Thread: Mr Hockey suffers stroke

Banned
    Load Metric

Mr Hockey suffers stroke

Hockey great Gordie Howe suffered a serious stroke Sunday and has lost some function on the right side of his body and has difficulty speaking, his daughter, Cathy Purnell, confirmed to ESPN.com.

Howe, who suffered the stroke while in Texas, is recovering at his daughter's house in Lubbock, his son told The Detroit News. Dr. Murray Howe is the head of the department of radiology at Toledo Hospital in Ohio.

"Basically, sometime in the early morning on Sunday he suffered a pretty bad stroke," Dr. Howe told the News.

"The right side of his body is very, very weak. He's unable to stand without help. He's able to speak, but very, very difficult to speak.

"He knows who he is. He knows the people around him. But it is very difficult for him to get up and walk around. So he is pretty much confined to his bed right now. So we're just trying to keep him comfortable, and that's our goal."

Purnell told ESPN.com her father has been looking at family pictures and pictures from his playing days, and he's able to recognize and identify people he played with. She said his three sons were on the way there to see him.

"What he's most excited about is that his boys are coming in. He keeps pointing at the clock and looking at me," Purnell said.

Howe's son told the News that "Mr. Hockey" had returned to shape and was walking up to a mile a day after undergoing spinal surgery this summer. But while the surgery helped alleviate one problem, his recovery from the stroke will be "a little bit tougher to fight."

"For any fans who are concerned about him, they should know that he's very comfortable and he's surrounded by family," he told the News. "And that is our goal, to make sure he is as happy and comfortable as can be, until the end."

Purnell echoed her brother's sentiments.

"He had a few moments of clarity today and it was really good to see the resilience in him. He's a tough old bird. His spirits are high.

"I watched him play hockey a lot of years and this is the biggest fight he's ever had. He's working hard to get through of it and I'm proud of him."

The 86-year-old Howe was a six-time winner of the Hart Trophy as league most valuable player, winner of six Art Ross Trophies as the leading scorer and played on four Stanley Cup-winning teams with the Detroit Red Wings.

The National Hockey League released a statement via Twitter Tuesday night, saying, "The NHL family sends prayers for strength & healing to our revered Gordie Howe. We wish him a speedy & full recovery."

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/11...-daughter-home

Name:  RedWings+GordieHowe.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  44.0 KB

Load Metric
    I literally had a food fight with Gordie when I was 11. It's a long story.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    I literally had a food fight with Gordie when I was 11. It's a long story.
    If that's a long story, Druff is Proust.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Load Metric
    Sorry to hear this. He's an absolute legend in the hockey world.

Best wishes to Gordie & his family.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Saskatchewan farm boy. Supposedly slapped

the Dr. when he was born

Seriously though, that poor guy has been run

ragged since retirement by his now dead wife and family,

all for the money.

Sad in a way.

Load Metric
    He's now in intensive care in hospital after what was first reported as another stroke but they are now saying it was dehydration. I can't see him lasting until 2015. It will be a sad day for hockey when he's gone.

The latest update on Gordie Howe is not one that the hockey world wants to hear.

His son, Mark Howe, has revealed that Mr. Hockey suffered a major stroke on Monday. The legendary forward is currently resting in the intensive care unit, according to Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press.

The 86-year-old suffers from dementia and has experienced several strokes in recent weeks, including a minor one on Saturday

More details to follow as they become available.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    He's now in intensive care in hospital after what was first reported as another stroke but they are now saying it was dehydration. I can't see him lasting until 2015. It will be a sad day for hockey when he's gone.

The latest update on Gordie Howe is not one that the hockey world wants to hear.

His son, Mark Howe, has revealed that Mr. Hockey suffered a major stroke on Monday. The legendary forward is currently resting in the intensive care unit, according to Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press.

The 86-year-old suffers from dementia and has experienced several strokes in recent weeks, including a minor one on Saturday

More details to follow as they become available.
    Oh Good Lord, STFU. You did not know the guy and he sure as shit did not associate with you. And nobody gives a shit about hockey anyway. If you put a rifle to my head I am going to say the team he played for was the Tampa Bay Lightning.

I always love these fucking fan boys crying over some athlete they never met. Get a life.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Oh Good Lord, STFU. You did not know the guy and he sure as shit did not associate with you. And nobody gives a shit about hockey anyway. If you put a rifle to my head I am going to say the team he played for was the Tampa Bay Lightning.

I always love these fucking fan boys crying over some athlete they never met. Get a life.
    Hopefully, you get your mental illness properly diagnosed in the near future.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Banned
    Load Metric
    I've met Gordie Howe a few times, he's around the Joe a lot actually.

Banned
    Load Metric

GORDIE IS GOD

Comments

Hockey Guy: true dat

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

God can you be stupid. Howe is a true legend who entertained millions for years and
    was apparently as nice a person as would you'd care to meet. You don't like hockey, then don't bother with this thread, even though it's about an icon, not a game

Now get back to your beach volleyball.

Banned
    Load Metric

GOD DAMNIT GORDIE IS FUCKING GOD IDIOTS, DEAL

YOU CANT AFFORD

Thread Information