Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parachuting / Skydiving

Bronze
    Load Metric

Parachuting / Skydiving

I have an opportunity to do this. Have to go the whole tandem dynamic gay duo route.

Anyone ever done this? Not a fan of heights or flying, but looking to push my limits.

My big fear is the connection to my friend will break and I will fly uncontrolably into a building. My buddy says there is less than a 1% chance of that ever happening. But there is a chance.

Anyone ever skydive? Also anyone ever do the dynamic gay dou route? I guess in theory every first jump has to be the tandem.

Load Metric
    Skydiving is tight, but yes, had to do the tandem thing. I jumped in Indiana and I think three tandem jumps enables you do a solo one.

I also went paragliding in Nepal, which was nice but kind of boring.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Almost everyone who sky dives goes tandem. Basically the quickest way to jump solo is to do static line jumps but then you don't get a freefall since your chute is automatically pulled once you get away from the plane. Outside of that you have to go through an Accelerated Free Fall (AFF) program with like an 8 hours ground course, then two instructors holding onto you when you jump and you progress through that. It's actually the quickest way to get licensed to truly be able to jump solo but it's pretty time consuming & expensive. I was actually disappointed by jumping tandem but had to jump for a lower altitude then normal because of weather conditions. I still enjoyed the freefall enough that I plan on going through AFF later this year. If you're not a fan of heights though I imagine it will be a really big rush. Jumping out of a plane will definitely get your heart going & if nothing else it's worth doing once to say you did it.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    make sure the teacher harness you in. someone died just a few days ago near me feel 600 ft to ground sure didnt feel to good.
    http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Pil...902/story.html

Load Metric
    Did it once, and will definitely do it again someday. Was at this place http://www.skydivenewengland.com/ probably like 10 years ago.

First you watch the "You're gonna die and it ain't our fault" video, they you practice the form that you use while falling for a while, some more safety talk and signing away all your rights, then into the plane we went (was the 1st flight of the day, took maybe 1.5 hours until we were in the plane, which went by very quickly). It was an older plane with the same bench seats as a shitty high school football field, and since the plane is essentially a giant, hollow, rickety-sounding tin tube, you are comforted with the thought of getting out of that plane as soon as possible anyway, and the 'chute is your fastest option. At least, that's what I told myself to keep from shitting myself.

I happened to luck out and be the first out of the plane when I went, so once we hit 8,000 ft (I think), me and my male knapsack got up, waddled up to the wide-open doorway near the front, and stopped right at the door, facing forward, right foot maybe an inch from the outside. The guy who filmed it (for an extra $50 or something) hopped out first with his camera, guy strapped to my back counted from 3 down, and we stepped into the sky. You're not actually jumping out of the plane, you are basically stepping to your right out and of the plane, and gravity and the wind take you the rest of the way.

Every few seconds on the way down, I'd start to laugh, which I remember because you can't really keep your mouth open very much during the fall, close it, forget again after like 5 seconds, get immediate dry mouth, close it, and repeat a bunch of times. For the first little while, you really have no visual clues from the ground that you are falling. You're just sorta hanging in the nothing if you have your back arched and hands and legs out in the right position. At some point, the human backpack asks if you want to do a few flips and whatever. Fucking right I do! I don't think I had to really do much, the tandem guy handled all that, and we did some flips or rolls or whatever. All the while, the cameraman who jumped separately is going around and over and under us as if we we standing still, zipping along in the air like it's no big deal.

Chute came out when it was supposed to, landing was no issue, and everyone made it out in one piece. I like roller coasters and thrill rides and all that stuff, but the skydive was quite different than those things. I had less of the "oh fuck we're gonna crash or smash the ground" feeling/rush while skydiving than most good roller coasters, but you get way more time to actually do and feel shit during the dive. Great fun.

Do it.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Ticked it off my bucket list in Australia 3 years ago. Tandem jump from 14,000ft, absolutely loved every second of it, totally exhilarating, was on a natural high for days. Forget the silly scare stories, accidents are extremely rare, you're far more likely to get hurt or killed next time you go somewhere in a car. My tandem guy had done 5.5K jumps without incident.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryQQQ View Post
    Ticked it off my bucket list in Australia 3 years ago. Tandem jump from 14,000ft, absolutely loved every second of it, totally exhilarating, was on a natural high for days. Forget the silly scare stories, accidents are extremely rare, you're far more likely to get hurt or killed next time you go somewhere in a car. My tandem guy had done 5.5K jumps without incident.
    where you go in aus? i did my in mission beach

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    HOW ABOUT THIS...

Load Metric
    I've always wanted to Skydive. I hate heights but that wouldn't stop me from doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The PHA View Post
    I have an opportunity to do this. Have to go the whole tandem dynamic gay duo route.

Anyone ever done this? Not a fan of heights or flying, but looking to push my limits.

My big fear is the connection to my friend will break and I will fly uncontrolably into a building. My buddy says there is less than a 1% chance of that ever happening. But there is a chance.

Anyone ever skydive? Also anyone ever do the dynamic gay dou route? I guess in theory every first jump has to be the tandem.
    Jumping tandem is not 'gay'. IMO it takes balls to jump out of a perfectly good airplane.

I just don't understand why folks do this but then again I'm a guy who once rode a roller coaster and swore I would never do it again. I never have.

My niece enjoys jumping out of airplanes but she did two tours in Afghanistan during her Air Force career. I admire and respect those who have the Moxie to parachute jump; I just have no desire to do it.

It seems to be a popular bucket list item but make no mistake about it............it is fucking dangerous.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by yaahello View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryQQQ View Post
    where you go in aus? i did my in mission beach
    Byron Bay

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by son of lockman View Post
    HOW ABOUT THIS...

that seems a whole lot of fake to me

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I elected not to jump. I'd sense I'd have a panic fall.

Not best thread.

/end

Load Metric
    Oh you should have gone! I've been wanting to go skydiving for a while, I've done the bungee jumping thing and that was breath-taking, I can only imagine how much of a thrill it is to go skydiving!

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Beebs9Dizzle View Post
    Oh you should have gone! I've been wanting to go skydiving for a while, I've done the bungee jumping thing and that was breath-taking, I can only imagine how much of a thrill it is to go skydiving!
    It was just beginning to freak me out to the point I was having trouble sleeping. There was a recurring dream where I would separate from my jump partner and spiral out of control into a glass building.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Yeah this is one big

Name:  fail.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  129.1 KB

of a thread. Your fear of flying into a glass building? I think most skydiving outfits try to avoid the downtown core.

Maybe the fear of what might happen when you're tandem, so to speak, is what was buggin you.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Beebs9Dizzle View Post
    It was just beginning to freak me out to the point I was having trouble sleeping. There was a recurring dream where I would separate from my jump partner and spiral out of control into a glass building.
    That is only part of the thrill!

Load Metric

I've gone skydiving twice now. Both from around 17k feet. In Ca at least you have to tandem jump like 6 times before you can jump alone.

I highly highly recommend the experience, at least once. I've detailed my ordeal with a guy named "chance" on one of these sites, it's a funny read if you can find it. There is no possible way your jump can go worse than mine did, and I still loved it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine
    i was pretty butt-hurt when mike said he didnt want to fuck with my home game because i was trannie-bombing threads, but ive definitely come to appreciate mike as a poster and a person and feel genuinely that the last thing on earth he deserves is a dime-store bipolar fruitcake like marty threatening him.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    When I started you didn't have to do a tandem you could go straight into the AFF course(took 7 jumps to get off student status if you passed each level). Day and a half of ground school and then jump with two instructors holding onto ya.

Tandem is good for a first jump since the sensory overload can be a bit much your first time.

Static line is a terrible way to go as you don't learn how to interact with others in the air. There was a girl that had gone the static line route we did a 4 way jump with and she had gotten below all of us, when we were diving down to re dock with her out of nowhere she pulled her chute with no wave off and almost took us out so fuck static line lol.

Bronze
    Load Metric

Thread Information