Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: ****Official MLB Thread****

Load Metric

****Official MLB Thread****

I saw Dropkick mention starting a general baseball thread, but I don't see it, and figured I would for all of those of us that aren't Red Sox or Dodgers fans. Feel free to discuss or ask anything MLB related here including betting plays if you're wagering, or see a good line that you think can benefit the community.

I'm an Indians fan, and all I ever really hope for in their present state is to keep me interested until Buckeye football practice is in full swing. I said before the season I'd be shocked if they were in 1st place for a day this season, so they have already exceeded expectations for me at this point, and I was surprised to see them take 2 out of 3 against Texas over the weekend. The Rangers generally curbstomp them.

Have to LOL at the Al Central, one team with a + run differential, and I don't think I've ever seen a division where all the teams are playing significantly worse at home than on the road. Small sample size, but still strange. Obv. Detroit has the most talent, but they have yet to put it together. I still expect them to take the division.

CENTRAL W L PCT GB HOME ROAD RS RA DIFF STRK L10 POFF
    Cleveland 16 11 .593 - 7-8 9-3 125 122 +3 Won 2 7-3 34.1
    Detroit 14 13 .519 2 9-9 5-4 115 118 -3 Won 1 4-6 56.0
    Chicago Sox 13 16 .448 4 5-9 8-7 114 115 -1 Lost 2 3-7 32.6
    Kansas City 9 18 .333 7 2-12 7-6 104 133 -29 Lost 1 6-4 11.3
    Minnesota 7 20 .259 9 3-8 4-12 92 151 -59 Lost 2 2-8 0.9

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Long suffering O's fan here on cloud 9 with their start so far. It won't last but oh well.

We have a tough series with Tex coming up after our pitchers got used up with a 13 inning, 9 inning and then 17 inning games vs Boston the last 3 days.

Had to call up 2 relievers today just to field a pitching squad for the series.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post
    Long suffering O's fan here on cloud 9 with their start so far. It won't last but oh well.

We have a tough series with Tex coming up after our pitchers got used up with a 13 inning, 9 inning and then 17 inning games vs Boston the last 3 days.

What is the first thing the O's would have to do to become a winning ball club, and I'm not being a dick. I don't follow them as much as I used to, but where would you start?

Not counting their start this year cause they are on a heater.
    Of all the money e'er I had, I spent it in good company

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTemplar View Post

What is the first thing the O's would have to do to become a winning ball club, and I'm not being a dick. I don't follow them as much as I used to, but where would you start?

They have tight pursestrings to begin with AND they compound this with a propensity to overspend on high-priced, aged, free-agents........
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Platinum
    Load Metric

Have the owner assassinated.

He is one of the worst human beings to ever set foot on this planet.

Maybe one day I will enlighten the board how he has systematically ran the team into the ground, how he extorted MLB out of hundreds of millions with the Nats deal, and how he is pocketing every penny of profit from the regional RSN (MASN Mid Atlantic Sports Network) that he owns when he claimed it would go to increase the payroll to field a competitive team.

90% of the fans who refuse to support the team anymore do so because of him, and it has nothing to do with winning or losing. Many people outside of Baltimore just don't get this and think we have just given up because we lose. Not true in the least bit, it runs WAY deeper than that.

And until ownership changes the ballpark will be empty, because the fans refuse to line that crooks pockets anymore than we already do with the FORCED contribution on our cable bill for MASN that goes straight into his coffers.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Cole Hamels suspended for 5 games for hitting Bryce Harper for no apparent reason last night in his first AB. he said it was to "welcome him to the big leagues" for whatever fucking reason. I would have sat him down for about a month.

I have the pleasure of watching any Nationals game I want on MASN, and let me tell you Harper is a Jordan like talent who will be the best player in baseball by his 21st birthday. Book it.

Never seen a player like him in my 25 years of watching baseball.

The fucker stole home on Hamels after he plunked him, the ultimate fuck you!!n Love it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Cole Hamels suspended for 5 games for hitting Bryce Harper for no apparent reason last night in his first AB. he said it was to "welcome him to the big leagues" for whatever fucking reason. I would have sat him down for about a month.

I have the pleasure of watching any Nationals game I want on MASN, and let me tell you Harper is a Jordan like talent who will be the best player in baseball by his 21st birthday. Book it.

The fucker stole home on Hamels after he plunked him, the ultimate fuck you!!n Love it.
    I said this to a couple buddies a month ago. When all is said and done, Harper will be one of the top 10 ever.

Platinum
    Load Metric

I said this to a couple buddies a month ago. When all is said and done, Harper will be one of the top 10 ever.
    I had never really seen him play until he got called up, but man I could not believe what I saw. He has me making sure I don't miss a Nats game....just because of him.

Guy runs like he just stole something on every play, balls to the wall max hustle every time. And he is FAST too. Somewhere Pete Rose is smiling.

Case in point, 9th inning last night Nats down 3-1 with 2 outs and Harper is up no one on. He tags a weak base hit to shallow left center, you know just a routine base hit no big deal right? WRONG! He comes out of the box hauling ass and rounds first full speed going for a double, and you could almost see the left fielders jaw drop as he said to himself "what the hell is this kid doing??". He is caught totally off guard throws it high to second and Harper legs out a double that he had no business getting, moving into scoring position.

Plays like that you just don't see in baseball these days, and he has been doing shit like that since the day he was called up. Made a diving catch in the outfield a couple innings earlier to save a couple runs, remember he was a catcher his entire life and they moved him to LF.

Stealing home on a pick off play to 1st? Are you serious? Yeah he pulled that off too. He baited Hamels, saw he was paying way too much attention to the guy on first and made his move. It was a thing of beauty, just a heads up smart baseball play that no one has the balls to even try. Right in Hamels fucking face after he beaned him for no reason, and you know that was in the back of his head.

Kid is the real deal and and joy to watch.

Load Metric

Case in point, 9th inning last night Nats down 3-1 with 2 outs and Harper is up no one on. He tags a weak base hit to shallow left center, you know just a routine base hit no big deal right? WRONG! He comes out of the box hauling ass and rounds first full speed going for a double, and you could almost see the left fielders jaw drop as he said to himself "what the hell is this kid doing??". He is caught totally off guard throws it high to second and Harper legs out a double that he had no business getting, moving into scoring position.
    Not to be "that" guy, but the play you describe here is retarded and a rookie mistake. They were down two and by getting a hit the tying run will be up to the plate. How stupid does he look when he gets thrown out at 2nd to make the final out instead? Sometimes kamikaze isn't a good thing. Being at first or second make almost no difference down two.

The kid looks like a beast though. His arm is insane.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post

Not to be "that" guy, but the play you describe here is retarded and a rookie mistake. They were down two and by getting a hit the tying run will be up to the plate. How stupid does he look when he gets thrown out at 2nd to make the final out instead? Sometimes kamikaze isn't a good thing. Being at first or second make almost no difference down two.

I hate the kids personality but I like the effort

and to be fair he does play for the NATS, if its a pennant race or anything of the sort and he's pulling this shit I think you'd have the manager and media barking.

Platinum
    Load Metric

I want him to play with that same mindset at all times, it is what makes him great. And besides that fact, he has displayed an uncanny ability to pull off whatever he tries. Whether it be stealing home, diving for a ball in the outfield that is going all the way to the wall if you don't get it, or trying for that extra base it seems like he knows when to push that envelope and when not to. I can't remember one time so fasr that I have seen him try to be aggressive in whatever way and it not work.

He is just so special as a talent I think his "rules" are a little different, and you can give him the freedom to make those calls as long as he makes it +EV in the long run. The worst thing you could do is try to reign this kid in and start giving him limitations, that just would not work.

Load Metric

I want him to play with that same mindset at all times, it is what makes him great. And besides that fact, he has displayed an uncanny ability to pull off whatever he tries. Whether it be stealing home, diving for a ball in the outfield that is going all the way to the wall if you don't get it, or trying for that extra base it seems like he knows when to push that envelope and when not to. I can't remember one time so fasr that I have seen him try to be aggressive in whatever way and it not work.

He is just so special as a talent I think his "rules" are a little different, and you can give him the freedom to make those calls as long as he makes it +EV in the long run. The worst thing you could do is try to reign this kid in and start giving him limitations, that just would not work.
    Cliffs- you don't want him to be taught to play the right way?

Do you think he will always be able to get by on piss and vinegar? Going for 2nd in this situation is NEVER +ev if he gets thrown out one time in his career. There is simply no benefit. Trust me, I get what you are saying about him being a stud, but think how special he could be if he was also smart? The attempt at the throw from the warning track to get the tagging runner in his first game or two is a prime example. Even with an otherworldly throw he wasn't getting the guy. That throw needs to go to 2nd to hold the runner at first instead.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Serious question. Is baseball the most unpredictable major league sport to bet on?
    Any betting tips for this sport? lol

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    Serious question. Is baseball the most unpredictable major league sport to bet on?
    Yes! Any game where the best teams lose 35-40% of the time are not set up for gambling!

Load Metric
    Hamels is such a fucking retard for trying to act like he is some old school player showing up the rookie. Just say the ball got away from me, everyone knows its bullshit but you dont get suspended. Save the macho shit faggot.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Bryce Harper absolutely is the perfect example of playing the game the right way. Hard nosed and balls to the wall. Giving up your body for the good of the team. He kinda reminds me of a style you used to see back in the 50's and 60's. This is when every hit meant something, every out meant something, and every extra base meant something.

Now we know that yes of course one more or one less could be the difference in the game. What I mean is one more or one less could be the difference in them having a job the next day.

Long term contracts and big money really fucked this sport. You can see it in some players eyes that they really don't care. You can see two or three times a game where people aren't hustling. They aren't in fear of losing their job. And if they get cut, well they will still be paid 100% of their salary.

It's great to see young talent come up and play the game the way it should be played.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    Actually the best bet in all of sports, happens to be in baseball. Out of the major sports in America, only one doesn't have a time limit. The over in baseball is the best bet in sports. Yes their are innings and you can call that the time limit, but still the game is played till someone wins.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    For the people who haven't seen "When It Was A Game", it really is a beautiful documentary about baseball from the 40's through the later 60's. You can find the rest of the videos here. http://www.youtube.com/user/bball7363
    Enjoy.

1. Part2

1. Part3

1. Part4

1. Part5

1. Part6

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Awesome links Templar thanks dude, I'm watching this now.

BCR I was going to start a thread for noobs like me to ask stuff about baseball, stuff you guys might laugh at but now you have started this one I will post all my dumb questions and stuff here.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I heard a good story about Harper last week. he was on his way to the park for like his second game and saw a slow pitch softball game going and he stopped in and hit some galactic moonshots just for the fun of it

Thread Information