Thread: Rockford Files on Netflix

Load Metric

Rockford Files on Netflix

Not sure if Druff has the box set yet, but if not, they are all at your disposal, now.

I'm like 2 years older than druff, so I get a lot of his 80's references and I liked James Garner, I remember watching Maverick reruns, and he did this movie "Support your local sheriff", that played every year at summer camp.

But, I don't remember watching Rockford files at all (my parents did).

God knows I rarely agree w/druff, and I've only seen 5 episodes, but he is right on this one.
    Great show, and like he said, it stands the test of time. Good story lines and funny.

*his buddy on the force was on season 5 of the Sopranos, Angelo Gaspare.
    *James Woods is in the 3rd one,
    San Francisco crowned the ‘world’s best’ city to live: survey
    https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...o-live-survey/

Banned
    Load Metric
    Rockford Files was one of my favorite after-school shows. We had hundreds of cable channels and now have streaming online services. It needn't be a strictly generational thing.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I already have the entire series on DVD, including the 8 TV movies. Yes, there were 8 TV movies, all made in the mid-1990s. They were inferior to the series (partially because Garner was already around 70 at the time, and partially because the writing wasn't as good), but still watchable if you've seen the entire regular series and want more.

As with most shows, the first few episodes aren't as good as most of the rest of the series, as it was still "finding itself" at that point. But it hit its groove pretty quickly, and unlike many other successful series, it didn't degrade much at the end of its run. Much of this is because Rockford ended prematurely. James Garner, who did his own stunts, developed bad knees in 1979 to where he couldn't continue filming. Since the show was expensive to make (due to extensive on-location filming around Los Angeles), and because it was starting to slip in the ratings anyway, they decided just to cancel it, rather than waiting for Garner to recover. Season 6 is substantially shorter than the others for this reason, and also because the final four episodes were destroyed in a studio fire.

But anyway, yes, the show holds up today better than just about anything I've seen from the 1970s (except perhaps All in the Family).

You can watch it out of order, because there is no continuous storyline.

Jimmy, people our age caught the show in afternoon reruns. It ran from 1974-1980, so the last episode aired before my 8th birthday. It survived for a long time in reruns because it has a timeless appeal, to where younger generations were able to appreciate it.

If you grew up in Los Angeles in the 1970s like I did, you get an added bonus of being able to relive what the city looked like during your childhood, as the on-location filming now gives you a great view of that.

Comments

bukowski72: My after school show was Quincy which my father hated--he said every episode was the same like Scooby Doo

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I already have the entire series on DVD, including the 8 TV movies. Yes, there were 8 TV movies, all made in the mid-1990s. They were inferior to the series (partially because Garner was already around 70 at the time, and partially because the writing wasn't as good), but still watchable if you've seen the entire regular series and want more.

As with most shows, the first few episodes aren't as good as most of the rest of the series, as it was still "finding itself" at that point. But it hit its groove pretty quickly, and unlike many other successful series, it didn't degrade much at the end of its run. Much of this is because Rockford ended prematurely. James Garner, who did his own stunts, developed bad knees in 1979 to where he couldn't continue filming. Since the show was expensive to make (due to extensive on-location filming around Los Angeles), and because it was starting to slip in the ratings anyway, they decided just to cancel it, rather than waiting for Garner to recover. Season 6 is substantially shorter than the others for this reason, and also because the final four episodes were destroyed in a studio fire.

But anyway, yes, the show holds up today better than just about anything I've seen from the 1970s (except perhaps All in the Family).

Jimmy, people our age caught the show in afternoon reruns. It ran from 1974-1980, so the last episode aired before my 8th birthday. It survived for a long time in reruns because it has a timeless appeal, to where younger generations were able to appreciate it.

If you grew up in Los Angeles in the 1970s like I did, you get an added bonus of being able to relive what the city looked like during your childhood, as the on-location filming now gives you a great view of that.

DELETED FROM NET

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

DELETED FROM NET
    Someone has been drinking before noon again.

Banned
    Load Metric

Comments

JimmyG_415: I love this theme song, too

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post

DELETED FROM NET
    Someone has been drinking before noon again.

lol started at 10:30 AM

nailed me

Load Metric
    I really like the Lance White (Tom Sellek) episodes.

Isaac Hayes as Rockfish's old prison buddy is amazing too.

Great Series and it's on MeTV daily at noon pt.
    Last edited by Flipper_Fair; 10-21-2014 at 03:01 PM. Reason: had time of show wrong

Load Metric
    Prop bet on Druff's opening song?

Thread Information