Thread: Marriott petitioning FCC to block hotel guests from "tethering" cell phone in room

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Marriott petitioning FCC to block hotel guests from "tethering" cell phone in room

Really obnoxious.

They are asking the FCC to allow them to use equipment to stop people from using their cell phones to give their computers internet access -- a process called tethering.

This is obviously to force guests to purchase their expensive internet services.

They are lying and claiming they're doing it to stop hackers (lol).

http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/25/tech...ifi/index.html

Load Metric
    Right because they are doing such a bang up job at it so far.

Comments

wrenchjockey: Stuffing 3 trojans in a Spoiler Link Rep
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    My tether software allows me to hide my tether connection, so this is like the lamest petition ever.

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    There are only 4 things a hotel room needs:

Internet
    Electricity
    Running water
    A bed

In roughly that order.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Really obnoxious.

They are asking the FCC to allow them to use equipment to stop people from using their cell phones to give their computers internet access -- a process called tethering.

This is obviously to force guests to purchase their expensive internet services.

They are lying and claiming they're doing it to stop hackers (lol).

http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/25/tech...ifi/index.html

Wow, fucking ridiculous.

The only time I tether is when the hotel's Internet is dog shit which is about 50 percent of the time. I prefer not to tether as if the hotel has stable Internet the download speeds tend to be a lot faster than what I can get on my phone.

I dont think the Marriott realizes how many people currently dont complain to the front desk, or may even would attempt to leave their hotels, when the Internet is either unstable or plan doesn't work at their properties. The reason many don't is because they have tethering as a backup plan. As someone mentioned in this thread, Internet is probably the #1 thing people need in a hotel.

Also, I admit I dont know anything about the technology they are proposing, but I would think it would be hard to contain the hot spot "black out" to just the hotel. It seems if the hotel had neighbors, it could potentially spill over to them and accidentally block them out as well. I wonder how the technology to stop hot spots only stays within the perimeter of the hotel.
    Last edited by cmoney; 12-26-2014 at 05:44 AM.
    :freelewfather

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    If that passes I would never consider staying at Marriott again..I would downgrade to a lesser hotel on principle only..a save a few bucks..win-win situation..I actually pay 5 bucks a month for 2.5gig,s

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by thesparten View Post
    If that passes I would never consider staying at Marriott again..I would downgrade to a lesser hotel on principle only..a save a few bucks..win-win situation..I actually pay 5 bucks a month for 2.5gig,s

My great great great great grand dad paid about the same for 2.5 nigs. Your deal seems like a steal these days.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post
    My tether software allows me to hide my tether connection, so this is like the lamest petition ever.
    Grain of salt this but I think their proposed solution is to jam the RFC mandated frequency range for the tether itself.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    You obviously don't have any negotiating skills..I also pay 149 for a triple play cablevisiom platinum every channel they offer and all the on demand networks and DVR..mobile is 65 unlimited 4g talk text and 2.5 hotspot..I paid cash for the phone..

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Keep on watching college and high school sports and playing video games..

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    U were given the chance to say negrotiation and passed it up. Must be a dupe. Drexel or better since sonatine gave you attention.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Grain of salt this but I think their proposed solution is to jam the RFC mandated frequency range for the tether itself.
    Still wouldn't phase me because I run a wire, not create a hotspot. Unless they are talking about knocking out all wifi/4g in the hotel, then, duly noted. But at that point they're fucking with phone service and that shouldn't be legal.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

Still wouldn't phase me because I run a wire, not create a hotspot. Unless they are talking about knocking out all wifi/4g in the hotel, then, duly noted. But at that point they're fucking with phone service and that shouldn't be legal.
    Totally agree. I know almost nothing about CMDA traffic beyond the obvious but I dont see how they could impact one element of the cellular traffic without either blocking ALL cell traffic or getting a search warrant to intrusively inspect packets and modify per spec.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Sorry guys, really not a tec guy..too busy working 60 hours a week most of my life..thanks for not coming down in me too hard..still miss my commodore 64.lol

Comments

bukowski72: -1

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Still very shady..just because they Evan tried I will overlook them next time I book

Thread Information