Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Obama wants to classify the internet a utility

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Yes, the US is delivering lesser top speeds than those places, but I think it's because US companies have determined that there's not enough consumer demand for it yet, whereas in some other countries that's not really analyzed.
    Have seen what Comcast and TWC have been doing in areas near Google Fiber neighborhoods? They're tripling speed and slashing prices. Amazing what a little bit of competition will do.

I bet all those people were like "Oh, no, please don't change a thing. I like it slower."
    Yes, and that will eventually happen everywhere. Free market at work. If another company can provide a better service for cheaper (or better for the same money), people will abandon their current company.

We don't need the government stepping in and mandating speeds and/or interfering with one corporation trying to charge another for causing them expense.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by thesparten View Post
    DEFLECT AND REDIRECT five of nine.
    I see what you're trying to do with the Borg insults, but they were a technologically superior race striving for perfection. It's not the most unflattering comparison.

Comments

thesparten: ww2 Germany anyone? when you corner a progressive with logic they always deflect and redirect or just call you a racist or sexiest or pick on spelling DEFLECT AND REDIRECT

Banned
    Load Metric
    Yes, and that will eventually happen everywhere. Free market at work. If another company can provide a better service for cheaper (or better for the same money), people will abandon their current company.

We don't need the government stepping in and mandating speeds and/or interfering with one corporation trying to charge another for causing them expense.
    At this point I will admit some ignorance on the subject and ask for clarification from others.

My vague understanding is that the government handed billions of dollars to the major ISPs a while back to lay down more fiber, and this money was mostly squandered. Is this correct?

My vague understanding of regulated utilities is that it opens up pipelines to various companies instead of allowing one company to control it. Is this correct? For example in Houston there are several electric companies that can provide you service using the same resources, and they all compete on price. Is that what happened when Bell got broken up?

If the above is true, wouldn't classifying internet service as a utility allow for other companies to finally compete with Comcast/TWC, using the fiber that we paid for in the first place? If so, this seems a reasonable solution, because the real problem is these two enormous companies gouging everybody and having no competition.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

At this point I will admit some ignorance on the subject and ask for clarification from others.

My vague understanding is that the government handed billions of dollars to the major ISPs a while back to lay down more fiber, and this money was mostly squandered. Is this correct?

My vague understanding of regulated utilities is that it opens up pipelines to various companies instead of allowing one company to control it. Is this correct? For example in Houston there are several electric companies that can provide you service using the same resources, and they all compete on price. Is that what happened when Bell got broken up?

If the above is true, wouldn't classifying internet service as a utility allow for other companies to finally compete with Comcast/TWC, using the fiber that we paid for in the first place? If so, this seems a reasonable solution, because the real problem is these two enormous companies gouging everybody and having no competition.
    You have it backwards, actually.

Regulated industries generally have little or no competition, and even if they do, they can't adjust prices without government approval, so competition doesn't matter much anyway. This was why flights and telephone long distance were so expensive before deregulation occurred in those industries.

I don't know about the big ISPs squandering money that was supposed to go to laying down fiber. If this is true, then action should be taken, but regulation of the internet is not the answer.

Regulation is basically the government saying, "Free market isn't working here. We need to step in and tightly control everything."

Deregulation has unfortunately become a dirty word over the past 15 years, due to failures with deregulating banks (mortgage crisis) and electricity companies (rolling blackouts). However, this wasn't the fault of deregulation itself, but rather a poor implementation of deregulation.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I forgot about airlines before deregulation ny to Florida roundtrip was 500 decades ago..when oil was 20 bucks a barrel and the average wage was way lower..airline trips were not done often and generally only for the well to do..like most things progressives do, it creates greater disparity regardless of there great marketing campaign..like al Gore wants to put a penny a mile tax that some working class guy will have to pay making 15$ hour in his used Honda civic. BETWEEN HIM AND BARBARA STREISAND THEY COULD LITE UP AN ENTIRE 3rd WORLD COUNTRY. I'm sorry I digress..

Load Metric

Comments

thesparten: finally we agree? it is ant competitive and create greater disparity..see Gruber . and obamacare..it's not what there telling us..then Obama did the Sgt. Shultz dance.

Sanlmar: John Oliver appreciation rep. I never miss

JUSTIFIEDhomicide: John Oliver is GOD

Banned
    Load Metric
    Holy shit, Tom Wheeler is not a cable lobby sock-puppet after all!

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015...l-competition/

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Banned
    Load Metric
    “This is no more a plan to regulate the Internet than the First Amendment is a plan to regulate free speech." - Tom Wheeler

Maybe he's full of shit, but it sounds like interest in maintaining the status quo.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    and in keeping states like Tennessee and North Carolina from restricting or overburdening internet commerce

Comments

thesparten: stop trolling me and neg rep me without couse, I don't mind the occasional sarcastic neg rep like rep whoring or something but your just being a dick at least if your going to neg rep me, make it funny , u ass wipe..

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    We have been so dummied down and so politically indoctrinated in the public school system, this actually passes...shame, what a a shame...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    “This is no more a plan to regulate the Internet than the First Amendment is a plan to regulate free speech." - Tom Wheeler

Maybe he's full of shit, but it sounds like interest in maintaining the status quo.
    Clever statement by Wheeler, but yes, he's full of shit.

This is selling something new to the public under the guise of keeping what they already like. We just experienced that recently.

"If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor."

GL to the future of reasonably priced US internet access.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    And to clarify, like the situation with Obama and the "if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor" nonsense, this isn't necessarily a case of outright lying.

It's not fully understanding the consequences and side-effects of what you are doing, and making promises/statements which will end up not being true within a short time of its actual implementation.

Load Metric
    Don't let Druff ruin your day, people.
    http://lifehacker.com/why-the-fccs-n...the-1683769527
    "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordman View Post
    I am a bit suspicious as to the fact that the larger companies are strongly supporting the government taking over the internet
    Nope. Comcast and the ISPs are fighting this tooth and nail.

The only opposition is from people who start with the ideological premise that everything that Obama and The Government do is bad, and work backwards from there.

Everyone who actually understands the situation knows it will be good for consumers.
    What about people who start with the ideological premise that everything that Obama and the government do is good? Get your tongue out of this buffoon's asshole and accept reality, even if it takes you admitting you are wrong.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Victory for Comcast and Time Warner = Evil corporations oppressing the public

Victory for Google, Netflix, and Facebook = Great day for the citizens of the free United States, triumphing over the oppression of evil corporations

Comments

DirtyB: You beat that straw man up good.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    That a boy druff.."shields high"

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    THIS IS SPARTA!! ARU!ARU!ARU!!

Load Metric
    So are you saying that if I like my internet I can keep my internet?

THANKS OBAMA

Comments

smithbk: you mean Al Gore's internet obv

PFA Radio Co-Host
    Load Metric

Have seen what Comcast and TWC have been doing in areas near Google Fiber neighborhoods? They're tripling speed and slashing prices. Amazing what a little bit of competition will do.

I bet all those people were like "Oh, no, please don't change a thing. I like it slower."

Google, one of the companies bringing this competition to the (uniformly lousy) cable TV providers, is staunchly pro-net neutrality.

Once again, net neutrality is what we have now.

Tangental note, anyone old enough to remember (I barely am), but one of the original selling points of cable TV was that if you paid for cable, you'd have no commercials on any of the channels. At a time when everyone had free over the air TV, they had to do something to appeal to people. That whole idea didn't last very long.

Thread Information