Thread: Streaming media to your tv: Xbox One or PS4?

Load Metric

Streaming media to your tv: Xbox One or PS4?

Going to upgrade my gaming console and wanted to get some feedback on which would be the more robust multi media streaming solution...

Probably 98% of what I do with my 360 is stream videos to it. Its good at it, not great. EG: Everything and its tits is .mkv these days, so I have to constantly transcode shit into mp4 or avi, which is notoriously flakey and often leaves me with sync issues, beyond being a huge pain in the ass.

My concern is that I hear PS4 is even more picky.

I understand that Plesk can stream great to PS4 via some sort of HTML5 voodoo which intrigues me but Im still hesitant to drop the hammer because of how picky PS4 is over codecs...

Anyone here have any experience on this front? Is one measurably better than the other at this? Can I stream to PS4 as well as Xbox via Vuze? Etc.

TIA.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Banned
    Load Metric
    I use Roku as a dedicated Netflix machine, but have had good experiences using the Plex app on it. I switched to that after discovering that PS3 sucks ass as a media server.

Load Metric
    Lock it up you fat nerds

Load Metric
    Yeah I heard PS3 was essentially garbage for streaming.

Roku... sigh... ill give it serious thought based on your recommendation, I was really hoping to get away from relying on a third HDMI input tho. Its just a question of aesthetics somehow, nothing pragmatic.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lol wow View Post
    Lock it up you fat nerds

fat?

we swoll bro.

Load Metric
    I have a Roku and would recommend as well

Load Metric
    Is the roku easy to use for technologically retarded people over the age of 50?

And can you plug a usb HD directly into it, and it will import all the media + be easy to navigate through menus?

Used to an apple tv + XBMC combo here but looking for something for parents/inlaws.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Is the roku easy to use for technologically retarded people over the age of 50?

And can you plug a usb HD directly into it, and it will import all the media + be easy to navigate through menus?

Used to an apple tv + XBMC combo here but looking for something for parents/inlaws.
    No, Roku does not actually store media. You run Plex Media Server on your PC, install the Plex app on Roku, and the two devices talk to each other. It's not super complex, but would not recommend for the technologically retarded.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    I use Roku as a dedicated Netflix machine, but have had good experiences using the Plex app on it. I switched to that after discovering that PS3 sucks ass as a media server.
    What ARE the advantages of Roku over PS3? I've been using PS3 and have been pretty happy for the most part. I'd like to be able to stream HD though. Does Roku handle that?

Load Metric
    https://www.roku.com/products/compare

that said... im not a huge fan of streaming HD over wifi, and I dont see any wired solution with the roku beyond a USB port, and streaming HD over USB doesnt sound very fancy either.

my xbox 360 streams HD something fierce as long as its plugged into the LAN, btw. oddly i can stream HD to it from a wifi connected laptop but the 360 has shite streaming when its on the network via wifi.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

that said... im not a huge fan of streaming HD over wifi, and I dont see any wired solution with the roku beyond a USB port, and streaming HD over USB doesnt sound very fancy either.

my xbox 360 streams HD something fierce as long as its plugged into the LAN, btw. oddly i can stream HD to it from a wifi connected laptop but the 360 has shite streaming when its on the network via wifi.
    What are the disadvantages of plugging a computer into your TV and using it as a monitor to play media?

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I have the Xbox One and the PS4, and the One is the superior multi media machine, including streaming. The PS4 isn't bad, but it's a gaming machine first.

Comments

sonatine: knowledge.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdwst Hstlr View Post

What are the disadvantages of plugging a computer into your TV and using it as a monitor to play media?

I never really considered it to be honest, but in the past when Ive tried to use my TV as a monitor for whatever reason its looked like ass.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    why all the ps3 hate? streams audio and video files from my server, Netflix as well. never any problems.

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdwst Hstlr View Post

Monitors make good monitors. Some TVs make great monitors and some TVs make shit monitors. It depends on the TV and the output source. Also audio can be a problem.

Comments

rickastley: say no to gif avatars
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    All of them work. I have a laptop that does fine too but directly with either Serviio or Windows Media Server to blu-ray player but Roku is keeping up well with their shit.

Soon though...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...g-systems.html

Thread Information