Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hackers have been collecting nudes off Snapchat for years

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Hackers have been collecting nudes off Snapchat for years

Kids today....

Snapchat is a popular app where you send pictures/videos of yourself to people which "expire". Teens like using Snapchat to send nudes, because they naively believe that their pics and videos will really vanish seconds after being seen.

I always thought this was idiotic. Even someone with no technical skill can easily use a second device to "take a picture of a picture" and save the video/picture permanently.

Always felt that Snapchat gave these idiotic kids an incorrect illusion of security.

And it's much worse than I imagined.

Turns out hackers have claimed to have infiltrated Snapchat years ago, and have been storing many files to have passed through the service for years.

A massive 13 GB data dump was just released on Thursday, and will soon be indexed and made available to the public, including pics of underage teens.

Whoops.

http://www.businessinsider.com/snapc...pening-2014-10

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also in January, hackers found a way to match phone numbers with user names on the app, and released a list of 4.6 million of them.

Ooooops.

http://www.businessinsider.com/snapc...apology-2014-1

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Turns out hackers have claimed to have infiltrated Snapchat years ago, and have been storing many files to have passed through the service for years.
    It doesn't look like Snapchat, the company, had anything to do with it.

"A third-party Snapchat client app has been collecting every single photo and video file sent through it for years, giving hackers access to a 13GB library of Snapchats that users thought had been deleted."

The only people who got burned are people who went to snapsaved.com, specifically trying to save pictures that Snapchat was trying to delete- and unfortunately the people who were sending them pictures. 13GB is a lot of pictures, but it's probably 60 seconds of what the actual Snapchat servers get.

What confuses me is why Snapchat would have third party clients. Companies open up their interfaces so that other people will essential do development work for free, and save the company the expense. But Snapchat has an official client. And if the whole purpose of your service involves the forced deletion of files, it seems like having complete control of the client is important.

Load Metric
    Yeah not to defend Snapchat's security but this had nothing to do with Snapchat, its a 3rd party app that took the Snapchat API and modified it so you could save pics you receive.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Well... they haven't made great night vision web cams yet or else everyone's computer gets hacked into and everyone's cock or pussy is on the net.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post
    What confuses me is why Snapchat would have third party clients. Companies open up their interfaces so that other people will essential do development work for free, and save the company the expense. But Snapchat has an official client. And if the whole purpose of your service involves the forced deletion of files, it seems like having complete control of the client is important.

How do you confirm the integrity of an application remotely? Especially one as unsophisticated as Snapchat. Its just a bunch of very simple, very straight forward API calls:

http://gibsonsec.org/snapchat/fulldisclosure/

nahmean?

The only way you could get anywhere would be doing like hash checksum of the client binary and using that as some sort of salt, but then you have issues with people running older clients/newer clients.. plus one could do end-runs around the checksum routine in memory, soo...

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yeah I saw after I made this post that it was a third party app.

But didn't the snapsaved site also victimize people who SENT pics to people running it? So like you could have used the regular Snapchat app, someone on snapsaved received it, and then your picture ends up on 4chan. So that's still pretty bad.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post
    It doesn't look like Snapchat, the company, had anything to do with it.

Druff prefers the sensationalised headlines RIGHT NOW and maybe apologising a little later. Much like how British pokerstars players wont be able to play ROW and and and.
    When faced with a difficult decision, ask yourself "What would Micon do?", then do the opposite.

PFA Rookie of the Year Awards
    2012: The Templar (unknown)
    2013: Jasep $5000+
    2015: Micon's gofundme legal defense $3k begging for 100k:
    2018: 4Dragons
    2019: Dutch Boyd: Mike Postle
    2020: Covid19
    2021: SMIFlorida and some sort of shit coins for $50k
    2022: BDubs leaks chums club info
    2023: 22nd Feb 4th Dec Youtube channels removed
    2024: Dustin Morgan wins Chrissy's $1000 contest

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Even someone with no technical skill can easily use a second device to "take a picture of a picture" and save the video/picture permanently.
    Easier to just screenshot it without the second device

Load Metric

But didn't the snapsaved site also victimize people who SENT pics to people running it? So like you could have used the regular Snapchat app, someone on snapsaved received it, and then your picture ends up on 4chan. So that's still pretty bad.

i dont have the technical details but the path of least resistance would be to have snapsave authenticate off the main snapchat servers, receive updates from the main snapchat servers, download images from the main snapchat servers, but _send_ images to other users by proxying the image, destination address, and session key through an arbitrary host...

lots of ways to skin that cat, is my point. up to and including sending everything direct through the main hosts and simply resending a copy of everything sent and received to an attack server. id imagine someone would catch that shit fast tho...

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    yeah... hackers...

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    yeah... hackers...

Load Metric
    again not one fucking pic, title of thread had lots of potential and than..... flat tire nothing.

good night.
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    again not one fucking pic, title of thread had lots of potential and than..... flat tire nothing.

good night.
    Most of those pics I wouldn't allow here anyway, as the people featured would primarily be under 18.

Banned
    Load Metric

Todd please stop pretending that you're an expert master hacker/programmer even close to being in the same league as Sonatine

its like comparing Pop Warner to the NFL

Comments

Muck Ficon: Lol. This is right up your alley, pictures of underage boy's cocks

1marley1: gfyt

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    Even someone with no technical skill can easily use a second device to "take a picture of a picture" and save the video/picture permanently.

It sends a notification that your picture was screenshot to the person that took the picture

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post

Todd please stop pretending that you're an expert master hacker/programmer even close to being in the same league as Sonatine

Let's not start this crap again, Marty.

This Pop Warner quarterback demonstrated plenty on your own various sites, so I would think you'd be be the last person hitting be with this line of trolling.

The truth is that I just skimmed the article and posted it here, which is why I initially left out the important detail that it was a third party app involved.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lewfather View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post

It sends a notification that your picture was screenshot to the person that took the picture
    in generic terms this is correct.

but in terms of street level sneaky shit, it is not entirely true.

example; if you call the API for screensave, then the application recognizes that and phones it in.

but if you install a third party app that defines the screensave API from the ground up with a new name, a new function key to spawn it, i do not believe that would be caught by the app and reported.

Comments

lewfather: not denying that, obv that's what happened here, just meant in general terms of screenshot

Load Metric
    also druff and i have the EXACT same amount of rep.

EXACT.

DEAL WITH THAT NERDS.

Comments

nunbeater: dealt with bitch

wrenchjockey: Fixed

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post

Let's not start this crap again, Marty.

This Pop Warner quarterback demonstrated plenty on your own various sites, so I would think you'd be be the last person hitting be with this line of trolling.

The truth is that I just skimmed the article and posted it here, which is why I initially left out the important detail that it was a third party app involved.
    You do realize you are communicating with a guy whose neighbor is punching stray dogs in the stomach?

Thread Information