Thread: Don't upgrade to iOS 8 if you have an iPhone 4S

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Don't upgrade to iOS 8 if you have an iPhone 4S

Apparently iOS 8 is wreaking havoc upon the iPhone 4S, both slowing it down and killing the battery.

Safari is said to run 2.5x SLOWER on iOS 8 on a 4S device. Ouch.

The same is not reported on the iPhone 5 and 5S. I don't even think it will work on the iPhone 4.

If you don't have iOS 7.1.2 yet, I suggest you get it, as Apple will disable the ability to upgrade to it within a few days (maybe even sooner).

To go to 7.1.2 instead of 8, go here: http://www.redmondpie.com/download-i...ownload-links/ ... then download the appropraite IPSW file for your device.

Then start iTunes and hold down Shift while you press the Update button for your device. It will ask you to select a file, and pick the IPSW you just downloaded. It should upgrade to 7.1.2 instead of 8.

Make sure you have the latest iTunes before doing any of this.

Comments

Prodigal son: Thanks for warning

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Are you going to upgrade to a 6 or 6+

Load Metric
    The iPhone 4S is 2 years old and is now obsolete.
    The only reason to still hold on to it is to have it jailbroken and run apps from Cydia.
    It is probably not a good idea to try and jailbreak the iPhone 6.

Does size matter?

You seriously prefer having a 3.5" iphone to a 5.5" iphone.

*giggling*

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I don't mind the 4S at all. While I like bigger screens (I only buy 17" laptops), I also don't like huge phones because I keep them in my pocket.

But yes, the ability to jailbreak is most important to me.

Also important to me is the fact that I hate upgrading a perfectly good phone just because a new one comes out. I've never been one who feels he has to have the latest and greatest in technology -- just something that works.

Once a phone either starts performing poorly or becomes obsolete, I move up.

The 4S still performs fine. Having iOS 6 had some minor annoyances (specifically, the inability to run certain apps that required iOS 7), but the only way to jailbreak it was that shady-looking Pangu tool from China, and I didn't trust it. So I stayed at iOS 6.

By this point, Pangu has been around for awhile and nobody has reported problems with it. So I trust it. More importantly, since iOS 8 is not compatible with my 4S, it was VERY IMPORTANT to upgrade to the latest iOS 7, since that's apparently the last upgrade I'll get to make. If I didn't, soon many apps would be unavailable to me.

So I went through the arduous process last night to upgrade to 7.1.2, which would have been relatively easy just before they released iOS 8, but very time consuming with having to do it manually to avoid 8.

Anyway, it worked, so now I have iOS 7.1.2 with jailbreak, and I can extend the life of my 4S.

Load Metric
    i downloaded the new software yesterday (5s). Seems to be fine. Only notice a difference in texting and I'm not sure its a good difference yet. The voice texting is pretty cool.

Load Metric
    Its only been a day but my wife upgraded to ios 8 on a 4s without any issues yet.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I updated on the 5 , solid so far, every update has had better and better stuff

that said I am switching to tmobile from verizon prob this week. Will save about $1000 a year on 3 lines + will get the 6+ FTW more than likely

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post

that said I am switching to tmobile from verizon prob this week. Will save about $1000 a year on 3 lines + will get the 6+ FTW more than likely
    Beware that TMobile has horrrrrrrrrrrrrible customer service, so GL to you if you get any problems or billing errors.

Have you looked at AT&T? I find their customer service is mostly good, and they aren't as expensive as Verizon (last I checked, though I'm grandfathered into a great rate that no longer exists).

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Beware that TMobile has horrrrrrrrrrrrrible customer service, so GL to you if you get any problems or billing errors.

Have you looked at AT&T? I find their customer service is mostly good, and they aren't as expensive as Verizon (last I checked, though I'm grandfathered into a great rate that no longer exists).
    ATT is a bit more expensive I think. If the tmobile loaner phone works good in spots I will be mostly I will go with them. I am pretty sure this will be a grand slam.

Tmobile I can get 4 lines 2.5 gb data per phone for $100 a month. I pay about $210 now for 3 lines through verizon. You have to buy the phones full from tmobile but even considering that the prices are still much better.

Sprint has the best deal but I have heard they have the worst customer service and the service is below par.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Just checked and 3 lines at att is about 160 after taxes which is decent but tmobile is $600 less than that per year and I get a 4th line with them

*giggling*
    Load Metric

Don't upgrade to iOS 8 if you have an iPhone 4S

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/09...d-performance/

At this point, the iOS 8 update for the iPhone 4s is hard to recommend. It’s extremely sluggish at times, apps are inconsistent, and we’ve run into an assortment of other smaller problems that could cause you headaches going forward. iOS 8 does come with some fantastic features but they’re brought down, at least for now, by the overall performance.

Load Metric

ATT is a bit more expensive I think. If the tmobile loaner phone works good in spots I will be mostly I will go with them. I am pretty sure this will be a grand slam.

Tmobile I can get 4 lines 2.5 gb data per phone for $100 a month. I pay about $210 now for 3 lines through verizon. You have to buy the phones full from tmobile but even considering that the prices are still much better.

Sprint has the best deal but I have heard they have the worst customer service and the service is below par.
    Do not go through Sprint, at all unless you like talking to some asshole for about 8 hours every weekend. I know it sounds ridiculous but I seriously would spend 4 hours a day 2 days a week talking to Sprint trying to get their fuck-ups fixed. The best was when some bitch offered me a free 3 month trial of some service or other. I politely declined. She kept insisting, telling me it was free for three months and how easy it was to cancel the service after the three months. I still declined because I know how Sprint operates and free and easy to cancel are not their fucking forte. Anyways this cunt keeps pressing the issue until finally I agree so I can get off the fucking phone with her.

So, two and a half months later I call Sprint regarding this free service that I can easily cancel after three months and I say hey, I want the free service that I literally never ever used shut off. The guy was like I'm sorry sir, that is not a free service. I was like no, the last time I was on the phone with you fucking retards the lady told me she would give me this service for free for three months. So the guy is like no, she was not authorized to give you this service for free for three months and you have been paying for it.

I mean at this point I was so pissed but I admire his chutzpah. Wait no, fuck that faggot. I wanted my money back and they wouldn't even do that because I had no proof. Then my contract ended with them, and I mean ended, I did the two years and got to the end and that was it so story over, right?

Fuck no! They charged me 400 dollars for an early termination fee even though I literally just finished my contract! Fuck Sprint in their stupid goddamn asses. I do not know how they are still in business but I look forward to their eventual bankruptcy.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nunbeater View Post

Do not go through Sprint, at all unless you like talking to some asshole for about 8 hours every weekend. I know it sounds ridiculous but I seriously would spend 4 hours a day 2 days a week talking to Sprint trying to get their fuck-ups fixed. The best was when some bitch offered me a free 3 month trial of some service or other. I politely declined. She kept insisting, telling me it was free for three months and how easy it was to cancel the service after the three months. I still declined because I know how Sprint operates and free and easy to cancel are not their fucking forte. Anyways this cunt keeps pressing the issue until finally I agree so I can get off the fucking phone with her.

So, two and a half months later I call Sprint regarding this free service that I can easily cancel after three months and I say hey, I want the free service that I literally never ever used shut off. The guy was like I'm sorry sir, that is not a free service. I was like no, the last time I was on the phone with you fucking retards the lady told me she would give me this service for free for three months. So the guy is like no, she was not authorized to give you this service for free for three months and you have been paying for it.

I mean at this point I was so pissed but I admire his chutzpah. Wait no, fuck that faggot. I wanted my money back and they wouldn't even do that because I had no proof. Then my contract ended with them, and I mean ended, I did the two years and got to the end and that was it so story over, right?

Fuck no! They charged me 400 dollars for an early termination fee even though I literally just finished my contract! Fuck Sprint in their stupid goddamn asses. I do not know how they are still in business but I look forward to their eventual bankruptcy.
    This is exactly what I have heard on every review about sprint. I know a girl who was in the store for 7 hrs yesterday waiting for her phone to get activated. Obv they blamed it on Verizon

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nunbeater View Post

I mean at this point I was so pissed but I admire his chutzpah. Wait no, fuck that idiotic. I wanted my money back and they wouldn't even do that because I had no proof. Then my contract ended with them, and I mean ended, I did the two years and got to the end and that was it so story over, right?

This doesn't surprise me.

My ex-girlfriend Miri had them, and between regular billing fuckups (never in her favor) and reps promising one thing and doing another, I was also on the phone with them constantly.

Their reps are really passive-aggressive, to where they tell you what you want to hear, but do something else about 75% of the time.

Forgot about that because it's been so long, but yeah, avoid Sprint.

Load Metric
    Yeah, I thought that Sprint could pull a Domino's and make how bad they used to suck into a marketing campaign but the thing is, they still suck that bad. The customer service is still shit and it is way too much hassle to get anything done.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Beware that TMobile has horrrrrrrrrrrrrible customer service,

*giggling*
    Load Metric

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by fluffer View Post
    Steve Jobs rolling over in his grave right now.

Actually, maybe not.

iPhone 3G phones had major issues with iOS 4 that basically broke the phone unless you downgraded (which the average consumer wasn't able to do), and Apple didn't seem to give a shit about it.

Thread Information