Thread: A Serious Customer Service Issue????

Load Metric

A Serious Customer Service Issue????

It's that time of year when a lot of people are ordering things online & sometimes by phone & I've run into an issue that I just can't wrap my head around.

I called my closest Home Depot, an hour away, to see if they had an item in stock since it was about $30 cheaper than the one I had already ordered from somewhere else(I could still cancel) & I had to go to that city anyway & would also save $ on shipping. They didn't have it & when they told me they could have it in 8 days & for the same "cyber monday" price I definitely wanted to order it.

This is where my question & issue comes. I gave them my CC # & expiration date & was then asked for the 3 digit # on the back & I refused. I tried to explain that she shouldn't need it since I had to show that CC when I picked up the item & that this was the only thing stopping anybody from stealing my credit/identity & buying anything they wanted online & you can't just give this kind of thing out over the phone. I've been asked for this before & have refused every time for the same reason & always been able to complete the transaction but this lady insisted that they, a huge fucking company, couldn't order & bring in a $220 item without it. I tried to explain that it was a security measure strictly for internet purchases & if they needed it to order it I might as well just order it online myself.

I understand that I called them but is this common practice or am I totally out of line? Who in their right mind would give this info over the phone to some random person? I told her that it's not that I don't trust her specifically but if I just gave this out to anyone who asked, & I've been asked for it a few times over the years, I'd eventually run into someone that wasn't honest & would use this info in the manner I've already described.

I'm just wondering whether I should phone higher up in management to find out why they are asking for this info because I think it's insane & a ridiculous request.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    It's that time of year when a lot of people are ordering things online & sometimes by phone & I've run into an issue that I just can't wrap my head around.

I called my closest Home Depot, an hour away, to see if they had an item in stock since it was about $30 cheaper than the one I had already ordered from somewhere else(I could still cancel) & I had to go to that city anyway & would also save $ on shipping. They didn't have it & when they told me they could have it in 8 days & for the same "cyber monday" price I definitely wanted to order it.

This is where my question & issue comes. I gave them my CC # & expiration date & was then asked for the 3 digit # on the back & I refused. I tried to explain that she shouldn't need it since I had to show that CC when I picked up the item & that this was the only thing stopping anybody from stealing my credit/identity & buying anything they wanted online & you can't just give this kind of thing out over the phone. I've been asked for this before & have refused every time for the same reason & always been able to complete the transaction but this lady insisted that they, a huge fucking company, couldn't order & bring in a $220 item without it. I tried to explain that it was a security measure strictly for internet purchases & if they needed it to order it I might as well just order it online myself.

I understand that I called them but is this common practice or am I totally out of line? Who in their right mind would give this info over the phone to some random person? I told her that it's not that I don't trust her specifically but if I just gave this out to anyone who asked, & I've been asked for it a few times over the years, I'd eventually run into someone that wasn't honest & would use this info in the manner I've already described.

I'm just wondering whether I should phone higher up in management to find out why they are asking for this info because I think it's insane & a ridiculous request.

Pretty common practice these days to ask for the CVV number. Especially when ordering over the phone because most of the time theyre just ordering it online through their own little program from home depot site.

You're being old and ridiculous and paranoid imo
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Only God can judge me. So either LOVE ME or LEAVE ME ALONE"

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTIFIEDhomicide View Post
    Pretty common practice these days to ask for the CVV number. Especially when ordering over the phone because most of the time theyre just ordering it online through their own little program from home depot site.

You're being old and ridiculous and paranoid imo
    I actually understand this sentiment & is the reason I started the thread.

I seem to remember shortbuspoker, & probably others, works in this field & am hoping they can shine some light on why they would possibly need this kind of info when the CVV was instituted, AFAIK, as a type of PIN to protect from the user internet fraud. If more people than just the card holder know this # it's basically useless as a fraud prevention tool.

As I've already stated, I've been asked for this before & refused to divulge it & explained why & every time the transaction has gone through without it when the person on the other end tried.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I came in here assuming this was going to be about tomatoes

Thanks for wasting my time here!

Load Metric
    There are currently 20 users browsing this thread. (6 members and 14 guests)
    Hockey Guy, Dan Druff, Gordman, JUSTIFIEDhomicide, shortbuspoker, ToasterOven
    Holy fuck Druff & shortbus have been browsing this thread for 20+ minutes.

I'll have to read Druff's long, rambling response & story of something similar happening to him tomorrow since I'm going to bed.

I also look forward to shortbus's short, concise, super informative one tomorrow as well.

Just kidding Druff. I look forward to your take on this.

Comments

varys: lol bingo
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Load Metric
    If you have to give both numbers, what is the point of the CVV number to begin with?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yes, you are correct, and the whole purpose of the CVV is pretty much being defeated by the fact that you are constantly asked to provide it in situations like these.

With that said, the chance that this particular instance of giving them the CVV will lead to your credit card being fraudulently charged is almost zero.

What you have here is a low level rep who is just following orders, and he/she has no way to deviate from the procedure, even if they want to.

In short: It's not worth fighting, because you're not even gaining anything by "winning" here.

I would advise just grumbling about it being stupid and move on.

Reminds me of when I signed up for the VONS supermarket club in its early days:

Checker: Would you like a VONS card to get today's discounts?

Me: Yes

Checker: Okay, fill out this application.

(I fill it out, leaving the Social Security Number box blank)

Checker: You need to give your social for us to process this.

Me: No, I don't. It's illegal for you to ask for this when you are not checking my credit or paying me anything.

Checker: No, we need your social to process this.

Me: I'm telling you, this is against the law. I don't have to give this.

Checker: Sir, you cannot get a card without providing that to us.

Me: Okay, no problem. It's 419-36-7231.

Checker: Thank you. Here's your card.

In reality, I just made up a random 9 digit SSN and gave it to her. Was easier than continuing that pointless debate. I know you couldn't just make up the CVV here, but at the same time it's unlikely to come back to harm you.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    When ordering online a lot of processors take a higher % transaction fee if the CSC code isn't provided. When you're ordering over the phone they are usually just entering it the same way as if you were ordering it from home online.

Huge places most likely have processors that don't charge them a higher % without the CSC code but tons of small/medium sized businesses have processors that do. Home Depot is huge so doubt they get charged more but who knows with the huge leak they had last year.

Load Metric
    I've been researching this more online & it looks like Weiss & Druff are correct & I'm out of line & worry too much.

I guess I'll have to re-think my position on this.

I should probably be more worried about my computer being compromised, like Barcelona, since I do online banking & check it every day. Between my wife & I checking, I think we'd thwart any fraud before it got too far.

/thread
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Load Metric
    This is where my question & issue comes. I gave them my CC # & expiration date & was then asked for the 3 digit # on the back & I refused.
    insane & a ridiculous

ok, moving on.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    I've been researching this more online & it looks like Weiss & Druff are correct & I'm out of line & worry too much.

I guess I'll have to re-think my position on this.

I should probably be more worried about my computer being compromised, like Barcelona, since I do online banking & check it every day. Between my wife & I checking, I think we'd thwart any fraud before it got too far.

/thread
    Agreed on all fronts. Also note credit card companies are extremely quick at crediting back any fraudulent charges + issuing new cards.

As long as you watch your bills you will be fine. I would even give mine out to a taco stand in Ensenada Mexico that was run by the cartel.

Load Metric
    There are currently 20 users browsing this thread. (6 members and 14 guests)
    Hockey Guy, Dan Druff, Gordman, JUSTIFIEDhomicide, shortbuspoker, ToasterOven
    Holy fuck Druff & shortbus have been browsing this thread for 20+ minutes.

I'll have to read Druff's long, rambling response & story of something similar happening to him tomorrow since I'm going to bed.

I also look forward to shortbus's short, concise, super informative one tomorrow as well.

Just kidding Druff. I look forward to your take on this.

No advice. If I turn my phone off it leaves me on whatever thread I was looking at last.

Thread Information