Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off the Felt with Mark Newhouse, Part 2 (the bustout)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Off the Felt with Mark Newhouse, Part 2 (the bustout)

Most amazing was how he tolerated being repeatedly interviewed and followed around after busting like that.

I would have wanted everyone out of my face for at least 4 days after something like that.

Here is part 1 if you missed it:

Comments

BetCheckBet:

Load Metric
    i just want to pat the guy on the back and tell him everything's gonna be ok even though i know that's a lie

druff goes into a tailspin for a month after every main event, not a day goes by that i don't think about what a huge opportunity i had and the fact i may never be in that postion again

and newhizzle goes 9th two years in a row, couldn't even imagine how that feels

that would send 99.9999% of people into an unrecoverable downward spiral

he's already beat incredible odds, i hope he fades this as well
    Last edited by WillieMcFML; 11-23-2014 at 12:40 AM.

Banned
    Load Metric
    I have to tip my cap to All-In, they've been doing excellent work with the videos.

Comments

WillieMcFML: i agree and in before tyde neg rep you unemployable gimp

Sloppy Joe: Their employees have *AHEM* talent

Bronze
    Load Metric
    The guys soul is tested to say the least. WPT 1st, then downhill fast. WSOP, final table amazing, then out 9th, WSOP final again the next year, unreal odds are not believable. How do you final table back to back like that, in that big of field? And once again out in 9th not even 7th or 8th. AGAIN!!! Oh can I get an interview???, I don't know how he did it again.
    Last edited by J Sousa; 11-23-2014 at 01:09 AM. Reason: submit to quick

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by J Sousa View Post
    The guys soul is tested to say the least. WPT 1st, then downhill fast. WSOP, final table amazing, then out 9th, WSOP final again the next year, unreal odds are not believable. How do you final table back to back like that, in that big of field? And once again out in 9th not even 7th or 8th. AGAIN!!! Oh can I get an interview???, I don't know how he did it again.
    guy just went out 9th in consecutive years and his main concern seems to be the people he felt he let down, i.e. StepNGo sponsor

8 figure first prize and he just wants to make sure they got their 5k (or whatever) worth

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by J Sousa View Post
    And once again out in 9th not even 7th or 8th. AGAIN!!! Oh can I get an interview???, I don't know how he did it again.
    One of my least favorite tasks at Bluff was doing bustout interviews. Fortunately I didn't do very many. I'm glad I wasn't around for this one, I would have felt awful hassling him at a time like that.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    No poker player feels good when they bust out even if they made a lot of money. In this case Newhouse didn't make any more money on the felt since he already was paid 9th place winnings back in July but he got some sponsorship money whatever that worked out to be.

Whenever you get so close and 9th place in a field as big as the main event is close enough you feel like it's a loss. The money still can be good but if you don't have that competitive drive when playing tournaments where something like 3rd place don't disappoint you at least some then you aren't cut out for poker long term especially tournaments.

The only possible justification for the river shove would be to fold out AA-QQ but the speed with which Tonking called showed he was never folding here. A terrible bed-shitting by Newhouse.

Load Metric
    Newhouse you are a class act. Incredible feat, and always remember their is no price you can put on going down in poker history, which you now belong too. The opportunity and money will follow, so you have won in that regard!

Was fun to watch, well played and gl....

Load Metric
    It's so hard to give a shit about Main Event final tables anymore. The only thing that made this one watchable was to see how Newhouse did. I was rooting for him for sure, as he's clearly a cool guy. I saw him bust, changed the channel and never watched another minute of the tournament. Very impressive how he handled it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post
    i just want to pat the guy on the back and tell him everything's gonna be ok even though i know that's a lie

druff goes into a tailspin for a month after every main event, not a day goes by that i don't think about what a huge opportunity i had and the fact i may never be in that postion again

and newhizzle goes 9th two years in a row, couldn't even imagine how that feels

that would send 99.9999% of people into an unrecoverable downward spiral

he's already beat incredible odds, i hope he fades this as well
    If you played bad which caused you to bust then it makes sense that you'd be mentally crippled for a while, but if it's standard spots and the play was right then there's no point even thinking about it shortly afterward. Having your life thoughts consumed by a poker tournament that you busted deep in is a bit pathetic. Newhouse obv falls into the category of bad play so it will sting for a while but I'm sure he's doing ok financially so no need to shed a tear for the guy.

Load Metric
    Do people mostly view his play as being a bad one, because THEY know what cards his opponent had?

Maybe he had a slight read on his opponent that gave the impression of weakness and could be pushed off his hand?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    People are saying that he could have taken a better line, check/give up probably the best but checking the turn and shoving the river when checked to would also have a higher success rate then what he did. Regardless of his live read, he didn't pay close enough attention to the spr and had nowhere near enough to bluff him off. It's a prime example of a time when you should ditch the live read and go with the low risk/icm conscious play.

Comments

DRK Star: analysis rep

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK Star View Post
    Do people mostly view his play as being a bad one, because THEY know what cards his opponent had?

Maybe he had a slight read on his opponent that gave the impression of weakness and could be pushed off his hand?
    This makes no sense. He tried to fold out the had that was exactly one better than his. If he had an impression that his opponent was weaker than he actually was, then he wouldn't have tried to bluff because he would have the best hand. His opponent had the weakest possible holdings, therefore it wasn't an issue of his read on his opponent's holdings being wrong.
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Banned
    Load Metric
    didnt newhouse talk about just playing as aggro as possible leading up to the FT and that he'd continue this trend for the FT? kind of sets up for a bad image to try and move a guy off QQ. the fact that homeboy snapped him off immed tells me he was thinking the same.

also plol is correct, as always.

Load Metric
    Does your assessment factor in that he KNEW what his opponent had?...because that is the question I have for the entire scenario.

Load Metric
    Does your assessment factor in that he KNEW what his opponent had?...because that is the question I have for the entire scenario.
    Mark either KNEW what his opponent had, or thought his opponent was even stronger than he actually was. You were saying Mark may have thought his opponent was weaker than he actually was, which is not possible unless Mark was valuebetting and wanting a call.

Comments

DRK Star: lots of meta game in that hand, but he could have considered more possibilities

bukowski72: mark said in interview he thought QQ was the type of hand his opponent had...so this measns Newhoue was prob putting him on KK...he never thought he was ahead on the river
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Load Metric
    Classic example of a guy who must have loads of functional intelligence but pissed it away 'living the life' in Vegas.

In hindsight I'm glad that poker never took off for me. What a completely empty existence.

GL Newhouse

No because, according to Newhouse himself, he pretty much put the guy on an overpair. If you put all your chips in on the river with what you believe is probably the worst hand then there is only one possible justification: that the opponent will fold at least some of the range you put him on. Newhouse is saying "I can profitably jam scare cards here because he folds overpairs" but Tonking virtually snap-called him showing that assumption was completely false. That's why it was a bad play, because it was predicated on a completely incorrect assumption of how the opponent would play.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post
    Mark either KNEW what his opponent had, or thought his opponent was even stronger than he actually was. You were saying Mark may have thought his opponent was weaker than he actually was, which is not possible unless Mark was valuebetting and wanting a call.

I havent watched the coverage, just saw the river and his bet/call. I assume it was raised and reraised before flop? Doesn't seem imo that he had enough chips to get him to lay down at that point. I think it works a lot if you have like 17 million behind, but not 10. Whatever the opponent's read on flop and turn, he's to a degree married to it by the river. I think Mark likely knew exactly what he had and just got too deep and tried to turn his hand into bluff, but I don't think you get the guy to lay down enough to justify the bet. ~amateur analysis over~

Such a genuinely nice kid. Really felt for him. Still, a tremendously successful player who is still very young. He's the type of kid who if he meets a nice girl, settles down, and started investing a decent % of his winnings could really do well. He can win half of what he does and be more successful once life kicks the degen out of him. If he can find a balance. Either way, fantastic run.

Thread Information