Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giancarlo Stanton nailed in the face, out for season, brawl later occurs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Giancarlo Stanton nailed in the face, out for season, brawl later occurs

Brutal. He's out for the season, hurting his MVP chances (though there's only 17 games left).

Amazingly, it was ruled a strike, NOT a hit-by-pitch, since Stanton "swung" at the pitch! I don't agree. Most of the swing was his reaction to being nailed.

The next batter was also hit, touching off a brawl sparked by Casey McGehee.

Marlins hit Carlos Gomez in the 6th in retaliation, and that pitcher and the Marlins' manager were ejected.

Stanton suffered "multiple facial fractures and dental damage". Ouch.

Clayton Kershaw will probably be MVP now, especially if he finishes strong.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...rial&hpt=hp_t2

Comments

son of lockman: ouch...

lewfather: yea, that's a strike. the 2nd batter hit was also a strike, even the commentators confirmed this. lol

manowar: you couldn't be more wrong on this one

Banned
    Load Metric
    That's a strike

Comments

tony bagadonuts: :this

son of lockman: got fliers on my fantast team :)

Dan Druff: no

RichardBrodiesCombover.: Striiiiiiiike

GrenadaRoger: yep...and Druff proves his knowledge of baseball rules equals his knowledge of political history

nunbeater: one of these things is not like the other

Banned
    Load Metric
    Just because you got beamed in the face and you're bleeding everywhere doesn't make it not a strike druff, at no point during his swing is he ever pulling back. No hesitation what so ever, the next batter was also hit by a pitch, which caused a "brawl" guess what? called strike.

Comments

son of lockman: yep a strike as he swung at ball. obvious.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Really a better question is why is he even swinging in the first place? The pitch is OBVIOUSLY WAY UP and INSANELY INSIDE. Why do we know this? It hit him in the FUCKING face!

Comments

DirtyB: That's what I was thinking

Banned
    Load Metric
    lol and the ball hits him on the outer side of his face of all things and he's still swinging.

im glad druff runs PFA and isn't out there calling balls and strikes.

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Looks like he is trying to check his swing at the last second, but fails cuz a ball hits him and bashes his face to smitherines.

Load Metric
    Ball or strike? Who cares? That's the joy of the NL. No Brewers pitcher will be safe from a beanball for years. That was part of god's divine plan. It is just a shame they don't meet up again this year.

Hit under the eye?

The difference between a superstar hitter and a good journeyman is so small. Maybe you are suffering something as benign as middle aged eyes like Pujols. Kiss the numbers goodbye.

In a case of insane irony (life is a cruel bitch) this story gets filed just before the incident. Too late to stop the presses & retract.

Giancarlo Stanton rumors: Marlins to offer franchise-record contract to Stanton, Nightengale reports

Anyway, the Brewers have collapsed in as sickening a fashion as Stanton.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    In other news what many of us thought all along has come to the surface. Chris Davis is a juicer of amphetamines! 25 game suspension! NH sir, WP! Could be a blessing in disguise though cause the kid is hitting .196 this year.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11...d-25-games-mlb

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Stanton should have turned his face back. He was leaning in and didn't even pick up the ball. Hard to do because pitchers don't come inside much

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    In other news what many of us thought all along has come to the surface. Chris Davis is a juicer of amphetamines! 25 game suspension! NH sir, WP! Could be a blessing in disguise though cause the kid is hitting .196 this year.

Someone needs to explain the difference between roids and amphetamines to you.
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I don't agree this is a strike. He was starting to swing, but had he held up at the point when he was hit, it would have been a ball.

The remainder of the swing was not a real swing, but a reaction to getting hit. You can theorize that he was going to complete the swing anyway, but that part of the swing shouldn't be considered, since it was obviously being done in reaction to being hit. (I don't think anyone believes that Stanton was still attempting to hit the ball after it nailed him in the face.)

I think the swing should be considered over as soon as the ball makes contact with the person. If the swing would have been considered checked at that point, then what happens after should be irrelevant.

I don't know the official baseball rule on that, but that's how it should be.

Comments

Hockey Guy: Agreed.

lewfather: how it should be lol

anonamoose: his arms are halfway across his body before the ball even hits his face

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post

Yeah, I don't get too bent out of shape about this. It's not like they weren't using these for like, forever. It's not something that anybody can claim will make the record book obsolete.

He's still an idiot though.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    Stanton should have turned his face back. He was leaning in and didn't even pick up the ball. Hard to do because pitchers don't come inside much
    Pitch tailed in pretty quick.

Who knows what Stanton was expecting Fiers to throw. Prolly guessing outside.

You're right, pitchers don't come inside very much. Kids are all armored up. There is no fear from the hitters. You don't gain anything as a pitcher. Batters rarely back off anymore.

The hockey pads have taken that aspect of the game away from pitchers.

Stanton could have ended up dead with ball to temple?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

I didn't say steroids sir and don't have a problem with amphetamines but rules are rules.

I was making a crack of it but I wouldn't be surprised if Davis did roid it up at some point.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

You're right, pitchers don't come inside very much. Kids are all armored up. There is no fear from the hitters. You don't gain anything as a pitcher. Batters rarely back off anymore.

Irregardless, he may never play again.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric

I didn't say steroids sir and don't have a problem with amphetamines but rules are rules.

I was making a crack of it but I wouldn't be surprised if Davis did roid it up at some point.
    He also did an interview last year(June I think) where he said MLB testing was the toughest & he doesn't understand why anybody would take the chance & try to beat it. He was talking about steroids & not amphetamines, but it still makes him look like a total hypocrite.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Load Metric
    this article I believe gives insight on why the batter had a hard time getting out of the way of the pitch: basically it says a high inside pitch is effectively faster than all other locations..

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/201...-perry-husband

the high inside fastball gives the batter less time to react--to hit it he has to bat in front of his body, that means the bat must travel farther during his swing, hence he needs to start his swing earlier...

by contrast, a pitch low and away allows the batter to start his swing later because the bat does not need to be in front of his body...

thus, a pitch thrown high and inside at the same speed as one throw low and away will leave the batter far less time to react and seem if the high inside pitch is way faster..the article summarized the research of location data over several years to reach these conclusions and thus provide guidance/theory for pitch selection during games...basically it claims any two consecutive pitches more that 6 mph different in speed are difficult for a batter to time...but the location also factors into the effective speed of a pitch, with a high inside pitch effectively being +5 mph greater than the same pitch thrown in the middle of the strike zone, and the low away pitch -5mph different..it also notes that major league batters are conditioned to hit pitches with an effective speed of 90mph...they adjust quickly to other speeds, but need a few pitches to dial in...

here the batter saw the pitch as high inside and started his swing early--he was committed to hit , but did not recognize the pitch was coming into his face until to late to bail

Comments

Sanlmar: Solid
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 09-12-2014 at 03:19 PM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    GUy took it like a champ though. Just sitting there spitting up the insides of his mouth.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Only God can judge me. So either LOVE ME or LEAVE ME ALONE"

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

Irregardless is not a word. Please never use it again.

No offense....just a pet peeve of mine.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post

Irregardless is not a word. Please never use it again.

No offense....just a pet peeve of mine.
    I knew somebody would make this post. I didn't expect it would be you though.

Comments

Pooh: You're welcome
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Thread Information