Thread: Friend almost turned away at Canadian border for 1991 misdemeanor in US

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Friend almost turned away at Canadian border for 1991 misdemeanor in US

I have an old college friend whom I talk to every few years. I'll call him "Brad" because I don't know if he wants his name used here. He was in my area for business, so we met up for a few hours yesterday. It was the first time I had seen him in person in over 20 years.

Anyway, he told me about a pretty disturbing story at the Canadian border which surprised me.

Brad lives in Yakima, Washington. He has crossed into British Columbia many times, though always from I-5 toward Vancouver. That is a very heavily used border crossing, and they have always just asked him a few questions regarding his reason to visit Canada and let him go on his way.

In 1991, during the time I knew him in college, Brad was stealing cable. He had completely free cable and every single pay channel, and could even watch pay-per-view for free. After a bitter breakup with his girlfriend, she called up the cable company and reported him (or at least that's what he said happened) and was caught doing it. He pled guilty to a misdemeanor, paid some restitution of like $1000, and was given 2 years probation. He never served any prison time, aside from being in a holding cell when initially arrested and charged. Brad completed his probation and has never been arrested since.

Brad got a divorce last year, and I guess he's been doing online dating. Somehow he ended up talking to a girl from Penticton, BC (never heard of it before), which is located in the southern-center of the province. It was a 300 or so mile drive from Yakima, and the first time Brad had ever crossed the border there. In October, Brad went to go see her.

Apparently the border patrol station over there is lightly used, and the officers there are bored. They took his passport, told him "hold on", and ran it through the computer. He said they had never done that before at the Vancouver-area border crossing. After about 10 minutes, they told him to get out of the car and come into the station. At that point, they started questioning him.

"Have you ever been arrested before?"

Brad told me that he was at first considering lying about it, and then realized that this had to be about what they found from 1991, so he said yes.

"Were you convicted?"

He said yes.

Then they asked him to explain the crime. He told them that he was a broke college student who stupidly stole cable service for free. He kept repeating that he never had any problems with the law since then, and it was 23 years ago, but they weren't impressed. They also asked if he had been arrested but not convicted of anything since then, and he said no.

"So no traffic tickets, either?", they asked.

Brad told them that yes, he's had traffic tickets but never anything serious.

After looking some more shit up on the computer, they explained everything to him.

Apparently Canada has very strict laws regarding allowing "criminals" across the border, even ones with one-time, minor offenses, and even if the visit to the country is just for the day.

The told Brad that he was actually banned from Canada for 12 years, from 1991-2003. This included his two years probation and a 10-year period following it! They told him that his misdemeanor was not quite serious enough for a lifetime ban, "but it was close". What?!

Brad had entered Canada numerous times during those years, but the busy Canadian border patrol never bothered to run his record.

I had never heard of anything like this before. And I thought US Border Patrol agents were hard-asses!

Here is an article from 2012 about something similar, where tourist-oriented Canadian businesses near the Minnesota border are frustrated due to tons of customers being turned away before getting there:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/ou...140403093.html

The article focuses on DUIs, which I more understand, because drunk drivers can cause a legitimate hazard to Canadian citizens. But Brad was banned for 12 years from Canada for stealing cable for himself in the US??? Seriously?

Load Metric
    There's horror stories of crossing the border both ways for stupid shit like this.

There's even stories of Canadians being denied flights to Cuba or Mexico over stupid shit because they would be flying thru American airspace.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    There's horror stories of crossing the border both ways for stupid shit like this.

There's even stories of Canadians being denied flights to Cuba or Mexico over stupid shit because they would be flying thru American airspace.

Hilarious we are worried about petty Canadian criminals considering what goes on South of us.
    :freelewfather

Load Metric
    Was your friend on Border Security: Canada's Frontline?

Watch all the episodes on youtube... https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...%27s+Frontline
    Last edited by hotshott74; 12-12-2014 at 07:39 PM.
    @hotshott74 on twitter

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Standard Story and here is my recollection of mine

I got popped for a DUI when I got my licence obv in early 90s

Went to Canada couple years later with a group of friends. Half of them had probably been arrested for something.

They ran all of our IDS at the Vermont border heading towards Montreal. They pulled me and one other from the crowd. They told me I wasn't allowed in the country but they also said I could have a special court hearing on the spot for like $500 to grant me a weeks entry but I could get denied even if I paid.

I only had like 1k to my name at the time but rolled the dice and they gave me entry but they shook me down for $500

Bronze
    Load Metric
    as Canadian going down to America, if i have dui causing bodily harm, i assume i cant get thru? Ive been told its up to the agent discretion but ive never actually gone and tried.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    why in the world would he bring up a misdeamener from over 20 years ago, there is no way they would find that out without him bringing it up.

As stupid as the border patrol policy is i gotta say he was even more stupid.

I'm not buying that showed up when they screened him.

Load Metric
    Im banned from canada because of my conviction. They pulled me and a group of people off a cruise ship. One guy had a dui from 20 years ago. They told me if I wanted in to Canada I would have to go to the consulate in 5 years and pay $500 for a criminal rehabilitation form. I told them to go fuck themselves.

Load Metric
    This is why I have never been to Canada. I have a felony from 12 years ago for weed and it's not worth trying.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Only God can judge me. So either LOVE ME or LEAVE ME ALONE"

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicide King View Post
    Im banned from canada because of my conviction. They pulled me and a group of people off a cruise ship. One guy had a dui from 20 years ago. They told me if I wanted in to Canada I would have to go to the consulate in 5 years and pay $500 for a criminal rehabilitation form. I told them to go fuck themselves.
    They actually pulled you off the ship to tell you this?

LOL

So the ship pulled into port and they seeked you and the other "criminal" passengers out to demand $500?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Now I am wondering if this is more about money than being hard asses about allowing people with criminal records into Canada.

From the articles I'm reading, it looks like they tend to target people traveling in groups or ones on vacation -- both likely to pay the $500 "rehabilitation" fee.

Even though Brad was by himself, maybe they figured that anyone in a remote area like that wouldn't be likely to turn all the way back around and throw away the hundreds of miles they drove to get there. They must have some threshold for this $500 and Brad probably barely skated under it.

Good to see that the Canadian government is just as corrupt regarding extracting money from innocent people as the American government.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I didn't know about this bullshit either until this thread

believe it or not, im not convinced that this is about extracting money though. The tourist industry is losing millions right now because of this. I think they (the government) are just being a bunch of idiots who are taking everyone elses DUI's too seriously just because in their country it is considered a major felony.

i did a little searching, and they have been ramping this up for what looks like approximately 7 years...but these rules have supposedly been in place for decades; they just didn't have the database capability until post 911 to do more thorough searching.

think about it, say a group of people decide to go on a fishing trip, and if just one of them are turned away, the odds are that everyone cancels the trip. Thats thousands in losses just from one tourist party.

found a related article

http://www.startribune.com/sports/ou...140403093.html

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Now I am wondering if this is more about money than being hard asses about allowing people with criminal records into Canada.

From the articles I'm reading, it looks like they tend to target people traveling in groups or ones on vacation -- both likely to pay the $500 "rehabilitation" fee.

Even though Brad was by himself, maybe they figured that anyone in a remote area like that wouldn't be likely to turn all the way back around and throw away the hundreds of miles they drove to get there. They must have some threshold for this $500 and Brad probably barely skated under it.

Good to see that the Canadian government is just as corrupt regarding extracting money from innocent people as the American government.
    Your friend needs a "certification of rehabilation" form completed by a licensed psychologist.
    Just a piece of paper stating that his conviction was a long time ago and he is now completely rehabilitated.

Yeah it's bullshit, however there are a few other countries that bar people with criminal convictions.

United Kingdom, Japan and Australia will deny entry and/or a Visa if you have been convicted of any crimes in the U.S.

Misdemeanor drug crimes count.

I remember a few years ago Paris Hilton was charged with possession of cocaine, when her boyfriend got arrested for pot on the Las Vegas strip, she went into the Wynn Hotel and was talking to police officers when a bag of cocaine falls out of her purse.

The next week, Paris Hilton trys to go to Japan but she gets deported because of a criminal misdemeanor drug arrest back in Vegas.

Load Metric
    The moral of the story here is that Canadia sucks and if you ever want yo go there don't be captain save a ho with a torque wrench.

Load Metric

LOL

So the ship pulled into port and they seeked you and the other "criminal" passengers out to demand $500?
    They slipped a note under my door saying I hsd been randomly selected to meet with Canadian border officers. They put us on emergency boats onto shore where the mounties had a little check point set up

Comments

bukowski72: sounds like something out of one of those bad Chevy Chase movies from the 80s

Platinum
    Load Metric

LOL

They slipped a note under my door saying I hsd been randomly selected to meet with Canadian border officers. They put us on emergency boats onto shore where the mounties had a little check point set up
    lol what a bunch of horseshit. Talk about a waste of fucking resources

Load Metric
    Funniest part was we didn't have a stop in Canada, just passed through their waters.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Canada is a big place with plenty of places to hide. Do you want

an easier border so anyone can hit a red or green button and have a

50% of entering?

Did a crime? Consequences.

Think we don't have our share of

law breaking citizens? (Ahem)

kidding obv.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

This is one of the main differences between the two Nations. I don't expect it's for the money because it would be peanuts.
    It's more of a sorry fella you're in a different country now so
    yeah, if you're stopped and questioned...... lie your ass off

It's another power trip job.
    Last edited by limitles; 12-15-2014 at 09:29 PM.

Thread Information