Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The protest I was willing to go to jail for

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

The protest I was willing to go to jail for

As I watch the Ferguson "protests" around the United States, I have mostly feelings of disgust. Businesses are burnt down, vandalized, and looted. Commuters are trapped on the freeway. Why? What did these innocent people do to deserve this? If your problem is with the government, courts, or police, direct your anger at them. Don't harm innocent bystanders in order to draw attention to your cause. That's selfish, narcissistic, and criminal.

But it led me to a second related question: If a cause is important enough to you, does it ever make sense to go to jail for it? Is it ever justified to refuse police orders and get yourself arrested?

In situations where you are harming innocent third parties, the answer is no. But if you're simply standing up for the rights of yourself or others, and not harming anyone in the process, then the answer can sometimes be yes.

I can relate to this, because there was an incident over two decades ago where I decided I was going to do something, refuse any orders to leave, and force the police to arrest me if necessary.

I did it because I felt I was being cheated, and wasn't going to let it happen no matter what.

The year was 1992. I lived in the college dorms. I had also bought a prepaid meal plan, where I was entitled to eat a hot breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day in the dorm cafeteria for the entire school year.

There were two cafeterias on campus. I usually went to the one closest to my dorm, for convenience reasons.

During that school year, the campus had unveiled a state-of-the-art "smart" ID card which could do a few new things. Parents could load it with funds that were only able to be spent on campus, thus preventing their kids' textbook money being spent on beer. The card also had the ability to track the meals you ate in the cafeteria, and the system was programmed to only allow you to enter a cafeteria once per meal. This would prevent someone from eating at both cafeterias during the same dinner hours. I'm not sure why this was so important to them, as everything was buffet style, but for some reason this was a big deal. They would swipe your card when you came in. If the computer gave the message "no meal plan" or "already ate this meal", you weren't allowed entry.

One cool January evening, I strolled into my usual cafeteria for dinner. Swiped my card. Walked in. Everything seemed normal, and the person swiping my card didn't warn me of anything out of the ordinary.

I walked up to the hot food line, only to find it abandoned. There wasn't a morsel of food, nor were there any employees there waiting to serve anyone. I was confused, as the cafeteria wasn't set to close for another 30 minutes. I walked around to other hot food areas, and again, no food anywhere. Only cold offerings, such as fruit, cereal, and the salad bar were available. I walked back up to the front to ask what was up.

"Sorry, our boiler broke," I was told. "There's no hot food tonight."

"How long has it been this way?", I asked.

"It happened about 45 minutes ago," she replied.

"Then why didn't you warn me about this before swiping my card? If you had told me, I would have told you not to swipe it and walked over to the other cafeteria which does have hot food."

"I don't know," she said blankly. "I guess I didn't think of it. I figured there's still cold food in there, so you can still eat."

I asked for the manager, so he could arrange for me to go to the other cafeteria.

"Sorry, can't do that," the manager curtly told me. "We're on different budgets. Once you've been swiped here, that's how we get paid, so you can't go to the other one because then they can't get paid if you've already been here."

I was getting pissed. Different budgets? It was the same freaking school drawing from the same freaking meal plan that I had bought. It's not like I was asking for Domino's to arrange for Pizza Hut to make my pizza. This was all drawing from the same well, and clearly the manager had the power to make this right.

"Look, the girl in front can verify that I didn't eat anything here. She can verify that I walked in, saw what happened, and went back to her about 3 minutes later. Just erase me from your system as if I never swiped, or if that can't be done, call the other cafeteria and tell them to either make an exception or take my meal there out of this cafeteria's budget."

"Look, we still have food here," he snapped. "I'm not making that call. That's not what we do. The rule is that you can go to one cafeteria per meal. You've gone to this one, and that's the rule I'm enforcing. End of story. Now you can find something to eat here, or you can walk out. But no, I'm not asking the other cafeteria to let you in. We're not bending the rules for you."

I kept arguing. I told him that I paid for a hot dinner, and that they essentially took my money without informing me that they couldn't provide this hot dinner, and now were essentially refusing to refund that money.

Didn't matter. This asshole wasn't budging. I made up my mind as to what I was going to do, and stormed out.

So what was my plan?

As far as I was concerned, I paid for a hot meal at a cafeteria of my choice on this campus. They took my money, and yet were refusing to provide me that hot meal, even though one was still available at the other cafeteria. I decided that they had essentially stolen my money, and I wasn't going to allow it.

My plan was to walk over to the other cafeteria and tell them the story. I was going to fudge a little bit and tell them that the first cafeteria told me to ask them to let me in. If they refused (or checked on my story and found I was full of shit on the "permission" part), I was going to walk in anyway. If they asked me to leave, I was going to refuse. If the cops came and told me to leave, I was again going to refuse, and was going to let them arrest me. I decided that I would also sue the school for false arrest if this were to occur, and draw as much publicity to the matter as possible.

Why was I willing to do this over what was simply a $7 cafeteria meal?

Principle. I paid, they cheated me, and I was going to get what I paid for. And if that meant getting arrested, I was willing to let it happen, so I could bring to light the way the students were being treated here.

So did I end up going to jail as a result of this little 1-man vigilante cafeteria protest?

I walked up to the other cafeteria. They swiped my card, and predictably, it came back with the "already ate" message. The tired-looking girl in the front muttered, "Sorry, says you already ate tonight."

"Yeah, I know," I quickly replied. "Their boiler is broken over there. They forgot to tell me before they swiped, so I was stuck in the situation where I couldn't get any hot food, even though you guys had plenty over here. They told me that it's hard to reach you guys over here, and just to ask for you to make an exception and let me in."

The girl looked confused and overwhelmed by my story.

"Uhhh.....", she hestitated. "Well, I'm not... you're not.... ummm... you know what? Just go in."

So I went in, had my meal, and the crisis was averted.

Later I found out that the manager (who was a middle-aged employee of the school, not a student) was just being a lazy asshole, and that school policy was actually on my side about this one. He got in trouble with his boss over the matter, as well as other things he had been doing against policy for a long time which I reported as well.

But what would have happened if I got into a standoff and was dragged off to jail for trying to get the hot meal I had paid for? It easily could have happened, and sometimes I wonder what the ultimate result there would have been.

Comments

Bootsy Collins: Yeah......

DRK Star: this will not result in the reactions you may have been expecting....

bukowski72: What? Just go to the other cafeteria and try to get in. Already considering takiing on the police over it is semi-mental.

4Dragons: Not much of a jail story

GrenadaRoger: One has to be tough to survive the mean streets of UCSB

son of lockman: Well i wouldn't worry about jail todd. you're too ugly to be butt fucked and too big to fuck with. lol.

Silver
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    WFT!!! You are comparing a $7 meal protest to people dying!!! People are "protesting" for someone else not that they got screwed. I could almost understand if you were "protesting" b/c someone else got screwed but it was for your own benefit.

I don't give a shit about principle when you compare eating a hot meal vs. cold meal to innocent peoples lives being destroyed by a bunch of thugs.

I usually agree with your political view points but this "protest" is just stupid. Or a level and you got me.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    tl;dr
    fyp

Load Metric
    the stereotypes are true

Name:  jew-bwa-ha-ha.gif
Views: 625
Size:  29.4 KB

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodpoop View Post
    WFT!!! You are comparing a $7 meal protest to people dying!!! People are "protesting" for someone else not that they got screwed. I could almost understand if you were "protesting" b/c someone else got screwed but it was for your own benefit.

I don't give a shit about principle when you compare eating a hot meal vs. cold meal to innocent peoples lives being destroyed by a bunch of thugs.

I usually agree with your political view points but this "protest" is just stupid. Or a level and you got me.

I was on the verge of unloading pretty much exactly along these lines

but didn't want to be accused of 'trolling'

thank God someone said exactly what I was thinking

this is how his brain works

fucking mind boggling

although there is a slim chance this is actually a 'level', chances are it's not

Comments

The_Standard: nobody knows how your brain works either tho so.......

Mdwst Hstlr: .

Load Metric
    In before Fluffer.

Shouldn't you be able to relate MORE to the protesting if you were so riled up over a $7 cafeteria meal? Can you imagine the mindset (rational or not) of people who are uneducated and feel like the police can kill them at will?

Load Metric
    While his comparison to other protests & Ferguson is ridiculous, Druff is 100% correct that he should be able to go to the next cafeteria & eat no questions asked.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    . I was confused, as the cafeteria wasn't set to close for another 30 minutes.

STOP READING THERE.

YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE

Comments

tyde: LOL WEISS

WillieMcFML: this
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Only God can judge me. So either LOVE ME or LEAVE ME ALONE"

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Skated Thru to PFA WP Title BHS's Avatar
    Load Metric

Load Metric
    Druff's meal protest is taking place on THANKSGIVING! (Aren't we supposed to give thanks for a rich meal harvest today instead of protesting a cafeteria famine?)

This is a very rich irony. Almost too rich. Almost a level, but....

I think he must be doing this to entertain us. No other explanation.

I believe years of long radio shows subconsciously led him to this entertaining protest today.

HAPPY TURKEY DAY!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    In before Fluffer.

Shouldn't you be able to relate MORE to the protesting if you were so riled up over a $7 cafeteria meal? Can you imagine the mindset (rational or not) of people who are uneducated and feel like the police can kill them at will?

God this is fucking brilliant.

Druff do you ever allow loved ones of yours to read your posts? Especially your "trolled" posts? You should do a study and compile your "trolled" posts and let a loved one read them. You'll realize nobody here is trolling. We love you. We just think you're a delusional out of your mind, self loving jew
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Load Metric
    Hitler was terrible. But reading this board allows me to understand why normal German citizens were able to pretend nothing was happening in the 30's.

Comments

varys: wat

Banned
    Load Metric
    I'm really starting to think that is a special Thanksgiving day level from Todd

no way this is real

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    TODD IS GOD

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Chaps View Post
    TODD IS GOD

Would make for a great protest chant

Someone photoshop a bunch of protestors with TODD IS GOD signs and pictures of hot meals and justice!

edit: makle sure you also include in the picture the police in riot gear uniforms

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yes I posted this to get a reaction because I was annoyed I couldn't fall back asleep at 5:30am on Thanksgiving.

Entire story is true but I tied it in to the Ferguson thing just to get the responses like the above.

However, I still stand by everything I did in that story.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I really would have let them arrest me though. Wasn't kidding about that.

Comments

bukowski72: You are dumb.

Load Metric
    Yes I posted this to get a reaction because I was annoyed I couldn't fall back asleep at 5:30am on Thanksgiving.

Entire story is true but I tied it in to the Ferguson thing just to get the responses like the above.

However, I still stand by everything I did in that story.

Happy Thanksgiving.
    Name:  54d.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  183.2 KB

Platinum
    Load Metric
    When I was in college $7 was a decent amount of money...I wouldn't get arrested but I would have complained too

Comments

bukowski72: His parents paid for the meals. Yeah he could have complained the next day. Getting ready to be arrested is more than a slight overeaction.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Yes I posted this to get a reaction

one of my better shops

and def appropriate for this festive Thanksgiving attention whoring clusterfuck of a thread

Thread Information