Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: World Chess Championship -- Carlsen v Anand, the rematch

Load Metric

World Chess Championship -- Carlsen v Anand, the rematch

from Sochi, Russia at 4am PST 11/8/14 start time of game 1, 12 game match to run 3-4 weeks this month...

I believe this may be the live online feed:

http://www.sochi2014.fide.com/live-games/

so get you geek on and be ready to watch some high level wood pushing
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    i dont see carlsen losing this time either.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Anand Viswanathan
    +300

reaaaaallllllyyyy.......

i mean yeah i like carlsen here but -500? fuckouttahere. more like -225.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    I'd like to see a victory for the middle-aged, but those odds are probably accurate for the kid from what I've read.

Load Metric
    im putting $100 on anand. carlsen has been dropping games.

i dont expect to win, and if it was a single point less than +300 id pass.

Load Metric
    You want Carlsen to win then..

23yr old Carlsen v 22yr old Caruana, a showdown between the world number one and world number two.

Caruana was born in Miami and lived in Brooklyn. Still US passport?

Carlsen loves to play post flop. Not too wrapped up in openings and all that. He's loose and smart obv.

Caruana is some kinda freak who has all the openings and plays stored in encyclopedic memory.

The Russian Chess powers to be will try to fuck this match up.

So the young Norwegian fashion model vs the US kid (#1 vs #2) would be a better story.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 11-07-2014 at 08:25 PM.

Load Metric
    LOL at having opinions on world level chess.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Caruana is some kinda freak who has all the openings and plays stored in encyclopedic memory.

you just described everyone with a 1900+ rating in all fairness.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

you just described everyone with a 1900+ rating in all fairness.
    Knew my description was weak when I wrote that.

I guess that was just my attempt to contrast their differing playing styles.

A match against top two yoots staged in US with differing styles might give chess a boost.

Caruana is young enough to still focus on chess 24/7. No other interests.

Carlsen is doing endorsements, modeling & plays some sports. He spoke on 60 minutes about being aware of the madness that often befalls the wunderkind like himself.

Load Metric
    i think that what turns a genius into a world champion is middle game. computers have effectively solved end game and book openings and are rapidly proving out most of the nuance from advanced middle game theory.. for about 15 years the top players have either embraced simulation for specific opponents or gone extinct.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    i think that what turns a genius into a world champion is middle game. computers have effectively solved end game and book openings and are rapidly proving out most of the nuance from advanced middle game theory.. for about 15 years the top players have either embraced simulation for specific opponents or gone extinct.
    From extensive reading on the subject and countless tournaments I will argue that the true masters
    are those who understand not the middle game but the pre-middlle game.

Want to make some money, forget the stock market and buy a subscription to my website
    www.pre-pre.win

Comments

Crowe Diddly: personally i think the late-early game is where it's at.

Load Metric
    World Champion Magnus Carlsen drew with challenger Viswanathan Anand in the first game of World Chess Championship 2014.
    After an aggressive start from the Indian Grand Master, the Norwegian whiz kid played a brilliant mid-game to wrest back initiative. Anand started losing the plot in the middle and committed errors towards the end. Magnus as usual kept on pushing for a win till the end, so much so that, even salvaging a draw became difficult for the Indian chess wizard. But, a brilliant move at the very end of the game helped Anand to force a draw.
    - See more at: http://www.hindustantimes.com/sports....5r41okLt.dpuf

Carlsen fucking up already.

Load Metric
    if anand can draw with carsen playing white, things are going to get interesting.

Load Metric
    Anand is too old and past his prime.

Carlsen will dominate this match.

Sonatine do you want to be $40 on this? ( Druff Escrow services)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by snowtracks View Post
    Anand is too old and past his prime.

Carlsen will dominate this match.

Sonatine do you want to be $40 on this? ( Druff Escrow services)

Nope, I put $100 on Anand because I think Carlsen is performing below average and at 3-to-1 Im willing to roll the dice. Certainly not looking to risk more than that on the greatest living chess player maybe having an off month.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    I wonder if these chess masters ever did something like Uncle Drew or something of that effect where they would go to Union Square Park and walk up and start off doing dumb moves and then dominating every homeless looking n-word in the park.

This would be great for the sport and provide much needed publicity and exposure.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post
    I wonder if these chess masters ever did something like Uncle Drew or something of that effect where they would go to Union Square Park and walk up and start off doing dumb moves and then dominating every homeless looking n-word in the park.

This would be great for the sport and provide much needed publicity and exposure.

I used to assume you were at least semi-intelligent, despite your sexual preferences

please post more in threads like this where you have to make an intellectual contribution

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post

Perhaps you are referring to an urban legend involving Emanual Lasker, world champion chess 1894 - 1921...i believe i first read this story 40 years ago in the forward to Laskers "Manual of Chess"...there the story occurs on a transatlantic crossing aboard ship...the below internet version occurs on a plane...otherwise, the details are much the same...

Lasker saw a young man sitting next to him studying Chess with a little board and decided to pay close attention to him, the young man asked him if he knew how to play Chess, "I know how the pieces move" Lasker answered. The young man invited Lasker to a game and gave him the odds of a Queen After Lasker "lost" the game, they played another Queen-odds game, which Lasker also "lost".

"What's the problem?" the young man asked, Lasker answered: "When you give me your Queen you have that empty square next to your King where he can move, which makes my attack very difficult and unsuccessful, let me give you Queen-odds and I might be able to win at least one game"

The young man smiled, "alright" he said as he set the board for a new game and took Lasker's Queen. Needless to say, Lasker destroyed his opponent right before landing time, the young man couldn't believe what just happened and while he was sitting there wondering, another passenger told him: "You just played Emanuel Lasker, a chess legend and World Champion with the best sense of humor".
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Booked (Escrow Druff)

My take is Anand will not go for the win.. defender style.

Just like Kasparov vs Deep Blue .. he just could not pull the trigger.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Comments

tyde: lol snowtracks for mod

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by snowtracks View Post
    Booked (Escrow Druff)

My take is Anand will not go for the win.. defender style.

Just like Kasparov vs Deep Blue .. he just could not pull the trigger.

booked what with who? what are you talking about?

Thread Information