Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil prices this winter

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

oil prices this winter

can't remember when they were this low in the nyc area. it has to be over 5 years ago.

gas @ costco and bj's is in the 3.40's..and the norm is around 3.51-5

thinking about prepaying in for home oil @ 3.49pg..

since everyone here is an expert at everything, what is the correct move here regarding pricing?

Load Metric
    If you think you are getting a good price and won't stress if it goes down then lock it the fuck up. If not then roll the dice.

Load Metric
    Absolutely no one can predict the price of oil in the future. My father is the largest retail seller of gasoline in an area that services over 1,000,000 people. He started with one gas station. He is also one of the smartest people I have ever met. The oil business is his life. In the few times he has speculated in the futures market for oil, he has gotten killed. Trust me, he can't figure it out, no one can.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    Absolutely no one can predict the price of oil in the future. My father is the largest retail seller of gasoline in an area that services over 1,000,000 people. He started with one gas station. He is also one of the smartest people I have ever met. The oil business is his life. In the few times he has speculated in the futures market for oil, he has gotten killed. Trust me, he can't figure it out, no one can.
    You should further expound on your father's business endeavors, would be interesting content IMO.

Comments

jsearles22: He runs gas stations you fuckwad

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt View Post
    You should further expound on your father's business endeavors, would be interesting content IMO.
    Maybe your just looking to scuffle with Jay.

The lesson is his father was in oil distribution his whole life. He knew the retail business. He was as knowledgeable about demand as anyone.

Still couldn't game the futures.

No one fucking knows the long term direction. Futures are a good hedge but are better gambled only short time frames.

Pretty good story to make a point.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  309.6 KB

Bonus
    Great podcast. Using "Trading Places" to discuss futures trading. You can now skip the William & Mary financial markets class. Worthless anyway.
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2013/...trading-places

Comments

Wiganer: Jamie lee Curtis tits reps
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 09-18-2014 at 09:20 AM.

Load Metric
    Not going to do that. I have no problem with people here knowing my history, but my family members is another matter.

Comments

YUUP: Druff dupe?

Load Metric

Not going to do that. I have no problem with people here knowing my history, but my family members is another matter.
    Okay whatever.

With all due respect being an "oil distributor" in a certain locale has very little to do with trading derivatives. In fact, I would assert that it has almost no relevance and provides practically zero edge when dealing with that particular financial instrument.

Comments

ftpjesus: Well said and definitely accurate.. Retail market prices have zero to do with how fucked up the speculators get at times..

Sanlmar: Gotta give it up ...

Load Metric

Okay whatever.

With all due respect being an "oil distributor" in a certain locale has very little to do with trading derivatives. In fact, I would assert that it has almost no relevance and provides practically zero edge when dealing with that particular financial instrument.
    Gotta give it up to the kid. My son the business major woulda given me a blank stare.

Where do you go to school Krypt?

You are actually right as oil is more a proxy on the world economy and industrial production than anything to do with home heating demand.

Right now it kind of says things aren't so great.

Load Metric
    Kogod School of Business, American University

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by mulva View Post
    can't remember when they were this low in the nyc area. it has to be over 5 years ago.

gas @ costco and bj's is in the 3.40's..and the norm is around 3.51-5

thinking about prepaying in for home oil @ 3.49pg..

since everyone here is an expert at everything, what is the correct move here regarding pricing?

Agreed.. I actually had to take a hit and then do a short on North Sea Crude due to prices now below $100 (97.80 currently). West Texas is down near the $90 ($92.40) line as expected (they tend to mirror each other in the 10-15 range with North Sea the high priced commodity so narrowing of the two is interesting). Also noticed weird Asian session/currency flux as Yen took a hit along with Aussie Dollar today.. Also of note Gold, Silver and Platinum are all still bearish right now but the metals are expected to rally starting mid 4th qtr.

The biggest issue with oil will be the weather.. Colder then normal winter will spike oil prices because it will cause Heating Oil to jump along with a smaller jump in NG.. Side note still trying to figure out whos fucking with bitcoins again.. Price has slowly trended down for last week a total of $50-60 depending on market.. Anywhere from 406/12 bid/ask price vs 420/26 on the other primary trading market..

Comments

Sanlmar: Forex Jesus stories. More plz

Load Metric

Okay whatever.

I wanted to add one other thing and didn't think comment was the right part.. Some of our lovely liberal friends refuse to accept the fact that the US dollar has lost a huge chunk of value.. Prima Facia case is this.. In 2005 Hurricane Katrina caused oil prices and gas prices to skyrocket Gas here in AZ (I was out here for my cousins wedding Labor Day weekend) was roughly 3.20/gal and Oil was at approx. $145-$150/barrel.. In camparison gas prices are pretty close depending on where ya go here in Metro Phoenix however the price of Oil is over 1/3 less now (below $100 a barrel as of this morning).. Given the normal correlation between Oil prices and gas pump prices.. Gas SHOULD be in the low $2 range however due to the devaluation of the US dollar due to trillion dollar budgets and people like our resident glue eater who think somehow federal spending is all a shell game while it maybe somewhat its very much a reality we are so far in debt to China and others our bonds and the interest on them will eventually start to inflate due to credit risk and devaluation (Yes you can try to lower you supposed debt by devaluating the currency but it does your population little favors because it directly causes inflation to drive up prices). Bond prices go up interest rates on everythingelse will to.. We've been spoiled and I fear we are going to suffer the same issues Japan did with their forceable manipulation of interest rates to nearly 0 (essentially what the fed fund rate is now).. It took 20 yrs for Japan to fix that mess they made..

Load Metric
    While you are correct on all counts FTP. Are you actually trading long positions on these beliefs?

You can be right and broke as the market can be "wrong" for longer than your bankroll.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    ive seen gas prices @ 3.25 which is the lowest I have seen in quite some time

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    I can see a gas station out my office window. $3.08 currently

Comments

Crowe Diddly: Fill up the riding mower while you can rep
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    gas is a ripoff where i'm from.

don't know what i'm going to do, but when the oil companies suggest you lock in, maybe i should wait. my neighbor thought he got a good deal locking in at 355..which is good when the past few years it;s been 370>400

historically, every pricing model has oil going up in Jan/Feb..but this is a different year, and it's never been this low.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    I can see a gas station out my taxi cab window. $3.08 currently
    FYP

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post

I can see a gas station out my taxi cab window. $3.08 currently
    FYP
    Nice, although in my head I pictured jsearles working at a gas station and looking out across the street at the competition.

Comments

Baron Von Strucker: LoL

Load Metric

Comments

LegalizeMeth: best gif ever rep

Krypt: If there was an official GIF HOF, this would be first ballot

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post

I can see a gas station out my top floor corner office window. $3.08 currently
    FYP

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  107.5 KB

Comments

Baron Von Strucker: LoL
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric

Okay whatever.

You are correct. But my father is the kind of guy that reads Investor's Business Daily on vacation! My point still stands. There are simply too many factors involved in "guessing" oil prices and their associated by-products in the short term future. Weather, the world economy, and political instability are just a few.

I am just trying to respond to one poster's request for help. Ignore my advice at your own peril. If you can actually predict future oil prices, please contact me, I have a million dollar a year job waiting for you. Of course, if you could, every firm on Wall St. Would want to hire you as well.

Thread Information