credit for playing the best poker of my life recently, but that's not really it. Clearly my play style is matching up well with the opponents I've been facing, which I've always found to be a very important (though often overlooked) factor in whether you win or lose. I'm not talking about whether there's good players or fish (though that's even more important), but how your style matches up with the typical opponent at the table.
    Druff do you think you are better able to identify fish than the average 30/60 reg on the anon tables? If so, how much of an advantage is that?

I made two small tweaks to my game and I feel like both have been very +EV.

First one being a bit more aggressive in late position in the middle of the tournament.
    Secondly, three betting a bit more instead of calling off.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Druff do you think you are better able to identify fish than the average 30/60 reg on the anon tables? If so, how much of an advantage is that?

First one being a bit more aggressive in late position in the middle of the tournament.
    No, I've actually done well enough there to where I am not even obsessing over game selection. The only thing I won't do is sit with someone who appears to be a reg waiting alone HU.

I think my style just matches up well with the current group of players there, including many of the pros grinding on the site at the moment.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83 View Post

Spotting the fish in limit hold'em is not difficult, whether on line or live. First, observe their starting requirements. Do they play A-rag? Do they open in early position with small pocket pairs? Do they cold call a raise with K-J off? Second, observe their post flop play. Do they call all the way with 2nd pair and no overcards? Do they chase draws without regard to pot odds? Third, note their demeanor. How do they react to losing a big pot via a bad beat? Do they go on a rant or quietly move on to the next hand? Etc.

Load Metric
    Something I've started to notice more and more is the guy who takes a bad beat and loses his mind is the guy you want to play against.

Beat a guy A-10 > A-A two weeks ago who had some not so nice things to say afterward. He donated another. $3K to the table over the next 4 hours. Had a guy fri night ship it in with nut flush draw vs a set, hit the draw and then lost to the river boat. He lost it on the guy and went into his pocket for another $1600 over the next two hours.

Something Ive noticed more of lately.

Thread Information